Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:30 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Is your 704 WiFi working fine?
Yes, it works fine. 47%  47%  [ 18 ]
No, I have one or more serious hardware or firmware problems with it. 53%  53%  [ 20 ]
Total votes: 38
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Missionsparta has been complaining a lot in this forum, and claiming most 704 WiFi users have hardware or firmware problems. Do you? Please vote and comment here.

Results cannot necessarilly be representative of all 704 WiFi users since this internet forum is mostly about troublefixing.

If you have a hardware or firmware problem, describe it here as briefly and precisely as possible and describe an easy way to reproduce it. If it involves a video or audio file, try and upload a sample so other users can exactly try and reproduce the bug or try and film the glitch in action and post a video of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Not sure if it is the 704 or the docking bay, but still have the problem with recordings direct from cable box stopping early. It used to be random times to stopping, but after installing latest firmware it is now totally consistent, stopping exactly 35 mins and a few seconds after start. Size of file before stopping varies from 454 to 459 MB. Manual recording at 1500kb/s with auto set for source and format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've had a few issues.

The first is hardware. I have problems getting the unit to change. I don't know if the problem is the charger or the phug on the 704,

I've also seen two different issues with video playback. Which issue I get depends on which software built the video file.

The first video issue is an error in tracking the playing time of a video. About 8 seconds into the video the time remaining counter suddenly drops be many minutes. The result is that the video stops early.

The second video issue is the player crashing while playing.A video that crashes will do so consistantly at the same place. If I use the scroll bar to jump to a location past the crash the remaining video will play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Mine works perfect. Probably good though because i didn't buy from a shop i bought it off ebay so if it didn't work then i'd be up the creak without a paddle. :lol:

Archos 704 Rocks :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:31 pm 
That is 8 units so far that have taken the poll ... and four have problems. That is pathetic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Mine has finally come back from RMA - they eventually replaced it with a new unit. I don't know whether my threat of county-court action speeded this: it may be that they are currently on a 5-week turnaround anyway.

The replacement does not have the same problems as the original and is usable.

It works nicely as a media player, (apart from a stuck pixel), and if that is all I wanted it for I'd be happy. Unfortuntely, I've already bought a 404 and 604 (no wifi) that do this perfectly so I'm not impressed.

However, the wifi bits are still only marginally useable. Opera is very flakey. I counted 11 reboots/crashes in 2 hours web browsing (and this is with the latest firmware). My guess (and I'm an experienced professional software developer) is that Opera suffers from memory leaks and stack overflows. I've also experienced a few wifi bugs and crashes, but it is just-about usable for playing AVIs from my PC. It often crashes when it should shutdown after inactivity, which took me a while to notice. This is a problem as on these occasions it doesn't write the temporary files back - which seems to corrupt the wifi/opera database and leads to increasing number of strange crashes. So far I've found the database can be restored to health with the recovery tool option but it is irritating as you lose bookmarks and settings.

I haven't yet tried recording with it.

Archos service is probably the world's worst. As I had a new replacement unit, the 2 installed plug-ins were lost. I phoned tech support and - after waiting nearly 20 minutes - got through to a very polite guy who seemed keen to help. He told me to reinstall the (old) plug-ins on the (new) machine! I explained that I didn't think this would work, since the plug-ins are keyed to the device ID. This seemed to be news to the tech support guy, who could only suggest I email [email protected] with my problem. I have done this (twice) and have had no reply in a week. This must be a common problem - has anyone any tips for sorting this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Those don't seem to be serious hardware or firmware faults, at least not on your current unit. The iPhone safari browser crashes also all the time. I don't know about the N800 for sure, but it probably crashes also. That can happen when browsing javascript intensive sites in smart rendering mode or other heavy sites. Hopefully 5G improves on that.

This is not a feature requests thread, it's a thread to identify if the 704 WiFi is seriously deffective as the user Missionsparta is shouting about in every other thread in this forum.

The rule of thumb is that for every person who complains on forums there are 14 people who are satisfied and do not post in forums. Also, I think it would be good that everyone who votes that there is one or several serious hardware or firmware problems with the 704 that they identify themselves with a little message explaining exactly what the problem or problems are.

And again, if you have problems playing a certain video then it would be very usefull to try and upload a sample of such video so other people and Archos staff visiting this forum can try and reproduce the bugs you are experiencing. And for such things as recording bugs, try and take the time to make a video of that if you can and post it, this would also enable others to try and reproduce it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:31 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
Those don't seem to be serious hardware or firmware faults, at least not on your current unit.

