Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:54 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:38 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

GPS and 3G would add 150$ to the cost, Archos didn't want it. Now, with Gen9 they are doing the same - they could make more storage, better battery, two usb-ports and other things, but it would add much to the cost.

P.S. We have Flash now through Appslib and nobody promissed us Market on Gen8.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:40 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Farsquidge wrote:
Yes, I keep every web page I viewed over 12 months ago backed up. ](*,)

Farsquidge wrote:
These are the EXACT words Archos used for the Gen8's release.... Quote: 'support for Flash, access to the Android Market'

Well if you don't keep every page, you apparently have a good memory to remember the "EXACT words" from 1 page. ](*,)
You sure on the Google Market promise for the Gen 8s?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:47 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Farsquidge wrote:
So it was a choice buy Archos to leave out all the hardware that every user wanted like GPS, Compass and 3G integration to deliberately make the Gen8's so that they could never be approved?

No, it was a choice to deliberately keep the price down, for which I'm grateful. Lack of Google certification is just a side effect. I'm sure the folks at Archos knew the certification requirements, and balanced the fact that they knew they'd never get certification without phone hardware vs the cost and marketing problems including it would have involved.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:11 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Heyyy.. guys...

I don't want to get into a semantic p**sing contest here.

If ya happy believing the word of Archos (via Charbax) of the promised land then good for you!

I hope all your dreams come true. I won't say I told you so.... :-#

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:14 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Farsquidge wrote:
Heyyy.. guys...

I don't want to get into a semantic p**sing contest here.

If ya happy believing the word of Archos (via Charbax) of the promised land then good for you!

I hope all your dreams come true. I won't say I told you so.... :-#

I'm not saying I believe their words or not, just saying I don't believe your words about their words. At least the Google Market part, the Flash part I agree with. I think you are incorrect on your recollection of the promised Google Market, never happened in Gen 8s.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:31 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Farsquidge wrote:
jfmcbrayer wrote:
(Actually, I can take back a little of what I said: Google certified a very few models of tablet running Froyo, not none. For example, the Galaxy Tab got certified because it's basically just the already-certified Galaxy smartphone with a larger screen. However, the Archos G8s were never Google-certified.)

So it was a choice buy Archos to leave out all the hardware that every user wanted like GPS, Compass and 3G integration to deliberately make the Gen8's so that they could never be approved?

Again your logic astounds me.... :|

That's correct. In order for Google to certify devices for the Market (pre honeycomb), they had to have 3G. Archos went the route of a cheap end tablet with no 3G to keep costs low. I don't recall them ever saying that Gen8 was going to get Market officially and it was no secret that Google required the 3G to get certified.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:29 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Yawn....................
Oh my. Another thread is telling me how bad Microsoft is. Oops. My mistake. This is an Archos forum. I'm supposed to complain that my machine doesn't do more than I expected from it. I just don't have the time. I'm busy on another forum complaining that my Ford doesn't have all of the capabilities of a Porsche.
Or is this thread a complaint about the forum. If that's the case then I want to wish that the cost could be lowered.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:24 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Actually i was following the new android tablets back then too (Was leaning towards Notion Ink at the time) and one of the biggest news as soon as review demos for the Gen8's was announced was Charbax confirming the google market hack that had worked on previous androids also worked on Gen8's. You may have seen that and assumed that it was an official android market, and/or confused Android Market with Google Market. We already knew back then that there will be no Google Market in Gen8's, hence, the confirmation of the market hack working was a relief.

You really think we'd have been fretting over the Market hack back then if we didn't know Google Market wasn't going to be included?

Plans for Honeycomb were already in place and google already made it very clear that they will NOT support Froyo tablets and focus their resources on Honeycomb. We knew and understood that from day one. The only froyo tablet eventually that got the market was the Galaxy Tab, and that was because it was still classified as a phone.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

@Farsquidge

Have you tried Copilot on the HTC?

[ if not why not :) ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

jamie41 wrote:
@Farsquidge

Have you tried Copilot on the HTC?

