Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:29 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:12 am 
Charbax wrote:
alankayser wrote:
"maybe that number will be halved"

Simple calculation, if iPod is 20 million units, Archos is 1 million in 2007, then 1/20th. Though Apple might be closer to 40 million. I'm not a fan of reading through Apple press releases, if you want to know their forecast of number of sold iPods in 2007 you can go read their press releases and come back here when you have precise numbers for ipods sold.

alankayser wrote:
"approx. 4 million PDAs in 2007"

Wikipedia and tons of articles talking about PDA sales shrinking the last few years.

alankayser wrote:
"by 2009 smartphone sales of 100 million"

Smartphones are 60 million today, growth till 2009 is projected to be 100 million. It makes sence, email/contacts/calendar and such is cheaper and cheaper to do and so is 3G and HSDPA cheaper to do so there'll be larger sales.

alankayser wrote:
"Archos sold 500,000 units"

Look at Archos 2006 sales press release, divide that number by approx average of 200Ôé¼ revenue per unit.

alankayser wrote:
"1 Archos for every 8 PDAs"

Calculation, PDA 4 million, Archos 500 thousand, use a calculator.

alankayser wrote:
"an HSDPA 606"

More than 12 official press releases talking about 3G+ which is HSDPA, look for them yourself if you don't trust me.

alankayser wrote:
"UMPC sales lower than Archos"

UMPC sales for 2006 was 500 thousand. There are articles, if you cannot find them then I'll look for them again.

alankayser wrote:
"2007 global UMPC sales at 700,000"

2007 forecast is something like this:

http://www.umpcportal.com/journal/2007/ ... casts.html

Not to start a fight with you Charbax, but they asked for refrences. Not generalizations. "More than 12 press releases" is not a refrence. It is just a "claim". Can you hook us up with some direct links?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:14 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Rather than a specific article, other than in one example, these are your calculations with a calculator. So you refute Gartner's PDA sales with your calculator. And you use total revenue divided by unit price to get units sold. And it might be 20 million or 40 million iPods... And Wikipedia has tons of articles, none of which you quote. You stated Archos 606 HSDPA. Where are the 12 official press releases that I can read in reference to a 606 HSDPA.

Oh, and about that UMPC vs 605 test, one which you questioned me about and which I answered. 13 seconds. Can't spare 10 seconds away from writing these posts to do the speed test? Maybe this will help:

1) turn on timer
2) take 605 out of pocket
3) turn 605 on from standby
4) play music
5) see how long it took

I give up, you'll never answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:29 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

BTW, can we all be friends and not bicker over who said what? And stop the name calling? And foul language? And taking things as personal? And making stuff up to support an argument?

Peace to all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:12 am 
alankayser wrote:
BTW, can we all be friends and not bicker over who said what? And stop the name calling? And foul language? And taking things as personal? And making stuff up to support an argument?

Peace to all!

So does this mean that my 704 isnt going to get a firmware update to fix its problems? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:01 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Missionsparta wrote:
So does this mean that my 704 isnt going to get a firmware update to fix its problems? :)

It will come just not for another few months....and be named the 706 :lol:. I kid.