Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:40 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:01 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I had already quite accepting any new Google YouTube app upgrades on most of my other devices, but now they've decided to mess it up on my 80 and 101 G9 tablets also. I WILL be sending them a complaint and asking that they at least include some kind of option for those of us that DO NOT WANT their foolish new user interface.

I think I covered everything that needs to be said in this video.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:22 am 

If ya turn a101 to portrait, you can slide the youtube video thumbnails to the left over the grey bar, and see 10 and two half vids. I am used to google dumbing stuff down to make them pay for themselves better, but...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:01 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

viking wrote:
If ya turn a101 to portrait, you can slide the youtube video thumbnails to the left over the grey bar, and see 10 and two half vids. I am used to google dumbing stuff down to make them pay for themselves better, but...

Ya, seems like both Microsoft and Google like to do weird things that somehow they "think" makes things easier, but yet really does the exact opposite.

Back with Android Gingerbread on my phone, if I wanted to put an app icon or widget on a home screen... all I had to do was just press and hold the spot I wanted to put it and then a pop up would display with a while list of things I could do. Then, just select Apps, scroll to the one I wanted, and when I tap it then it would go right in the spot on the home screen I had pressed.

With Honeycomb and ICS we now have to go into Apps and then drag it to one of the small screens, then things switch to the real full size screen, and then (if all the touch sensing hasn't already lost it already) drag to the spot you want it to be at. I really do not see where that is in anyway easier to work with at all.

In fact, I've actually been looking around for a tablet that still has Android 2.x lately simply because I can do so much more faster and easier with my old phone than I can with my G9 tablets (other than the small screen making typing hard, it really out performs my G9's for many things, and it only has a single core 800MHz CPU with only 128M RAM lol).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:22 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

viking wrote:
If ya turn a101 to portrait...

Speaking of turning sideways to portrait... The original carousel YouTube interface on the 80 G9 would have part of the very left items partially off screen, so to see what those actually were about I would have to tilt it to portrait. Apparently Archos (or Google) had not compensated for the 80 G9 being a 4:3 screen.

Also, it seem like Google is still hung up on how smartphone screens are used (normally portrait) and are missing the ball on how most tablets (including their own Nexus 7) are normally used (landscape).

Another thing that baffles me is companies putting 2 (stereo) speakers on one end of a device. Don't make any sense at all when you watch a movie (in landscape like any normal person would, and most apps switch to that anyway) with the stereo sound all on one side. At least Archos got that right with front left/right speakers on their 70b, but then screwed up on the 80 and 101 G9's with only one speaker on the back that ends up tight against the table when laying down flat so the speaker is blocked off.

Really does make one wonder just what the people designing these things are smoking sometimes lol.