Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:37 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ok this is not for the faint hearted but I have managed to unlock all plugins on the 705 WiFi with firmware 2.1.0.4

After trawling through these forums for literally hours I started to try different procedures and started to make progress.

I had recently done the GFT3 hack on a 605 WiFi and that runs great, all plugins active and working. I then bought a 705 WiFi after my son pinched that and was gutted when the cracks didnt work.

so I set about cracking the 705 WiFi

I will warn people though that for one I am not responsible for any damage done to your archos in any way, shape or form and before I started on this I hadn't even heard of Linux let alone dediced to use it.

So if anyone out there can come up with a better procedure, a safer one or a more efficient one then please use what info you can from my thread.

Credits time firstly though without these guys' posts, threads and answers I wouldnt have stood a chance

divx118 - sideways - grond - achillies

For some reason I cannot get the restartavos.sh script to automatically edit the avos file. I have found the offsets for the hacks on the 705 avos.

I compared the 605 MC avos with the 605 Vanilla avos and then extracted the avos from my machine by removeing the hdd and hooking it up to a linux machine.
Once I had the image I mounted it and removed the rootfs.cramfs.secure and mounted that so I could extract the avos file.

I then searched for the binary strings that the hacks use and found the same strings in my 705 avos.

The offsets are listed as follows

Quote:
# apply binary edits to avos to unlock plugins ( thanks archilles :) )

echo -ne '\xe3' | dd of="$HACKDIR"/usr/bin/avos conv=notrunc bs=1 seek=$((0x2437a7))
echo -ne '\0\0\xa0\xe3\x1e\xff\x2f\xe1' | dd of="$HACKDIR"/usr/bin/avos conv=notrunc bs=1 seek=$((0x90bec0))
echo -ne '\x01\x30\xa0\xe3' | dd of="$HACKDIR"/usr/bin/avos conv=notrunc bs=1 seek=$((0x90d044))
echo -ne '\xe3' | dd of="$HACKDIR"/usr/bin/avos conv=notrunc bs=1 seek=$((0x90d46b))
echo -ne '\0\0\0\0\0\0' | dd of="$HACKDIR"/usr/bin/avos conv=notrunc bs=1 seek=$((0x9f2344))

These are slightly different to the 605 ones. When I copied this over the ones in the restartavos.sh script I could not get hack.sh to run it kept crashing and no plugins were unlocked.

I then decided to try the edits on the actual avos file. I edited the Vanilla avos I extracted at the points listed above with the values listed. I then copied the avos file to my archos

When I ran the fileserver it didnt crash this time everything worked and I had the plugins enabled.

What I am looking for now is some way to replace the avos file on my machine with the avos I edited so the plugins would be permenantly available or some way to use restartavos.sh to do the edits.

Can anyone help with tidying this up or making it permanent ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:12 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Sorry this is a VERY late reply.

1. What you did is SUPERB :-)
2. It should have worked from the script.

I wonder if you edited the restartavos.sh file in a windows editor and made it incompatible with linux? (windoze adds CR/LF to the end of each line, but linus just has a LF character)

The restartavos.sh script checks for a version number of avos before it applies the edits, make sure you have 2.1.04 currently installed.