What a nice man you are! Can I come and work for you? I would certainly lose my current job if my software releases crashed half a dozen times an hour! (Half a dozen crashes a year would probably get me in trouble).

Would you like to buy a car that has no serious faults (it sometimes stalls a dozen times in a hundred miles, but it takes only about 30 seconds to get it going again which adds very little to the journey time)? Or would you like a TV in perfect working order (apart from switching itself off every 10 minutes. It normally comes back on)? Or a video recorder that never quite manages to record a complete programme - oh, sorry, that's the 704.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Since you say that you are experiencing serious browser issues, can you say a bit about which specific sites you were browsing when the browser crashed, if you had several tabs opened, what were you exactly doing when it crashed.

When you "Clear temporary system files and cache" that shouldn't delete your bookmarks, is it doing that? It should only delete such things as browser cache, thumbnails and animated thumbnails, browser cookies and browser automated sessions.

And running such embedded browser on a DaVinci platform is a worlds first. iPhone, XboX360, all those have a lot of reported failures, crashes, brickings, clueless outsourced customer support. Nokia only releases one firmware update per year for the N-series (latest N800 firmware update was even called the 2007 edition, thus kindof sounds like Nokia isn't going to bother much releasing new features or fixes before long if ever). I think it's too easy to express so much comtempt towards Archos as some people are in this forum, just because it isn't a major established multinational.

I think every country has consumer protection laws saying you are allowed to return a product within a couple of weeks at the minimum, even opened, if you think that it does not perform as advertised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:52 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

willowpc wrote:
Not sure if it is the 704 or the docking bay, but still have the problem with recordings direct from cable box stopping early. It used to be random times to stopping, but after installing latest firmware it is now totally consistent, stopping exactly 35 mins and a few seconds after start. Size of file before stopping varies from 454 to 459 MB. Manual recording at 1500kb/s with auto set for source and format.

I dumped some TV programmes from my Sky+ box to my 704 over the weekend - total time was 180 minutes, but the 704 stopped after 2hrs 5mins or so.

This was the first time I'd recorded like this, so not sure if it's gonna do it again, but I will try tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

How big was the resulting file?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:12 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
How big was the resulting file?

Can't remember - I will check the next time I do it or it fails.

Is there a size limit then ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

When I started looking at this sight, I thought Missionsparta was some idiot just spouting off at the mouth. I totaly disregarded his advice and bought a 704. Even though I don't know missionsparta, I totally owe you an apology. If I had taken your advice and listened to what you had to say, I wouldn't be in the predicatment that I am in. The only reason I have created an account, is to tell others to listen to mission's and other peoples' simlar complaints. I bought the unit for two things - 1) to place dvd's on it, to watch 2) to record television shows. Well No.1 works fine most of the time -- except when I try to use the H264 plugin I bought. H264 files seem to crash after the first 5 seconds everytime. When I try to record a television show, I get exactly what mission describes. The unit stops recording short about 25% of the time. What good is this thing, if I can't rely on it to record my shows? It's called a Mobile DVR unit, not a Sometimes DVR unit. I agree that there is a mjor production problem with these units, and there should be some type of recall. For what some people sound like they have gone through. They should offer to swap out the 704's wiht 705' s when they are released. I was going to send my 704 back, but I am hearing horror stories about their RMA department. I am afraid I may never get mine back. Can anyone confirm or deny mission's claims about their RMA department. Bootm line though, is that if I had listened to what Missionsparta was saying orginally I would still have $600 and no ulcer. Those new to Archos.... trust what Missionsparta is saying -- this company has major problems with their products. Not only is their problems, they seem to care very little what those of us with problems think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No offense but someone with more posts and who registered longer time ago is more of a trustworthy opinion. Anyone else experiencing crashes on h264 and "25%" failure on DVR?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Wether or not I just registered or have more posts, has nothing to do with what is going on with my unit. I only registered to confirm what this guy has been complaining about. It's funny though that a lot of you admin's jump on guys like me and him for pointing out what is going on. Sorry the company you so patiently defend isn't worth a dime. They are obvisouly shipping faulty units, knowingly, and doing nothing about it. Making matters worse, are people like you that jump on peoples' backs that are pointing this out, and try to justify why there are so many problems with these things. I hope you never make a large purchase someday, and it truns out to be a lemon; I would be the first one in line laughing at you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shapram, with such few few posts and your date of registration, you might as well be Missionsparta, registering other forum accounts to vote more than once in a poll and to spread more FUD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:21 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
Since you say that you are experiencing serious browser issues, can you say a bit about which specific sites you were browsing when the browser crashed, if you had several tabs opened, what were you exactly doing when it crashed.

