Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:03 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:03 pm 
There are thousands of us and we need to stand up for what is going on. They are launching 5th generation units months after they shipped us these jolopies. What is going to happen is we are going to be brushed under the rug and stuck with a $600 unit that is crap. We need to keep calling their customer support and flood them with b|tching. If you live in the states, contact the better bussiness bureau. The reason nothing is getting done with our dud units, is because they are to busy worrying about how much money they are going to rake in with these new 5th generation units. At this point I would consider many of our units "lemons" and they should be replaced with new 5th gen units. But that may be a dumb statement in its own -- I can't really seeing those units performing any better than these. Stick together people. This is absouletly wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:05 pm 
Let me add on more short request... anyone with a defective unit.. no matter how small.. please post a small message stating where you are from and what the problem with your 704 "lemon" is. Thank you

Post subject: 704 on RMA vacation
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:38 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

OK - I'll start. My 704 constantly crashed/rebooted while connected on WiFi. I tried all the firmware upgrades and recovery options suggested here to no avail. I contacted support, who immediately said I'd need to RMA it. I guess they've had dozens similar.

It's now been holidaying with them for 3 weeks, apparently untroubled by any attentions from a technician, so Archos have already had it longer than me.

I've a (non WiFi) 604 that I've been pleased with, and have bought loads of overpriced accessories and the plug-ins for both machines, so I know Archos can make a good product and they ought to know (since they have my registrations) that I've been willing to spend a lot of money on them.

The 704 was obviously released prematurely and desperately buggy. There should be a proper exchange programme organised - I'd be quite happy with an prompt exchange for a new 704 that worked. Otherwise, I'll be steering clear of Archos in future.

Post subject: Faulty 704
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:47 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I purchased a 704, installed all the plug-ins, copied music/video/picture files etc to it, then the USB ports stopped working!!

Nothing I could do, would get them to work, even to re-setting the unit back to factory defaults, so I had to return it to the people I bought it from (not Archos direct).

Received a refund and went elsewhere for another 704, and "touch-wood", itÔÇÖs OK at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:36 pm 
well I would just like to give you an umpdate on my situation. After yelling on the phone with these people for days on end about why they are just not shipping me the repaired or new item, I finally got someone to help me. I was told don't worry. I informed them that I was told by the person who set the RMA up for me, that because I have had so many problems and it is coming back a second time, that they would overnight ship me the unit , if I overnighted it to them (which I did). The person on the phone told me oh sorry, we already shipped it and did not realise that (Even though I sent a dtailed letter explaining this and the RMA tech supposebly put it in the report). That was yesterday morning that it was "already shipped". Amazingly enough, I look at the tracking order now and it UPS didn't recieve a pick up notice till 13 hours well after that phone call. Gotta tell ya, this is one of many lies I have been told to by Arhos. To the person with the working 604. I totally agree. I have had to other units (one worked perfect from the get go, and the other need a ton of firmwares to finally get it owrking right). When both those units worked properly, it ran cirlces around and Ipod or any other unit you can name. That is what makes this so maddening. If I thought this copany just had zero clue asto what they were doing, I would drop them like a hot potatoe. But that is not the case. The people designing and actually creating their units are top notch. The problem lies in too areas. First, their tech support and customer support is abismal. They act as ifthey don't care, and there is zero urgency for a consumer that has drop anywhere from $250-$900 on a unit and all of its add-ons. The second, is their quality control. Way to many units leave their warehouse with way to many defects. I also am really beginning to doubt that there is any real beta testing going on over there. If there is a beta group, I would love to be involved in it, because for some ungod-known reason, if there is a defect or glitch, I am going to be the one to get it/find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:49 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I had 5 subpixels defected, sended to archos (after 3 or 4 weeks of messages), I've used the unit for a lot of time, during use I've noted some problems regarding the display and the software!
When charging the unit,for example, if I browse files for long time it begin to scroll without touching, and if I quit from browser it still browse the same folder,this over the main menu icons, even in the system menu... I cannot explain better! If I can I will post the video in the future (I've recorded the problems with my digital camera).
Sometimes the display just flash or becomes white, to reset it I must push the LCD/TV button twice to reset the LCD.
Experienced also some crashes and restarts!

Sended to archos, after more than a month the a704 returned and now I've only problems with recording some times with DVR (apparently a firmware problem) and 3 shut down, 1 freezed screen followed by a 10 secondo power button push to turn it off, all in the first day of use.
Never experienced other problems!
The actual problem is with login in the file browser that requires a password to be setted in winxp.

The actions taken by the technician was to change LCD and circuit board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please try to be precise with what your exact problems are if those are real hardware/software problems.

