Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:02 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:35 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Aloha Allen,

I was wondering why I haven't seen you posting much anymore. Now I know.

I have two quick questions about the Acer and ASUS. How is the battery life and how is the touch experience with Windows 7? I read early on that Windows 7 wasn't the best "touch" OS. Is that still the case?

BTW, I agree with you on Archos. I just posted in another thread that I will probably move on from Archos when I upgrade my 10 inch tablet. There are sooo many other options now that I don't want to take another chance with Archos given their unwillingness to admit the problem with the USB and deep sleep issues. I will probably use my A5A for years to come (or until it dies) as you can't beat the DVR function.

Bax

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:28 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

baxjohnson wrote:
Aloha Allen,

I was wondering why I haven't seen you posting much anymore. Now I know.

I have two quick questions about the Acer and ASUS. How is the battery life and how is the touch experience with Windows 7? I read early on that Windows 7 wasn't the best "touch" OS. Is that still the case?

BTW, I agree with you on Archos. I just posted in another thread that I will probably move on from Archos when I upgrade my 10 inch tablet. There are sooo many other options now that I don't want to take another chance with Archos given their unwillingness to admit the problem with the USB and deep sleep issues. I will probably use my A5A for years to come (or until it dies) as you can't beat the DVR function.

Bax

Howdy Bax,

Battery Life:
The Acer W500 gets around 3.5 to 5 hours and the Asus EP121 about 2.5 to 3.5 hours, both depending upon task load.

Touch Input:
Both have capacitive multitouch screens. The Acer recognizes 4 to 5 touch points and the Asus 2. The Asus comes supplied with Wacom digitizing HW/SW and a Wacom pen. I bought an Acase stylus with the Acer W500. Both run Win7 HP.

AFAIC Win7's touch experience on both of my slates is excellent. It's different than iPad and Archos Android mainly because of the UI. Win7 has windows which can be moved and resized. iOS and Archos Android don't.

Other Input:
Win7 allows handwriting and voice input as well as the onscreen keyboard in addition to the normal keyboard mouse input. I find the input options more expansive on my Win7 slates than on iOS or Archos Android tablets.

Desktops/Homescreens:
Archos Gen8 Android has 5 Homescreens out of the box. Win7 has only one - the desktop. In the Win7 world Gadgets are the equivalent of Android Widgets. Android allows different widgets on different homescreens. To have multiple desktops with different gadgets in Windows requires installation of an aftermarket virtual desktop manager.

The edge here goes to Android.

Gaming:
The Acer W500 uses a low powered AMD C50 processor and the Asus EP121 uses a mobile Intel I5 processor. I don't do much with gaming but in my little experience I would give the edge to Archos Gen8 Android with accelerometer based games.

Overall:
I got both the Acer W500 2/32, $550 - 10.1 inches, and the Asus EP121 4/64, $1100 - 12.1 inches, from Amazon USA. I've had the Asus since mid March and the Acer for about two weeks.

I've owned the A70S since Nov 2010 and the A101 16 since December. I haven't updated since FW 2.1.08. I use the A70S more than the A101. But I'm not using either much since I got my Win7 Slates.

If I want to crash my Gen8s going to busy web pages with flash videos is all I need to do. The response of the stock browser on the Gen8s is so slow it's easy to crash Android.

No such problems with my Win7 slates.

In terms of usability my Win7 slates get the edge over my Archos Gen8 Android tablets by a wide margin.

Best to ya, Bax! :)

Aloha,

Allen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:45 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi Allen,

This is a good summary thanks. It seems it really matters how you are using these things. I am kind surprised the battery life is not a little better though.

At some point (probably sooner rather than later) I will need to upgrade my 101. I'll have to make sure I consider some of the non-Android tablets (but not an Apple product :p ).

Later,
Bax