Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:52 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:52 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax you are a funny guy, i have never seen someone try to defend a product/company so much, are you sure you dont work for archos?? if not they should be paying you some major bucks!!

check the comments in this link below, its a shame you dont write as much in your own forum.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/23/archos-intros-80-gb-and-101-g9-android-3-1-tablets-1-5ghz-cpu/#disqus_thread

After all the drama with the gen 8 - wifi, usb, touchscreen, battery life, kickstand, flash, charging, RMA, customer services etc etc. if you dont know what im referring to just simply search these forums, be honest we have ALL at least expirienced one of these issues.

How you can honestly sit there and defend such a company. And to top it off only 6 months after purchasing my 101 you are now throwing the gen9 & Arnovas down our throats. I really really wanted to like Archos but it just seems that gen8 owners were guinea pigs testing the water before something bigger and better (obviously already planned) came along. Just curious as to how many of us actually came to the conclusion to purchase an archos device by what they had seen in a video or witten by the great man himself. :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:05 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

For me, the Gen 8 is the last of the line, as far as my loyalty to Archos goes. I still have my A605, 3 x A5ITs, and the A101. Up to the A5ITs Archos were miles ahead of the market, and technically innovative. For me, at least, their products have been physically solid. I've not (yet) had the A101 USB problem, but the long agonising wait for umpteen FW updates to get the thing working the way it should, has disillusioned me.

The market has caught up and passed Archos, so I now feel free to explore it.

My own opinion is that the A5IT, in both its forms, HDD and SSD, is the finest multifunction multimedia internet device made to date. That's why I have 3 - I hope they last a long time (I'd be lost [pardon the pun] without the GPS). I didn't need the A101, and really bought it out of curiosity. Frankly, it's pretty good, but, in earlier times, Archos would not have released it nobbled by its RAM and app storage. They'd have pushed the tech spec and charged accordingly. Their quality control would have been better too.

But that's just me.

In all honesty, I believe that Archos owes Charbax and this forum a huge debt. It's only been the technical input and friendly support available here that has kept them viable with their devices, over the past 2 years.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:06 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

This is all a matter of opinion. If you had a bad experience then who can blame you for being sour. If not you can not be blamed for singing praises. I have 3 Archos devices (see sig-actually 4 but I never used my 14 Vision.) and they all perform well for what they are. I travel a bit for work and all 3 have been put into service at one time or another. The clear winner for me is the A32 due to its size and capabilities. While the A70 and A9 both operate well, they are not geared to a comfortable working environment (for me and this is only my opinion). None of them have failed or left me stranded but I prefer the integrated real keyboard of my HP2133 to get work done. I just purchased an ASUS 1015PN netbook to try out as a possible replacement for the HP. Tablets are neat but I just can't type a long email response on a touch screen. The A70 is perfect to hop on to the net for a quick email check, Google search, or eBay query. And now that Neflix works it is nearly perfect (works on the A32 too).

As far as Gen 9 is concerned. Maybe. Maybe not. I think the user experience would need to get a whole lot better to justify an upgrade from the highly operational Gen 8 A70 & A32.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:41 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I am still waiting for 5" Gen9, may be with RK2918...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

[quote="jamie41"]For me, the Gen 8 is the last of the line, as far as my loyalty to Archos goes. quote]

I think i may be joining you soon on that. I've owned Archos products since Gen1 devices. They have been solid products for years. As a business traveller I've traveled the world with them. Even left/lost a couple on planes and had to quickly buy replacements.

I commend Archos for expanding beyond just selling multimedia devices to tablets, etc. After all that is where the market is rapidly moving and they need to stay competitive before the tablet and smart-phone market makes dedicated multimedia devices irrelevant. But Archos should focus on a select few solid devices just as they have done for previous generations. Right now we have a varied Gen 8 range that has a lot of OS and reliability problems and is just not as good as the leading competitors out there. When Gen 8 was released it had a pricing edge on the competition but in recent months prices have really come down across the board and Archos is really not that much cheaper than other equivalent devices. Now less that 12 months after Gen 8 hit the market, they will release Gen 9 devices. In between all this they have released their low end range products as well.