No - its random. As I said, it looks to me like the sort of memory leak/memory allocation/pointer dereferencing/stack overflow problems. If it was open system we could check this in a jiffy - but of course it isn't.

Quote:
When you "Clear temporary system files and cache" that shouldn't delete your bookmarks, is it doing that? It should only delete such things as browser cache, thumbnails and animated thumbnails, browser cookies and browser automated sessions.

This won't help - I need to clear the WiFi settings, (dunno why), which does zap the favourites. I suspect there is a real problem in the way in which this (hidden) file system works and how/when information is written back.

Quote:
And running such embedded browser on a DaVinci platform is a worlds first. iPhone, XboX360, all those have a lot of reported failures, crashes, brickings, clueless outsourced customer support.

Very misleading - I've had a (very stable) web browser on my Palm Tungsten for literally years. That runs the TI OLAP chip - the predecessor to the DaVinci. And the Archos return rate is probably at least 10 times higher in percentage terms than Palms, not to mention Apple's, Nokias, XBoxes etc. (Even the two enthusiasts who started the "I Like my 704" thread had already had their duff units swapped!)

Quote:
I think it's too easy to express so much comtempt towards Archos as some people are in this forum, just because it isn't a major established multinational.

The only contempt seems to be the attitude of Archos to their customers.
The company has some potentially good products but ruins it with their complete inability to support them. Small companies live and die by the quality of their support - the multinationals didn't get to be multinationals without world-class customer support.

Quote:
I think every country has consumer protection laws saying you are allowed to return a product within a couple of weeks at the minimum, even opened, if you think that it does not perform as advertised.

Tell Archos. They ignore this. Indeed, if you read the Archos licence agreement you will see that it specifically disclaims any fitness for purpose and has no performance warranties at all. As it happens, I did return it, and it took over 5 weeks and the threat of court action to get a replacement with a stuck pixel, continuing firmware problems and the loss of my plug-ins.

You may want to reconsider your relentless and frankly unreasonable support of Archos. If Archos doesn't change, it won't stay in business long. Even if you are sufficiently star-struck to believe that faulty products and abysmal service are a price worth paying to keep your friends in Archos in business, the market (led by the big US retailers) will I'm afraid disagree.

You seem to believe that sites such as this just attract people with problems - and use this argument to totally discount your members views. I think you are wrong. I think a similar poll to this one on an Apple site asking whether people were having problems with their IPhone would give a 95%+ "No" response. Why this difference - even though you are probably right that some IPhone users will also be experiencing problems? I think the answer is that Apple customers know that Apple is a company that prioritises customer service. When there are problems they have a good record of admitting them, immediately addressing them, and through prompt exchange and voucher programmes turn potential disasters into opportunities to build customer loyalty. If I had an IPhone, I'd be able to get instant and informed telephone support, 48-hour product exchange if there was a problem and I would be absolutely confident that new features (not just imaginary bug fixes) would continue to be delivered through firmware updates - as has happened to IPods and Itunes.

Archos prefers to give even their best customers the finger and a very Gallic shrug.
[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:23 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

OK, Im missionsparta. If that makes you feel better, and helps you live with the illusion that Archos is a quality company. Either way it doesn't matter. I know that my unit doesn't work right and after others stories, I am not sure if I should send it back. Sorry your life's goal is to fill everyone with the illusion of how great a product this thing is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

XboX 360 failure rate has been reported to be 30-50%.

iPods have no feature so there is nothing to add and no support needed.

This shouldn-t be a bashing and lying (in the case of Missionsparta posting under different nicknames) thread. Go post in some other thread if you want to compare features and customer support with other companies.

I started this thread so we could identify specific bugs, they need to be reproducable or identifyable if you want Archos to be able to fix it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:41 am 
Thanks for the backing Ram (apperently my alter-ego). Xbox failures are high. At least Microsoft admits it and is trying to do something about it. Mine broke. They sent me a box overnight. I had a new unit within 4 days. Archos is denying there is anything wrong with this crap they are pedaling. You send something to them and it is good as gone. I am pretty sure that I will enver see my 704 at this rate. I don't know what good it would do coming back. I honestly do think that what is going on, is that they said they would run a test extensivly on a new unit, to make sure the recordings don't stop short. I honestly think they are realizing that all the units are doing this and now have nothing to send me. Kodus though... If I could run a company this sh|tty and still sell products for 500-600 dollars I would do it too... God am I jealous.