[ if not why not :) ]

Will try it but not sure if they have UAE maps. Route66 is built in (along with a full Office type app with editing and wireless printing)

Darn! There I go again.... #-o

Nope, not available in this location on the Market, will try it when in the UK when Market location restriction is disabled.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:47 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks for trying. I just wondered how good the GPS is.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:01 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

If you haven't realized it by now, don't buy hardware that says you will be getting X and Y features "soon". Buy it for exactly what it has at the time. If you go buy a honeycomb tablet right now with 3.0 with the promise that 3.1 and 3.2 is coming soon, don't come complaining on any forums when it doesn't happen. Stop being impatient and actually wait for hardware that meets your needs, or deal with the fact that you may need to buy something new in 6-9 months.

The 8in just seems like a very odd size. I love my a70(wish it had honeycomb though), exactly because of the size. It fits in most pants pockets and it is about the perfect size for a ereader which is my main use.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:22 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The problem that most people have with Archos comes from making them do more than they came with. Used as sold, they do pretty well. Some of their quirks are Android based rather than device based. My 7o is not rooted but does have the market and you tube hacks. My many thanks go out to the hackers and testers. Without you this product would be so much less. With that being said, quitcherbitchin. Buy it for what it is, push it for all you can, and accept it when it says "Please don't. I'm not that kind of tablet."

Looking at gen 9, don't buy one for what you think you might get it to do and complain when it can't be done. With every hack comes problems. Perhaps that is why Archos releases them without those same "enhancements".

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:50 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

beermebeerme wrote:
With that being said, quitcherbitchin. Buy it for what it is, push it for all you can, and accept it when it says "Please don't. I'm not that kind of tablet."

Oh.

OK then.

Silly of us not to think of that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

On the current firmware Bluetooth does not work properly to my stereo receivers using the built in stock music player or built in video player. You can't get much more stock than my 43, I'm not asking it to do anything that it did not claim to do. Bluetooth worked great with 2.0.71 but I can not get it back to that point because we are not allowed to go back that far.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:23 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Charbax sold me on one lemon already. "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice.........".

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:33 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

scottmcp432 wrote:
Charbax sold me on one lemon already. "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice.........".

I like lemons. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

As one who was on the interminable waiting lists for Gen 8 "tables" back around September 2010, I wouldn't fall for any of their marketing doublespeak.

I like my A70, but after everything we've been through over the last year, it is more like a Heathkit than a finished project. I like it as a Nook and Kindle reader, plus light duty web browser in bed. But, I just got an HTC Thunderbolt for "real" Android app running. The HTC phone is much faster, even though it has the same specs and resolution.

Archos has gotten all of the time and money from me that they ever will. This process has been amateur hour for a vendor, with all of the professionalism coming from the user development community. I say "Tsk, tsk, for shame, Archos."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:42 pm 

This has been moved. The amount of random topics, complaints, foul-language, and everything else in here does not warrant it to be anywhere but the OT section.

I was going to go through and warn everyone for foul language, but you know what... Go for it, but keep it in the OT section, and if anyone has any complaints with flaming, etc... Then I'll step in and deal with everyone that's involved. I hope you can act like adults, and keep it somewhat clean. There is no reason to use foul language while you're typing. Take a few extra seconds and think of a different word to use that won't offend anyone.

You're always entitled to your opinion, but remember to keep threads on topic, and keep your threads in the right section.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:52 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I've been with Archos in Gen 1, Gen 6, 7, and 8, plus the 7HT. I totally agree with every Farsquidge has said.

I resigned as a moderator because I no longer believed in Archos after my experience with my 70S and A101-16. I'm still on 2.1.08 because of all the problems I saw with the two later FWs. The stock browser experience on the Gen8s is a joke and my favorite way to crash my Gen8s.

Also, I resigned because I no longer believe in Charbax's ability to administer this site. Polls have been broken for well over a year. Roy Lovelock has offered numerous times to be added as an Admin; so far Charbax hasn't taken his offer; and he should.

Aside from all of this I regard Google Android as a mess. Forked in Honeycomb and supposed to come back together in Ice Cream Sandwich. I don't trust Google's ability to fairly administer Android across all the companies which want to implement it.

So, I bought an Asus EP121 4/64/64-4 and an Acer Iconia W500 2/32/32-6. They work out of the box and I've found my Win7 touch experience to be nicer than my Archos Android touch experience simply because the programs work as expected.

Allen