Seems as though they are just throwing stuff out there as fast as possible in the hope that some of it sticks. And with Gen 9 on the horizon i doubt we'll see much improvement and fixes with the Gen 8 O/S. Why would a small firm commit valuable resources away from their new product release.

How about Archos goes back to their old model of building a couple of devices each generation and making them work properly and reliably.
In terms of reliability, my Gen 4 device works better than my Gen 8 101.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:24 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

gibbo wrote:
Right now we have a varied Gen 8 range that has a lot of OS and reliability problems and is just not as good as the leading competitors out there. When Gen 8 was released it had a pricing edge on the competition but in recent months prices have really come down across the board and Archos is really not that much cheaper than other equivalent devices.

Really? As far as I can tell, all the devices that are better than the Gen8 devices are still a lot pricier. Not $150 more, like they were in December, but still $75-$100 more. And the announced prices on the Gen9s are still highly competitive (unless competitors prices fall a lot more before September).

I love my A70S, but I knew about its limitations before I got it. Price was the selling point for me; sfaict, the only thing in the same market segment is still a rooted NookColor running Cyanogenmod.

TL;DR: low end of the market is low.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Quote:
TL;DR: low end of the market is low.

Agreed. But how do you define "low". What are the defining characteristics of a "low" device? What is acceptable for the "low" price?

1) Low - Tech spec?
2) Low - Build quality?
3) Low - "Out of the box" functionality?
4) Low - Reliability? i.e consistent performance.
5) Low - All of the above?

For me, the showstoppers are now 3) and 4). I've done my time with devices which need techy input (over time) to get them to work. It's been fun, in a techy puzzle kind of way. But I'd now like to get functionality and reliability ou of the box.

However, as Steveb625 said (unnecessarily, I thought) "This is all a matter of opinion".

Whether I buy a £200 or £500 refridgerator, I expect it to chill food. Today, not in 3 months time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:53 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I guess it turned out to be necessary... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:14 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yes :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:42 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Well, I have already defected, but I hang around.

I have my A5IT 500GB which eventually after most of the bugs were fixed with updates (sound familiar!) became a top notch device. Then the battery died and LO! you can't get one replaced unless you send it back (RMA) for the pound of flesh cost.

I have my Gen 8 A70 which is OK, cheap (Charbax's mantra) slooow, bug ridden, but OK and Yeah CHEAP!! (say no more).

Then I bought a HTC Flyer 32GB 3G (sim free BTW Charbax so dont quote contract prices please) for AED2949 here in Abu Dhabi and by golly, the extra cost WELL worth the lack of hassle!! I hear they have dropped the price of the WiFi only in UK to less than UKP400.

Just holding the Flyer feels good, a little heavier than a 8GB A70 but solid. Display is crisp, viewable from all angles, non of the A70 weird image to each eye in portrait mode due to bad angles
Flip the display and it ROTATES, it does not dissappear whilst you twiddle your fingers waitin for it to refresh.

And HTC Sense 0n Gingerbread 2.3 is a dream, dual panel emails almost as good as Honeycomb, which BTW s arriving for it soon.

The addition of a pen so you can input on the screen is a little limited at the moment but I find it excellent to comment on any email or attachment then send it back.

OH, bloody 'ell. I sound like a a HTC version of Charbax. :D

At least one thing about Charbax has to be said, he may defend Archos, but he is always willing to let the other side speak or we would not have a competitors thread! ;) =D>

Last edited by Farsquidge on Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:44 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

You might well find low reliability in a lot of the higher-end, higher-priced devices as well; that's certainly what some of the 'grass is greener' type threads I've read here lead me to believe. I expect functionality out of the box to be better in G9, just because they'll have the Google apps and Market out of the box without hacks.

Other than the 2.3.26 firmware, nothing about the G8 A70S has been any worse than I expected of it going in.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:16 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

jfmcbrayer wrote:
You might well find low reliability in a lot of the higher-end, higher-priced devices as well; that's certainly what some of the 'grass is greener' type threads I've read here lead me to believe. I expect functionality out of the box to be better in G9, just because they'll have the Google apps and Market out of the box without hacks.

Other than the 2.3.26 firmware, nothing about the G8 A70S has been any worse than I expected of it going in.

