Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:20 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: ArchosFans site
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:16 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So the HP, N810 and other threads got censored. First time this has ever happened on this forum. Accounts from long standing members have been locked off as well.
Looks like the free expression of speech has been halted by the site owner. This is a very slippery slope to go down. How can you trust a forum where this happens? Will advice be accurate? Will news be real or not? No one will be able to tell.
If you do not like this then I can only suggest you lodge a protest with the moderator team.

If this thread disappears it will demonstrate the depths the owner will go to.
Remember it before it goes and protest if it happens! Democracy usually wins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:23 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I just received this reply from Archos:

[Ticket#: 20306119] Forum.Archosfans.com‏
Sent: Wed 10/24/07 6:53 AM
To: Alan Kayser ([email protected])
Cc: [email protected]

Alan Kayser,
That forum, unfortunately, is not owned or moderated by us, but rather by a
normal group of users. All we can really suggest is that, if you find the
policies and moderators there not to your liking, you not frequent the site.
It is not something that we have any control over.

Thank you,
James E
Archos Technical Support

Now, not to be paranoid, but it seems rather odd to me that I would get this at 7am Eastern time in the US. I do believe that Archos is in California where it is 4am. Do tech ppl work at this hour? Maybe their messages are delayed or something. Plus, I did not send this email to the tech department. Notice there is a ticket #. Plus when did Archos ever respond so quickly to anything? And what is a normal group of users? I guess Archos is getting better at responding to customers. Or is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

censored, trying to post like this with a newly created account anonymously, trying to make it look like someone else is on your side, is that what you call democratic behaviour in a forum?

missionsparta has previously setup fake usernames to vote more than once in polls and to ridiculously make it look like other people agreed with him.

Let me guess, censored is probably either alankayser or mitchelln.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:43 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

How about someone sending a fake email? Does Archos really send emails at 4am or even 7am? And why would I post with my own name and a fake name?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:12 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

alankayser wrote:
How about someone sending a fake email? Does Archos really send emails at 4am or even 7am? And why would I post with my own name and a fake name?

sending a fake mail that appears to be from Archos? Now your stretching it, seriously...

it's not that easy to do and can be checked quite nicely in the mail headers if that would be the case...

oh and democracy / freedom of speech in a forum? Doesn't apply. No forum's a real democracy, the ower makes the rules and the rest either abide by them or bear the consequences.

Newsflash, just about every forum censors some things, be it either rude language, spam, flamebaiting or for example making false statements on purpose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:24 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

What I posted is exactly how I got the email. My suspicions were aroused due to getting the email at 7am Eastern time in the US. I mean isn't it a bit curious that an email would come at that hour, also figuring that Archos is, I think, on Pacific Time, 4am. Just doesn't seem right.

Here is the header:

If anyone takes offense at my curiosity, I would like to know if they, or anyone, has ever:

1) received a reply from Archos about any topic within less than 24 hours
2) received a reply at 7am

Just curious. And Cold_Death, if that's you real name
:lol: , I did not point the finger at anyone. It was a general statement. Only the guilty would be offended.

And someone pointed the finger at me accusing me of using a fake name to post. I, in fact, use my actual name. It is Alan Kayser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax wrote:
censored, trying to post like this with a newly created account anonymously, trying to make it look like someone else is on your side, is that what you call democratic behaviour in a forum?

missionsparta has previously setup fake usernames to vote more than once in polls and to ridiculously make it look like other people agreed with him.

Let me guess, censored is probably either alankayser or mitchelln.

This new account is not alankayser. It's the guy who's normal account mysteriously stopped working yesterday evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:11 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

alankayser wrote:
What I posted is exactly how I got the email. My suspicions were aroused due to getting the email at 7am Eastern time in the US. I mean isn't it a bit curious that an email would come at that hour, also figuring that Archos is, I think, on Pacific Time, 4am. Just doesn't seem right.

Here is the header:

If anyone takes offense at my curiosity, I would like to know if they, or anyone, has ever:

1) received a reply from Archos about any topic within less than 24 hours
2) received a reply at 7am

Just curious. And Cold_Death, if that's you real name
:lol: , I did not point the finger at anyone. It was a general statement. Only the guilty would be offended.

And someone pointed the finger at me accusing me of using a fake name to post. I, in fact, use my actual name. It is Alan Kayser.

Well for one that's not the complete header, the complete header includes much more information, like what server the mail went through etc. Most mail clients can display that, Browser interfaces from mail-providers not so much.

And no, that isn't my real name of course, I don't use that on any forum as a username.

Also, who knows where that mail was sendt from really (as in country etc.), or if it was held up at some point, so any given time you received it doesn't mean that much.

Also i don't take offense in your doubting the origin of the mail, i just find it curious how paranoid you are acting with this even if you state "not to be paranoid"...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:30 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Well, what I posted is exactly how it came in. If you can tell me how to get more info I will gladly look for it. But that is how I got it in Hotmail.

As for being paranoid, not really. I was just very surprised to get an email from them at that hour. Also, since I have only heard bad things about them responding to emails, it was strange to get a reply in less than 24 hours. Plus the reply came from tech. I sent the email to a different address.

