Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: 705 Not Charging
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:32 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My 705 was pretty much dead on batteries so I was trying to plug it in. The Power button would light up but nothing happened. I pulled the battery and tried again and the Power light would come back on but, again, nothing would happen. Even plugged in, the CHG button wasn't lighting up. I tried the reset button and now it seems to be completely dead. None of the buttons is lighting up. I tried putting in in the docking station, too, hoping it could charge using the connection ports, but still nothing. It is only 2 months old so it would be covered under warranty but I was trying to see if I could troubleshoot it and not have to send it in. Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: 705 Not Charging
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:00 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

mine did that a few times when i first got it. I have no rational explanation why it stopped charging and none for my why it started charging again. try praying? Seriously though, I thought my archos was dead and after relentless plugging and unplugging of the chord it started to charge, stay charged and boot again.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi, all. just searching looking for a solution. my 705 will not charge no matter what i do. (will turn on, but battery very low) If i plug mains charger in nothing at all happens (nothing wrong with charger, tested) if I plug my link cable from my pc 705 springs into life but will not charge the battery. I'm a little reluctent to buy a new battery as I don't believe that is at fault (worked last week) any suggestions or other information gratefully received :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:58 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The 705 doesn't charge via USB unlike the 605. So the only thing you are trying is the mains charger, which could be at fault. Can you test it, eg put a 6v bulb on the output?. It's not uncommon for these power units to fail, so this MIGHT be your case.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:33 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thx denis, I have tested the charger and it works fine... (same size as my phone) did speak to a friend..... he said he had a similar problem and just replaced the battery..... he did think u can run it from ac with out battery which is of concern.... he was going to confirm this..... i've asked him to take my unit put his battery in to see if it charge.... will give the results as and when i get them.... thinking about it now.... feeling a little doughtful that it is the battery.... it will boot up but just will not charge :doubt: logic says circuit complete on battery........ but fingers crossed it is just the battery..... anyone know where the best place to buy ? kind regards Paul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:45 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I used this firm

http://search.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin/n ... 4530212910

for my last battery, with no problems.

The batery on the 705 incorporates charging electronics. btw have you tried cleaning the contacts between the battery and case?

I'm almost sure they wont run just on external power without a battery fitted.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:59 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

That "mega capacity" webstore doesn't have batteries for the 705. Denis confirmed the 704s batteries are compatible with the 705

A good webstore for replacement Archos part is newmp3technology.com. (At least for the US)

Here is the normal capacity battery, and here is the double capacity battery

Last edited by LuciferTengu on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:06 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

LuciferTengu wrote:
That "mega capacity" webstore doesn't have batteries for the 705. A good webstore for replacement Archos part is newmp3technology.com. (At least for the US)

Here is the normal capacity battery, and here is the double capacity battery

It lists 704 batteries, which are identical to 705, and which I have used in my 705.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:17 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Sorry about the misunderstanding :oops: ,I didn't know the batteries were compatible. Thanks for the clarification. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:34 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

LuciferTengu wrote:
Sorry about the misunderstanding :oops: ,I didn't know the batteries were compatible. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Sorry about how I sounded, I didn't mean to imply anything. I didn't know at first until someone told me, that's what forums are all about.

Have a nice day !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:14 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My 705 was not charging either. I couldn't get it to stay on to charge no matter what I did. I finally changed the ac adaptor that came with the system to charge the unit. When I plugged it into the DVR station the green light only blinked weakly with the bad adaptor. With a different adaptor the unit charged on the DVR station without problem. Just something else to try. :x

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:57 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have a similar problem. One day my Archos 705, which was working perfectly on a new double life battery, wouldn't stay running. It will boot and sit at the main window and as soon as I try to go into videos or pictures it clicks and dies. Then it stays blank and the green light goes off after a short time. I thought it was a battery failure so I waited (because they are $50) and finally ordered a new one. As soon as I plugged in the battery the unit sprang to life and I could go into any area. I left it to charge and came back later. As soon as I tried anything it clicked and shut down. So I guess the charger is not working because with the new battery it seemed fine until it ran down instead of charged. The unit powers up right away when plugged in and always the same click/die thing. I have reset it several times but really I am stuck. It is so damn handy and I don't want to toss it but soon I will just plop it in the garbage unless I can figure something out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I i've had a 704wifi and had only used it for approx 4hrs. It has died....... I cannot charge it or start it up and there seems little contact help in the UK. Does anyone know of any???????How the heck do you get it fixed when it wont start???

It wasn't a cheap machine and its VERY frustrating.....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

UK help lines.....Try this number first 02079490115 customer service If not then this one 09062132467 but its 25p a minute..good luck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Many thanks for that - I had already spoken to 0115 but they said I needed to contact Cust services online - but to do that I had to register the product number which I couldnt do because I couldn't starti it!!!! They were particularly unhelpful saying it was an old model that they couldnt hepl with!!!! great customer service..... not. Seems they don't really want happy customers....or any customer come to that

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

my old 705 wifi battery expanded/ballooned to the point where it wouldn't make contact with the device.

i got a double life replacement battery from 'newmp3technology' store through amazon. anyway, it worked great for 30 days. then suddenly it would only get one bar and it would not charge. i thought maybe the battery has gone bad but that didn't make much sense since the battery was brand new/worked reliably.

i had an old radio shack 'digital camera power supply' ac power adapter with multiple head replacement and adjustable 3-6.5v power switch laying around. so i thought i might give that a go before buying another battery/power adapter. at first i got a buzzing sound when i plugged it in with the radio shack power adapter. i soon realized i had the head replacement contact plugged in wrong. :oops:

it seems to be doing the job. the 705 wifi hasn't shut down for over 5 minutes now. it used to shut down in less than a minute with the original power adapter.

so be sure to check your power adapter folks as your battery might be working fine! :!:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:27 am 
Archos User
Archos User

One thing to remember: You can not leave this unit plugged in all the time. There is no overcharge shut off feature and the battteries will overcharge and go bad very quickly if always left plugged in. Also, unit will not work of any charger (AC or DC) without the battery being attached to the unit.

Louie