Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:19 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've noticed the battery life on my 705 seems to have taken a nose-dive, although on occasion it does surprise me - one day, recently, in the car, it seemed to run (for the kids) for a couple of hours (playing video, volume on full). There was definitely a full charge before that.

A few days earlier, though, with full charge, and it only lasted somewhere in the region of 5-15 minutes before shutting itself down.

In general, without mains, even when charged fully before going out, most times the battery life is shockingly short, now (as I said, though, apart from the really occasional anomaly mentioned above).

So I've decided to get a new battery, I've ordered one of these:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Battery-rechargeable-manufacturer-warranty/dp/B002NE8WD8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266969199&sr=8-4

has anybody bought anything similar, and is it a fairly simple replacement, or is there any soldering involved - I'm wondering if the picture on Amazon's web page is accurate showing it with case backing on, or whether that's just an example, but you have to attach it to the existing cover on the stock battery (Amazon's web page doesn't say anything about it, and I know from experience with older Archos models - AV440 - that a replacement battery could involve dusting off the old solering iron).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:30 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

very much doubt it.
looks exactly like the regular battery, i'm positive you'll just have to clip it into place :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well the battery arrived, and it has metal casing very similar (albeit not identical) to the metal casing on the original battery.

Slight issue, though, they sent me a 5100mAh one, not the 10200mAh one from the Amazon page.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:50 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The 5100 mAH battery is the standard, and is much cheaper than the double life one. The double life battery is also thicker, not usually a problem although a little surgery is needed if you use a dvr dock. BTW the batteries for the 704 wifi and 705 are the same.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Denis wrote:
The 5100 mAH battery is the standard, and is much cheaper than the double life one. The double life battery is also thicker, not usually a problem although a little surgery is needed if you use a dvr dock. BTW the batteries for the 704 wifi and 705 are the same.

The battery they sent will be returned - as it's not the spec that I ordered. So I should get a 10200 one at some point.

That was partly the point of me getting another battery, I wanted the longer running one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:41 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Remember it'll be a bit thicker. Only problem will be slight surgery to your dock, if you have one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Denis wrote:
Remember it'll be a bit thicker. Only problem will be slight surgery to your dock, if you have one.

Fortunately - or unfortunately (depending on your perspective) - I don't have a dock.

I bought my 705 on sale from Argos (in the UK), and at that point, the docks were either not available (from Argos) or quite expensive elsewhere, so I've not yet ponied up the cash for one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:26 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I bought the thicker 10200 mAh battery and can not get it to click solidly into place. It is not a secure fit and keeps unclipping from my Archos 705. Has anybody else had this issue?Is the battery just too thick as it is definitely thicker than the original battery and it seems to bubble out a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

louie wrote:
I bought the thicker 10200 mAh battery and can not get it to click solidly into place. It is not a secure fit and keeps unclipping from my Archos 705. Has anybody else had this issue?Is the battery just too thick as it is definitely thicker than the original battery and it seems to bubble out a bit.

I've found it's definitely a lot thicker, but I've not had any problems at all with it unclipping.

Must say I've been impressed with it's performance.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:19 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Maybe I just got a bad battery. I actually sent it back for a replacement. When I can get the thing to stay attached I love the long battery life, but it is always a precarious fit as it never completely seats like my 5100mAh does. Who did you order your battery from? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

louie wrote:
Maybe I just got a bad battery. I actually sent it back for a replacement. When I can get the thing to stay attached I love the long battery life, but it is always a precarious fit as it never completely seats like my 5100mAh does. Who did you order your battery from? Thanks.

This is the one I bought.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:37 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Well I have now tried two different of the 10200 mah batteries from an ebay seller out of Honk Kong and neither one stayed connected. The batttery is labeled exactly the same as your link from Amazon.uk except the model number is different and it doesn't state for Archos 705wifi, but the model number is exactly the same. Don't know if it is the battery or my 705i that is causing the issue. The original battery seats perfectly. It seems like the batteries I received we're bubbled out and just too thick to stay connected. I am desperate for one of the long life batteries so will try ordering from Amazon.uk and see if I have any better luck...