Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:09 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:02 pm 
What really is causing all the riff on this board has nothing to do with the personal feelings between Charbax and members. It is actually a sign of everyone's frusteration with Archos, it's lack of support and fixing its broken prodicts, as well as the way it is treating its customers.

What is happening on here, is loyal Archos owners have been screwed over by Archos for the past year or so. As a result you are seeing a large backlash towards them. This has happened with other products and Archos is walking a very thin line right now. They are not big enough or popular enough to be able to pull stuff like this.

Charbax is right: now other company is building a mobile DVR. Unfortunatly, it is still up to debate of Archos is actually building a mobile DVR either. They may call it that, but it doesnt function as such. As stated earlier, Archos is the only company that really builds a mobile DVR (other than cowon), and they need to get as much support as possible, before someone like Microsoft catches on to this. If they continue to piss off a majopr chunk of it's supports, and someone such as Microsoft does come in; it's game over. Microsoft has its problems, but they do release fixes for their problems, not sweep them under the rug.

Apple was once in the same boat as Archos. Innovative, making products ahead of anything on the market, but small and vulnerable. They got were they are now, by treating their customers well. They constantly came out with firmware updates that fixed their problems, instead of just denying them. Look at an iPod today -- it may not have all the features you want, but what they do claim it does, it does. Archos on the other hand is to small to think it can just cram defective products down our throats. I have bad news for them -- they need us, not the other way around. They aren't Apple, Microsoft, Sony, etc. All of those companies built a fanbase by taking care of its customers in the beginning. Each of them may have their problems, but none of them tried to pull what Archos is doing, at the early stages of their companys' creations.

Archos; fix what you have done to alot of the 704 owners and what I am hearing is going on with the 5th generation units. If you don't take care of us, someone else will come along that will. And when that happens, it is all ready to late. We will be gone. You are prospering souly on the basis that you are the only competitor in your market right now. If Charbax is right, the demand is high for these units. If that is true, you will have competitors coming at you within a year. If you wait till then, it's already to late.

Hopefully you are smart enough to see that you have done massive damage to your reputation already. Don't believe me? Go to your local Best Buy or Target and ask any of their people in that department about the Archos. I have (just to see what they have to say). Both locations have told me that way to many come back defective. At Best Buy, the sales person told me, it is tought to sell something, when the display model is constantly locking up or breaking down. He then went on to say something similar to what I said. He told me it is a great idea, but he doesnt think it will catch on till someone like Sony or Apple gets involved and shows them how to do it right. Most people have never heard of Archos. So say this summer you first hear about a mobile DVR/PVP. You go to Best Buy to look at them. There is an Archos, a Apple, and a Microsoft. Care to guess which one people look at the least?

I wish you the best of luck Archos; with your track record you are going to need it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:27 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Missionsparta wrote:
What really is causing all the riff on this board has nothing to do with the personal feelings between Charbax and members. It is actually a sign of everyone's frusteration with Archos, it's lack of support and fixing its broken prodicts, as well as the way it is treating its customers.

I'm afraid in my case the tension is caused by all posts about competing products being flamed with unsubstantiated and completely unnecessary fanboy hatred. It serves no purpose other than to cause upset and no doubt total wonderment to forum members and visiting guests. There's too much fundamentalism causing problems round the world. It's really sad that a website devoted to something as innocent as an electronic gadget is infected with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:46 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Missionsparta, you make some good points. Archos loses its fan support when they stop supporting older models and rather than fixing the problems they bring out a new version. And, yes, your experience at Best Buy, Target, etc is right on the money.

I mentioned my intention on this forum, under the heading of "Competitors," of possibly buying a UMPC, and did indeed buy the Raon Everun. I never spoke poorly of Archos. Then came the flames. There was a constant barrage of negative comments, such as "stupid" "crap" "sucks" and worse. And constant numbers thrown out to support this position. Numbers that could not even be substantiated. It's fine to favor one product over another, but do it in a friendly non-confrontational manner. I visit other sites on a regular basis, mainly having to do with UMPC, tablet PC etc (UMPCportal, jkontherun, gottabemobile). Not one of them gets this constant flaming. It remains friendly and informative. After a while you begin to think that the person who is doing this on this forum has a mental problem. So, due his his attacks, the thread turns negative and just keeps getting worse.

Anyone new to this forum must get the opinion that there is a problem with Archos. I know if I were new here and read some of those negative posts, and the made up numbers, and the flaming, and the non-truths, I would quickly go elsewhere and find a different product to investigate. This forum, due to one individual, is no friend of Archos.

I, for one, hope this stops. I suggest taking a look at the other forums I mentioned to see how people are treated there. It's a world of difference. And no one gets locked out for stating their position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:14 pm 
I know Alan. I have been treated similar to you. Unfortuantly, at this forum, unless your post is a giant advertisment for Archos, you labeled an idiot.

I went a little over board a while ago, when I was treated like complete crap by Archos, after supporting it for so many years.