If you have a bug, explain as briefly as possible what the bug is, how to reproduce it, then we see if other 704 WiFi owners can confirm the specific problems.

So please try to be very short and precise about your problems, 4-5 words to describe each problem, and wait for others to confirm that problem, if there are general, precise and easilly reproducable software bugs, then Archos can much quicker fix them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:57 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Problems with my 704 Wifi:

1.) DVR from Dishnet recorded program results in audio sync 1-3 seconds late.

2.) Music player off of Hard Drive Skips to next during middle of song or sometimes kicks back to main menu screen. Also album thumbnail sticks

3.) DVR record length is not as requested. If I set it for any amount of minutes it will record at various lengths, but not what was requested.

4.) It sucks my wallet dry and still has the above problems.

S.R. USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:00 am 
Slash... it sounds like we have many of the exact same problems. I am beginning to think these aren't random issues, but a problem the units have with certain configurations. To bad for you and me though, by the time we finally get a working unit, it will be obscelete (705).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:17 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Obsolete or not, the most important think is that archos must solve the problems! I will never buy the 705, 704 is young, my next player will be the 706 or 707 if they will have a lot of new features/improvements than 704!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:14 pm 
Davie... I may be forced to buy a 705, if it is the only way I am going to get a working unit. I don't really have any confidence in Archos actually returning me a fully working unit. Sadly, I fully expect the unit coming back to be full of glitches. I will stomache it, if it at least records my shows at the length I ask it to. With out it being able to do that, it is absolutely useless to me. It would be like buying a car that shuts it self down after 10 miles and working 20 miles from home -- what's the point?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:08 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Ihad also problems with the unit, sended to archos and returned in good coditions, the recording problem is present also in my unit, but I don't think to buy a new archos if my old one have not solved problems! For what I know the GEN 5 can soffer of the same problems!
In those cases the only solution is to not buy a new unit from who don't support and fix the users problems!
However... have you tried old firmwares? In another topic some people solved the problem with firmware downgrade. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:30 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

My problems

The Unit whilst recording tv dvd will just freeze you can hear the programme in the back ground but the screen will just have froze

DVDS that I have recorded seem to play up have recently watched 4 films and 3 have played up, the best way to explain it is, its as if i am watching a very scuffed dvd that the dvd player will not play correctly Frame freezing skipping ect.

I know for a fact that I will never ever buy another Archos unit if they do not come up with firmware updates to rectify the problem as I do not expect to pay out over £300 to be s--t on by a company.

I have the latest update now installed and if the problems still arise then QVC will have to give me my money back as I complained to them last month about the unit keep freezing up but as I stated to them I was hoping a firmware update would rectify, the lady stated that I could have a full refund if the unit still played BUT under no circumstance send the unit back to Archos to try and fix as this would make my gurantee with QVC void, so i'll give it another month and then if not rectified will seek a full refund under the sales and goods act UK due to the fact that the unit is not fit for purpose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:02 am 
Bainsy.... forget about the fact that your warranty with QVC would be voided; the bigger issue is that I can guarantee (almost 95% certain) you, is that Archos would not be able to fix your unit. I am starting to really think there is some major issues going on with these units, that Archos is trying to bush under the rug. If a ton of use continue to have issues with the unit not recording to its full length, then we should look into a class action lawsuit or something. If they are not going to fix this issue with the 704, then they should be swapping them for 705's. When I told their customer support about this, the lady laughed and said I had 7 days to return an unwanted item. I told her they need to rewrite their policy to "you have to return an unwanted item after your recieve a FULLY working item". I find it funny they are trying to tell me that I have had the item for 3 months now so I am out of luck, when that three months consists of : the first month was spent with them holding my item to supposebly fix it; the next 10 weeks was me holding the item, because they would not let me send it back for a refund or repair, because the next firmware was going to fix it; and now the final 2 1/2 weeks they are holding the unit to fix what the first repair and their firmware did not fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:23 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Mission Im not sure how the law stands in the US but the lady from QVC stated that I could get refund if unit was defective, I will try recording a film again at the weekend and if it plays up i'll send the unit back to qvc for a full refund due to the unit not being fit for the purpose that it was sold.

So far most films play up, one film lost the sound completly half way through and I would say that 1 tv programme out of 10 will just freeze halfway through recording, my Archos AV420 has never ever given me any problems so I cannot see how this unit has been giving me problems.