So, there you have it. Add that to what's been going on here lately and it's not difficult to be rather suspicious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:02 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

If you are using Hotmail i don't know how to get the info from there, never used it. Your using the web browser interface i'd guess?

Maybe there is some option to display the complete header information somewhere, but i wouldn't count on it...

Beeing surprised is one thing, suspecting someone else wrote that mail as a fake is another thing completely

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:12 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I think we need a 'Conspiracy Theory' forum added. Sincerely, Chris (IF that's my REAL name)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:18 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I did not accuse anyone. Instead I said it was suspicious and strange. Perhaps to you that is synonymous with accusation.

What I would like to know is if anyone on this forum has ever gotten an email from Archos at 7am. I think that's a pretty fair question.

But of course if I post this anywhere but here it will be banned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:26 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

alankayser wrote:
I did not accuse anyone. Instead I said it was suspicious and strange. Perhaps to you that is synonymous with accusation.

huh?

myself wrote:
suspecting someone else wrote that mail as a fake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:27 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Cold_Death wrote:
alankayser wrote:

huh?

myself wrote:
suspecting someone else wrote that mail as a fake

edit: well... "suspicious" and "suspecting" is kinda synonymous isn't it?

oops, wrong button by accident...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:39 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Well, your statements would only apply if indeed I had pointed the finger at someone.

Again, I'll ask you directly. If you got an email from Archos within 24 hours of sending it, and at 7am, knowing Archos' track record of taking days-weeks-months-never responding, under the circumstances that it was sent would you be:

1) curious
2) somewhat curious
3) very curious
4) all of the above
5) none of the above

And why are you not recognizing the source of all this bickering? Well, since I have been through the mill here, being bad mouthed, called names, etc, I feel justified in asking. No need to answer, it's a rhetorical statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:17 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

alankayser wrote:
Well, your statements would only apply if indeed I had pointed the finger at someone.

Why? You brought up the speculation of email-faking, so in a way you did pont a finger at someone, of course not anyone specific.

Quote:
Again, I'll ask you directly. If you got an email from Archos within 24 hours of sending it, and at 7am, knowing Archos' track record of taking days-weeks-months-never responding, under the circumstances that it was sent would you be:

1) curious
2) somewhat curious
3) very curious
4) all of the above
5) none of the above

sure it would be strange, but i don't have any experience with the Archos service yet.

Quote:
And why are you not recognizing the source of all this bickering? Well, since I have been through the mill here, being bad mouthed, called names, etc, I feel justified in asking. No need to answer, it's a rhetorical statement.

I'm just saying that bickering, namecalling and badmouthing in a forum is an entirely different level from forging an email.

You have every right to be displeased about the happenings in this forum, but i'd think it would be more productive to keep the speculations more level-headed. I hope you can understand that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:53 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

alankayser wrote:
I just received this reply from Archos:

Alan Kayser,
That forum, unfortunately, is not owned or moderated by us, but rather by a
normal group of users. All we can really suggest is that, if you find the
policies and moderators there not to your liking, you not frequent the site.
It is not something that we have any control over.

Thank you,
James E
Archos Technical Support

Now, not to be paranoid, but it seems rather odd to me that I would get this at 7am Eastern time in the US. I do believe that Archos is in California where it is 4am. Do tech ppl work at this hour? Maybe their messages are delayed or something. Plus, I did not send this email to the tech department. Notice there is a ticket #. Plus when did Archos ever respond so quickly to anything? And what is a normal group of users? I guess Archos is getting better at responding to customers. Or is it?

Looks like there reading the forum soooooooo

Sort out the buggy units 605's 704's etc to give us ex archos fans something to be happy happy about.
Also sort out your customer services both side of the atlantic because your the worst company that I have had the mis pleasure of dealing with im still waiting for a reply to a few emails from a few months back.
Also get someone high up to read through this forum unless of course posts keep getting deleted because they will see that its not just one or two people having problems with archos units and if they all decide to try other products next time around then thats a lot of money to be missing out of off and who knows redundancies ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bainsyboy wrote:
Sort out the buggy units 605's 704's etc

Some batches of 704 WiFi units might have been buggy, the 605 WiFi is not. There seems to be more than 95% satisfaction from 605 WiFi users.

That is the whole point in going from Gen4 to Gen5, to not only improve the features and prices but also to improve quality control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:28 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

What forum are you actually reading charbax, thread after thread of bugs if you happy for Archos to rip off loyal customers then get ready to rename this website in a year or two's time to say SONY DVRS fan club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:34 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
Bainsyboy wrote:
Sort out the buggy units 605's 704's etc

Some batches of 704 WiFi units might have been buggy, the 605 WiFi is not. There seems to be more than 95% satisfaction from 605 WiFi users.

That is the whole point in going from Gen4 to Gen5, to not only improve the features and prices but also to improve quality control.

You must be very unhappy then that the 5% of the 605 owners that are having problems are all complaining via the 605 forum on your site.

Have ARCHOS released any figures yet on how many 605s have been sold thus far ??