At this point, I am just sitting back and waiting for Archos to get theirs. Its coming; trust me. As stated above, as soon as a real major company catches on to this type of market, it is all over. And I will sit there with a giant grin on my face, thinking about the days when Archos told me to live with my $800 704 purchase, because they weren't obligated to fix anything. Archos has become the crazy a$$ ex-wife to me. I once loved her, but after kicking me in the [email protected] for so long, I can't wait to see her burn in hell.

Keep us posted on future products Alan...I enjoy reading your posts and being informed on possible replacement units for mine. Thanks for keeping it real in here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:29 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Missionsparta: My experience is different from yours, lucky for me. I have had 4 Archos devices, and other than returning my 604, never had much of a problem with them. I returned the 604 at the point the 605 was announced. I had enough of them upgrading without maintaining support for older products, like my PMA430. Great device, though. Anyway, my problem here has always been how people are treated, not with Archos products. You are right, if you don't come on here with just wonderful remarks about Archos then you are immediately flamed, called names, etc. When I posted remarks about the Raon Everun you would have thought I was the devil himself. Come on, man, get a life! The more I posted the worse the remarks. Then came a litany of lies and BS about iPods, iTouch, Nokia, and so on. Ridiculous. This is the worst fanboy site I've ever been on (I don't visit anything Apple). I suggest you visit a couple of the sites I mentioned to get a positive feel for what people are doing with their sites. There's lots of good stuff in the pipeline.

Too bad about that 704. That's a lot of money to spend to later be told, "Too bad." Hey, you could get an Everun for a little more $. Seriously, though, why wouldn't they fix it? Wasn't it under warranty?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:25 pm 
alankayser wrote:
Missionsparta: My experience is different from yours, lucky for me. I have had 4 Archos devices, and other than returning my 604, never had much of a problem with them. I returned the 604 at the point the 605 was announced. I had enough of them upgrading without maintaining support for older products, like my PMA430. Great device, though. Anyway, my problem here has always been how people are treated, not with Archos products. You are right, if you don't come on here with just wonderful remarks about Archos then you are immediately flamed, called names, etc. When I posted remarks about the Raon Everun you would have thought I was the devil himself. Come on, man, get a life! The more I posted the worse the remarks. Then came a litany of lies and BS about iPods, iTouch, Nokia, and so on. Ridiculous. This is the worst fanboy site I've ever been on (I don't visit anything Apple). I suggest you visit a couple of the sites I mentioned to get a positive feel for what people are doing with their sites. There's lots of good stuff in the pipeline.

Too bad about that 704. That's a lot of money to spend to later be told, "Too bad." Hey, you could get an Everun for a little more $. Seriously, though, why wouldn't they fix it? Wasn't it under warranty?

I reutrned it SIX times. Each with its own BS story and lies. After the first time I told them I wanted to return it. I was told to hang on to it because a firmware fix was coming. After the second time and now firmware fix, I told them I wanted to return it. They told me I went past my 30 days, to bad. I told them I did because I was told to do so by them because a firmware update was coming. They told me it still was, but it was to late to return anyhow.

The unit went back so many more times, each with it's own problem (sickening). After about 7 months and no firmware update, I became super vocal about it on here. Then a tech named NZ from Archos, on this forum, told me that the company was aware of the problem and working on a firmware update. I was told to sit tight, it would be on its way. Then he just started ignoring our PM's about the time the 705 was announced. Then about 2 weeks ago, another member of this forum called Archos about the firmware to fix our recording problems, and he was told it was dead. There would be no further fixes. The story is way worse than that, because if I typed each and every single episode down it would take 20 pages (for example, at one point I was returned a completely different unit than my cosmitically FLAWLESS one. It had cracks all over it, scuff marks from being dropped, something that looked like ketchup smeard across its back, and somethign else that looked like chocolate crammed in its usb port). The whole experience has been abismal and I have been treated like crap. I was curdious with them, up to about the 6 month and around the 5th return, at which point I relised that being curtious was getting me no where. That is when I let them have it. It has been down hill since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:06 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Wow, that's unbelievable. You can even return a car under the US lemon law, given the amount of problems you encountered. You would think they would have just given you a new one. After all, a happy customer is a return customer. But maybe it's the ownership influence, you know c'est la vie!

As I wrote, my only complaint with them has been lack of support for older models. Had they kept that in mind I think many posters here would have been happy to stick with them. I used to be very supportive of their efforts. But in the long run I felt a bit weary when about 6 months after buying the 604 they announced the 605. Now the 605 didn't seem like much of a leap from the 604, but it was just that I knew they would no longer support the 604 that did me in. So when I thought about how much I had already spent I figured it was time to go in another direction, UMPC. OK, they are much more expensive but:

Archos AV340 with the camera was about $700 new
Archos PMA 430 ditto
Archos JB20 $300 now a brick
Archos 604 $375

The Raon Everun $1049 including overnight shipping, plus a free extra $199 extended battery.

Do the math. No need for plug-ins, etc. Plus I can run my Office 2007 apps, GPS, BT, great video and audio support, etc. Now obviously this isn't for everyone, and it isn't a dedicated PMP. But it suits me and I posted it here to tell others about it. It is, after all, a Competitors thread. Then the problems started. Oh well, that's been gone over too many times.