I have stated on here before that the unit worked fine which it did but now after watching a few films that I recorded a couple of months back it looks like im wrong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would suggest to continue like slash74 did, put numbers for the bugs you are experiencing and confirm which firmware you have installed. And let's have other 704 WiFi users confirm or deny they also have the same problem. Else it is not possible to have an understanding of what the exact bugs or complaints are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:33 pm 
Hahaha. My new unit came back and is already doing the same stuff. I called customer support and told them that they need to allow all the 704 units to be traded in for 705's. She asked me why in the world they would do that? I told her that besides the fact that it is completly unethical to release a product like the 705 so short after the 704 release, but more based on the fact that the 704's are riddled with problems that make the units almost useless as far as a DVR goes. I then told her I couldn't tell her who told me, but that I knew they know there is a major problem with the 704's. There was dead silence for about 5 seconds, before she said that Archos was looking into all possibilites as of right now. I then said if they know there is a major flaw, defect, glitch, or whatever they want to call it, and they aren't going to do anything about it, that that would almost warrant a class action lawsuit. Again I got another long moment of phone silence and was told she would have to talk to someone and get back to me. This is getting good :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:32 pm 
I agree with Charbox. so here it goes....

1) Unit records at what ever length it wants to. I ask for an hour, I might get 33 minutes. I ask for 30 minutes, I may get 22 minutes. This occurs when using videocorder.

2) When using scheduler to record videos, it will divide the videos into how ever many small files it wants. I understand it is suppose to do this at 2 gig with the FAT32 drives they are using, but sometimes it will divide in hour show into as many as 5 small files (as little as 50 meg each). Even more annoying is that when it does it this way, there is a 10-30 seconds of lost video between each file. Even stranger is I have recorded a 3 hours sporting even before, that went to 3.5 gigs, without ever breaking the file up. I thought this was impossible with a FAT32 drive? Something is just plain wrong.

3) Unit has problem playing H264 files (have tried CloneDVDmobile, handbrake, and Imtoo). These same files play just fine on my friends 604. What happens its it will play for about 5-10 seconds, then go to the Archos boot screen and then restart the unit. Good thing I paid for this plug-in

4) Smaller glitch that isn't as annoying, but still is a glitch, is that when watchinga VOB file, the time line gets all messed up. I can be half way into a 2 hour movie and the time line will say I have only watched 10 minutes. When this starts to occur, it is almost impossible to fast forward or rewind. It gets all glitchy, and if I try to use the forward or rewind to much it will crash the unit.

5) Quit often when sitting in the DVR docking station, the unit resets itself. I will pull it out of the unit, and it will load up to a the calibration screen, as if I reset the unit. I then have to recalibrate the touch screen and then go and reset the clock and calander.

6) The volume is almost worthless. You can't even start to hear anything till you are alomst at 65-70% volume power. the 0-65% range on the volume bar gives dead air.

7) The battery icon is worthless. It works with the first 3 bars, but then never shows you the second bar. When it does go to the last bar it is showing you it so late, that you have maybe 2 minutes of play before it shuts down. So essentially it lets you know when you have half a battery left, and then tells you nothing until the 2 minute warning.

All of these have been present with all of the firmwares I have installed. Currently using 1.7.20 and still seeing each of these with the new unit I recieved. So for the record. After 2 firmware upgrades, 1 unit being returned for repair, and a now a brand new unit; I am still experienceing all. I honestly believe that these things are prevelent in about 65-75% of the units.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:21 pm 
Well it is now July 6th, and the unit is still sitting with their damn RMA departement. When I called to get an update, the lady told me it was beign repaired at that moment. I said, "Repaired???? The supervisor over there assured me that since the item is now back a 3rd time that he promised me to just send me a new on as soon as they recieve mine". She said hang on while she checked. She then came back and told me that I was correct and that they were working on sending me a new one. "Working on"????? It's been 9 days since they recieved my defective one (again) -- you think there would be some F'n urgency to get a working unit back to the guy that has had to send his unit back three F'n times!!! I also have bad news for these jack a$$'s over there -- it doesn't take 9 F'n days to put a unit in a box and drop it in a mailbox. These idiots were trying to repair the thing for a 3rd time and didn't bother to read the RMA notes. I still don't understand why, 36 hours after that was brought ot their attention, is this damn thing not shipped yet. I have always been a huge Archos supporter, but this is flat out F'n disgusting at this point. Can someone please tell me a funny joke or story to ease my pain :)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:37 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Missionsparta wrote:
Can someone please tell me a funny joke or story to ease my pain :)?

Yesterday, a guy drove his car into the river not far from where I live. He got out and climbed up on the roof - the car was in the water, surrounded on all sides, only the roof was out. By chance, an ambulance drove by and saw him. They went down to help him. But they couldn't do anything.

NONE OF THEM COULD SWIM. The guy, the ambulance driver, nurse... all of them. Ok, so they go up to the road and wait for a car to drive by... get this - they waited for half an hour before a truck came by, and the driver pulled the guy out using a rope. None of the people they managed to stop could swim. :badgrin: