Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:51 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: audible free book offer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:18 am 

Hi guys,
i reacently cancelled my audible.com account as i realised i was paying £40 more a year being a member of the us site that i would being a member on the uk site!!?? also half the books i wanted were not avalible to me because of my geographic location - yet they were avalible to me most of the time on the uk site. So i was paying more for less!!.
Anyways, i decided that i would take audible.co.uk up on the free book offer (http://www.audible.co.uk/freebook47) then burn that free book and upgrade to 24 books per year at £109 (us site was $229.50 or £147 for the same plan).
I choose the book i wanted and got it, then went to my account to upgrade, the 24 book option wasnt there. So i decided that i would cancel the current 1 book free then £7.99 per month after.
When i choose to discontinue the membership they offered me 1 book per month at £3.99 for 3 months!!!
so thats 4 books for £11.97!!
if your already a member its well worth going though the cancel membership page and they will give you the offer!
just thought i would give this the heads up as its a cracking deal if your into audiobooks, i cant even borrow them at my local libary at that price...
roy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:06 am 

thanks. I think the us sites are afraid of selling a us version of a book that that has legal issues from the uk's quite extreme defamation rules. I heard amazon us got sued for mailing a single book to the uk where they were supposed to sell special versions with omissions. I happened to look up a history book i was reading on wikipedia, and it said the uk version had to omit criticism of the controversial author irving because he threatened to sue.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:51 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

viking wrote:
the uk version had to omit criticism of the controversial author irving because he threatened to sue.

:lol: Lol. Irving was a supposedly respected historian who was renowned for his meticulous research and unimpeachable cross-references in his books. He was also a Nazi apologist who sued the American historian Deborah Lipstadt for describing him as a "pro-Nazi who distorted facts to suit his political purposes". An expert witness was summoned to the trial and spent a long time investigating the footnotes in Irving's books and submitted a 700 page report listing all the omissions, misquotations and outright fabrications. Irving's reputation was utterly destroyed :lol: :lol: :lol:

Controversial?? No - a downright LIAR!!!!