Archos's Responce....

"Your Email is currently on hold.... expected time is 234 hours."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:19 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

alankayser wrote:
Quote:
Or the other way around, email HP to tell them how wrong their PDA designs are and that their only chance to having a future is if they partner with Archos or offer to do an acquisition.

I mean seriously, HP has no future? So they can't survive without Archos. Maybe I'm reading this wrong or I need another cup of coffee.

Yeah. It really looks like HP are screwed. http://h30261.www3.hp.com/phoenix.zhtml ... highlight=
The Personal Systems Group only made $519 million last quarter up 29% from the same period last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:00 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Quote:
HP PDAs have no future.

Oh, it's just PDAs now.

Note that the HP earnings do not mention number of units sold. So you can not extrapolate anything meaningful as far as how many of any one product they sold in the quarter. You could, of course, go on their website, count the number of products they have on the market, then divide their revenue by that number and voila! They sold a trillion billion of their PDAs!!! See. And you say they have no future. Feh.

Now do you think a company of this size would dedicate the time and money to something that has no future? Are they doing this just for fun? Is their R&D department bored? Are they looking to sell their PDAs to all the conservative suckers who buy UMPCs, iPhones, smartphones? All of the above? I NEED AN ANSWER HP!!

Isn't this fun?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The HP Personal Systems Group: business and consumer PCs, mobile computing devices and workstations.

This is far from just PDAs.

The PDA market is in decline 43% between 2006 and 2007.

It'll be in even faster decline between 2007 and 2008.

Anyways good luck promoting your useless PDAs on this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:40 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
HP PDAs have no future.

Prove it. Go on. I'm still waiting. I not trying to prove anything and you are totally failing in this respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:49 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I Quote:

http://www.itweek.co.uk/crn/news/2174578/wireless-email-demand-sees

Gartner Says Worldwide Combined PDA and Smartphone Shipments Market Grew 57 Percent in the First Half of 2006

Japan smartphone shipments tripled in the first half of 2006

Egham, UK, October 9, 2006 ÔÇö Worldwide shipments of PDAs and smartphones combined totaled 42.1 million units in the first half of 2006, a 57 percent increase from the same period last year, according to Gartner, Inc. Smartphone shipments bolstered the market growing 75.5 percent to reach 34.7 million units, more than four times the size of the PDA market. PDA shipments increased by 5.7 percent totaling 7.4 million units.

Plus:

Wireless email demand sees record PDA sales

Worldwide PDA market hits an all-time high with 17.7 million units sold over the past 12 months
sara yirrell, CRN, 09 Feb 2007

The global PDA market hit a record high in 2006 driven by demand for mobile data access, in particular wireless email, according to market watcher Gartner.

In total, 17.7 million units were shipped during 2006, Gartner claimed, an 18.4 increase on 2005, which saw 14.9 million units shipped. In addition, 60 per cent of all PDAs shipped offered cellular connectivity, up from 47 per cent in 2005.

Hmm, communist propaganda no doubt. Or maybe it's those damn conservatives. Or maybe Gartner is owned by HP. Yes, that's it!!! Eureka!

Oh well, Mitchelln, we have no valid points. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:29 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hey, that research thing you do is really neat alankayser! Perhaps it will catch on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:40 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yep, here is my secret method (please don't tell anyone):

1) Go to Google

2) type in PDA sales 2006 (or whatever year you'd like)

3) this article will come up on the first page

There you have it. Impressive, huh! Oh, I think I have told the world where I got my information and actually posted the website. What was I thinking?

Watch out for nasty propaganda from HP, Raon, Apple, Sony, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your numbers are totally wrong. They mostly are made of what should be called Smartphones, which is a phone with PDA capabillities.

PDA such as this latest HP one are in rapid decrease in popularity cause people buy Smartphones instead.

A minority of people with smartphones actually use the so called PDA functionalities. They just buy them cause they look cool at first sight, people are loaded with money and they like buying the higher end mobile phones which all are Smartphones.

PDAs are at a dead end. Dell's stopped making PDAs, PALM's gone, Loox is gone, Sharp had stalled/stopped it's PDAs... HP are soon going to be gone.

Anyways good luck praising the evil empire and all crappy products based on its OS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:18 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I need to get my eyes checked.

First of all these are not "my numbers." I clearly posted the website, perhaps you missed it.

I will quote for you again:

"Worldwide PDA market hits an all-time high with 17.7 million units sold over the past 12 months
sara yirrell, CRN, 09 Feb 2007

The global PDA market hit a record high in 2006 driven by demand for mobile data access, in particular wireless email, according to market watcher Gartner."

So end this argument by telling me I'm stupid or that the Gartner statement is crap, which is how you usually argue a point.

Some people just cannot admit they are wrong. I try to teach my girls (8, 10 and 20) to admit when they don't know something and not to be ashamed of being wrong. We all learn from mistakes. Maybe some people never learned that or are too possessed by their tech toys to live in the real world. Either way, clearly the numbers are there for anyone to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am not wrong, you are dammit.

