Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:06 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:10 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

cb yes it will sometimes play all the files, the file i recorded tonight you can see it struggle at 1 hr 38minutes and 42 seconds tonight ( i Know exactly where to look due to experience :lol: ) picture goes blocky, but draging the time bar ect isnt really on for something that states it can record directly of the telly, perhaps they should have put records staright off the telly or a dvd via the docking station as long as the film or programme you want to record isnt longer than 1 hrs 39 minutes, which lets be honest regarding a film is too short, im going to record it again but change the settings and see how i get on.

Anyway have a great holiday, just remember dont try showing off the 704 if your going by plane if the film or programme you want to watch has been recorded in the highest format and is longer than 1 hrs 41 as your gonna look silly and so will Archos but it looks like Archos arent that fussed otherwise they would have rectified this problem by now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:20 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

well i changed the settings from 2500 bitrates to 1500 bitrates, picturewise on the unit at least, theres nothing in it really BUT once again i have been let down by Archos as 1 hour 39 or 40 minutes the screen frooze so baisically the 704 struggles to make a second file no matter what bit rate you use, what everyone needs to remember is, If say your using the 704 to record something like the world cup final and it goes into extra time and then penalties youre going to
1 get the unit to record it without any freezing.
2 Get the thing to play, as it will makes two files for anything over 1hr 39mins, and lets be honest that nowdays would be most films.
Bear in mind im only commenting on recording TV DVD via the docking station, also remember that i had this problem with the Ricky Hatton fight ( tapped all off it ).
Come on Archos sort this out, no disrespect to anyone but i cannot believe people can read all our problems yet still want the 704 wi-fi, I would stear clear & go for the 704 tv as they seem to be more realiable going by this forum.
Quick question i know about the avi limitations but is this fixable by a firmware update as im guessing the unit struggles to find or in the case of recording make a 2nd file hence the problems.
If anyone from humax reads these forums please hurry up and make a portable player as it will be just as sexy as the Archos products plus it will work plus your probably give it a 2 year gurantee like your pvr's.

Last edited by Bainsyboy on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:24 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Sorry about mistakes in above post but im using pda and cannot edit it at present

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:41 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Tried yet again to record film tonight and only got 38 minutes worth before it just stopped, unfortunately I think i have had enough and at moment its going back for full refund.
Im trying one last different film which is 1 hr 48 minutes in length.

Has anyone suffered any problems at all with the 704 tv, also to the techies what is the spec on the 705 like compaired to the 704, my main wish is to record directly from tv, dvd, web surfing would be nice but not really important

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:53 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Sorry to hear it didn't work again !!

I don't knmow what the main differences are between a 704WiFi and a 705TV, but the 705 isn't out until October and going by what I've read in the 605 forums, I wouldn't hold out much hope that it's going to be much better, if any, than what you have.

Perhaps get a refund and buy another 704 - you might just have a lemon of a unit !!

If I don't reply again tonight, I'll read all your comments when I get back in a week !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:31 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Have a good holiday CB, i reckon the problems most are suffering may be down to processor speed but am i clutching at straws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:22 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Well I have recorded another film but unlike the dvd case its not 1 hr 44 minutes it's only 1 hr 40, strangely though it did not make another file so plays ok.

Am now recording film that is 2 hrs 14 minutes ( well according to the case :lol: ) anyway it will definately be two folders worth so will see how it goes.

Im clearing the cahe on all recordings over 1 hr 40 minutes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Well Letters Of Iwo Jima recorded for just 55 minutes in total until the screen froze so yet again thanks archos, I really havent got a bleeding clue now on what to do, Im sick to the back teeth of this unit messing me about.
The Tech said that I had a dodgy unit BUT if I send it back then im gonna mess up my full refund from Archos.
Now although I think the AV420 is a great unit I cannot see me being able to go back to the screen size.

Unfortunately it looks like im at the end of the line with Archos as the 605 seems to be buggy as well.

Archos must know that people are struggling with both units but all you get is its a dodgy unit, Has anyone sent one back with same kind of problem just freezing ect and got one back that works as from what i have read is you get one back with the same problems