Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:30 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:26 pm 

Google i hope your listening,
i love android, i love google, i personally dislike chrome.
The only real reason why i dislike the browser so much is because it keeps working its way onto my pc.
Ive uninstalled the program around 7 or 8 times now on each machine, and again today i had to uninstall it on my 3 machines after a adobe update.

The sad part is i would have eventually installed the software and used it as a replacement to firefox now you can adblock - but because of the malware way it forces its way onto my pc even when i tick the option to refuse the software im sorry to say i wont ever use the software.
Even skype (yes i know its microsoft) installs chrome for some strange reason.

Google need to re think thier approach to getting chrome to the masses, for me they have burned thier bridges, and im sure this goes for many many more users.

I know that a lot of people swear by chrome, but come on if it was really that good why does it force its way on to your machine even when the owner refuses installation.

One silver lining is its dead easy to uninstal - but i shouldnt have to do this.

One thing that does seem strange to me is windows 7 asks for permission for anything to install, but chrome always goes straight though on all machines, otherwise i would block it at the start....
anyone else notice google chrome acting this way??
roy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Nope, I haven't noticed Google acting this way. I did notice adobe does offer third party software during their installs all the time though and they always have it default checked to install the third party software, so you just have to remove the check mark. So as long as you are not one of the people that just click next/OK on every install window, you should not have this problem. I never installed Chrome without meaning to.
So I would blame Adobe for this for adding third party installs and have it defaulted to install them, not Chrome. Adobe sometimes offers open office and other third party instead of Chrome, so you may want to check if you have those and don't want them.
There seems to be more and more software that are installing third party software now, but they all offer to not install them, you just can't take the default options they give you.
What it comes down to is read every window and option you are presented during an install, don't just take the defaults because you installed the software before a hundred times.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:52 pm 

well everytime i hit "no thanks" chrome ends up on my system. Adobe are not giving the opt out at the moment either.
roy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:49 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I've never had that problem either.
I always uncheck the option to install additional software.
I just wish adobe flash player didn't nag to update as often as it does, although in a way I suppose that's a good thing.
I think most of the updates are security updates.
But if flash is working ok for you, you can always check the box next to "don't remind me again" or something like that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:49 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Quote:
Ive uninstalled the program around 7 or 8 times now on each machine

You need to carefully read every screen when you install or upgrade your software. Many of the installers have some slick programming to get you to mis-click and install something you don't really want. Personally, I think the Ask Toolbar is the worst of them all.