Quote:
Gartner Says Worldwide Combined PDA and Smartphone Shipments

Gartner is not differentiating PDAs and Smartphones, they are doing somekind of combined study.

PDA are the s..., finished. Smartphones are soaring. People buying Smartphones primarilly are buying phones.

Parts of the old PDA market are satisfied with the PDA functionality of Smartphones even though you rarely get the same screen size and such.

How could Loox/Axim/Zaurus/iPaq/Palm all be gone, off the market, finished, good bye. If the PDA market was growing as you so ridiculously think?

Smartphone is not PDA.

Damn now I'm finished talking to you for good. I'm wasting too much of my neurones on this totally stupid conversation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:37 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
How could Loox/Axim/Zaurus/iPaq/Palm all be gone, off the market, finished, good bye. If the PDA market was growing as you so ridiculously think?

Erm. HP have launched a whole new iPaq range. It's being discussed here (at some length I may add):
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=8099

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Well it seems we are again labeled as "stupid." Here in the states it's classic when someone is on the bad end of an argument they end it with "f u." I guess on this forum it's calling someone "stupid." In my college days we had to take debating classes. Someone must have missed that class.

Wasted neurons but not answering a straight question. My 8 year old daughter can make a better argument than that.

Too bad that when the facts and numbers are right in front of you, you still can't admit to being wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gartner make studies paid for by different companies. One company asks for a combined PDA/Smartphone study without ever specifying if a PDA has or hasn't phone capabillities. They spin it like the company wants it. The company issues press releases. I wouldn't be surprised some PDA maker bought that study.

Smartphones are not PDAs. Smartphones are simply high end phones, also used by the business sector mostly for typing emails, SMS and synching with business contacts and calendars.

And you have NEVER asked me a straight question about my numbers, you aren't telling me which numbers you believe I made up, and I'm not calling you stupid, I'm calling this conversation stupid, it's a retarded conversation, everyone knows for years PDA market is in decline. And that some PDA manufacturers found a way to keep doing what they used to do with PDAs onto Smartphones (for example Palm). Cause Smartphones are a growing business and PDAs are NOT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:30 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I will make this real easy for you. One simple question at a time, so as not to upset your neurons.

You stated in another thread that the 605 was "faster" than the Everun. Specifically you asked how long it would take to take it out of my pocket, fire it up, and get music running, or video.

I did the test. It took 13 seconds.

My very simple and easy to answer question that I have asked you about ten times and which you have ignored every single time is...

Please test your 605 to see how long it takes to do the same.

I hope your neurons are still intact and that you are willing to dedicate perhaps 10 seconds to answer this. Thank you very much. I will await your answer then post the next question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:11 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Quote:
Gartner is not differentiating PDAs and Smartphones, they are doing somekind of combined study.

Wrong again:

This is a direct quote from Gartner, not me (which you keep stating)

Quote:
Smartphone shipments bolstered the market growing 75.5 percent to reach 34.7 million units, more than four times the size of the PDA market. PDA shipments increased by 5.7 percent totaling 7.4 million units.

Read that closely, "PDA shipments increased by 5.7 percent totalling 7.4 million units." They do indeed differentiate smartphones from PDAs. It's right there in front of your eyes. Read it!!!!! More than four times the size of the PDA market. Read it!!!

You just insist on spinning this in your direction. Funny, though, the PDA thread did not start with me. I got involved when you started questioning the data. Well, I posted the website and the direct quote from the source. You still have not posted your sources.

Nor have you answered my 605 question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

alankayser wrote:
PDA shipments increased by 5.7 percent totalling 7.4 million units.

Gartner is full of shit. They include Smartphones like Blackberry or/and smartphones based on Pocket PC or some other type of OS that was previously PDA and such in their numbers. It's totally fake. No where in their study do they say that a PDA does not function as a phone.

Dell, Sharp, Fujitsu, Palm aren't making PDAs anymore, so there is simply no way this year will see an increase in number of PDAs sold compared to last year. And in the past several years PDA sales have absolutely gone down.

Smartphones gone up, PDAs gone down. That's the absolute fact here since 2003.

Good bye, good night, see you next year. And thanks for coming in all these threads and wasting my time wanting to have your last word in talking absolute BS.

And you know about your Everun, I totally do NOT care about it. You can search for yourself videos of the 605 WiFi on Youtube if you want to waste your time comparing speed and comparing usabillity in different conditions. The Archos takes about 3 seconds to resume a song or video from stand-by mode, the stand-by mode which lasts 2 weeks on a battery. Good luck beating that with your 1 pound thousand dollar Microsoft brick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:46 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Please, let's stay on topic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:22 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks for all the fun. It's typical of you to claim that Gartner is full of...

Great argument.

BTW, why would you direct me to Youtube to see vids of the 605? Sounds very weird. Methinks this fellow who claims that the 605 is the greatest thing since sliced bread

DOESN'T HAVE ONE!!! If that isn't true then I will shut up and go away. But if it is true...

Come on, tell me I'm wrong.