Sorry, but us of past experience are not as gullable as you.

We were promised both Google Market integration and Flash for both the A5IT and the A70 via updates, as it was never provided 'out of the box', IT NEVER OFICIALLY HAPPENED!
You got it from the good folks here via hacks.

If they have not even achieved approval by now from Google for Gen 8 who's to say Gen 9 won't be the same???

Twice bitten..... :(

(It has always suprised me that most ethical forum sites dissaprove of warez, but thats just what the Google market hack readily posted for the last two generations was... Archos approved? who knows, just speculation. :doubt: )

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:35 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Farsquidge wrote:
We were promised both Google Market integration and Flash for both the A5IT and the A70 via updates, as it was never provided 'out of the box', IT NEVER OFICIALLY HAPPENED!
You got it from the good folks here via hacks.

There's a perfectly good reason for no Google Market on the Gen8 devices, though: Google won't certify any tablets that aren't running Honeycomb (and never has). No Honeycomb on Gen8 means no Google on Gen8. Gen9 has Honeycomb, so it's reasonable to expect Google Apps and Market on it, in a way it's not reasonable to expect for Gen8.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:43 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

jfmcbrayer wrote:
Google won't certify any tablets that aren't running Honeycomb (and never has). No Honeycomb on Gen8 means no Google on Gen8.

You have totally lost me there with your logic... :|

So, every other tablet AND PHONE!! out at this time with approved Google Market has Honeycomb??

PRAISE THE LORD!! my HTC Flyer has Honeycomb on it and I didn't know!! \:D/ #-o

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I think I just like my A70HDD but I'm never going back into Archos, wish I bought the Galaxy Tab...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:57 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

OH DEAR..

Just actually read the article mentioned in the first post closely.

These are the EXACT words Archos used for the Gen8's release.... Quote: 'support for Flash, access to the Android Market'

That in no way means it will come with them 'Out of the box'

'Support for...' and 'Access to...'

Most definately, the thread title is correct!

Last edited by Farsquidge on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:24 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Farsquidge wrote:
jfmcbrayer wrote:
Google won't certify any tablets that aren't running Honeycomb (and never has). No Honeycomb on Gen8 means no Google on Gen8.

So, every other tablet AND PHONE!! out at this time with approved Google Market has Honeycomb??

No, you didn't read carefully enough. Google treats phones and tablets differently in the approval process. Google has certified pre-Honeycomb versions of Android on phones only. You don't need Google certification to run Android, but you do need it to run Google apps, including the Market.

(Actually, I can take back a little of what I said: Google certified a very few models of tablet running Froyo, not none. For example, the Galaxy Tab got certified because it's basically just the already-certified Galaxy smartphone with a larger screen. However, the Archos G8s were never Google-certified.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:30 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Farsquidge wrote:

I was not around for the A5IT release, but I was for the Gen 8's release. I don't remember them ever promising Google Market. I remember them saying you get access to android apps or something but never actually remembering hearing it would get Google Market. I remember a lot of posts talking about it not coming with the Market but with Appslib. Do you have a reference to them promising Google Market. I want to see it. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:32 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

jfmcbrayer wrote:
(Actually, I can take back a little of what I said: Google certified a very few models of tablet running Froyo, not none. For example, the Galaxy Tab got certified because it's basically just the already-certified Galaxy smartphone with a larger screen. However, the Archos G8s were never Google-certified.)

So it was a choice buy Archos to leave out all the hardware that every user wanted like GPS, Compass and 3G integration to deliberately make the Gen8's so that they could never be approved?

Again your logic astounds me.... :|

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:37 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

MarcusMarcus wrote:
Farsquidge wrote:

I was not around for the A5IT release, but I was for the Gen 8's release. I don't remember them ever promising Google Market. I remember them saying you get access to android apps or something but never actually remembering hearing it would get Google Market. I remember a lot of posts talking about it not coming with the Market but with Appslib. Do you have a reference to them promising Google Market. I want to see it. Thanks.

Yes, I keep every web page I viewed over 12 months ago backed up. ](*,)

Time will tell, we had exactly the same A5IT to Gen8, all the rhetoric of it does everything possible and more. [-o<