Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:37 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:15 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi All - I have an Archos 705 wifi. It had been working fine for over a year, no problems. Everything seems to work well still, except now sound only comes out of one earphone. I've tried a few different headphones and it's definitely the Archos, not the headphones. Anyone have any tips in terms of firmware updates? Or advice on how to open the unit and see how it can be fixed? I keep hearing about the horrid Archos customer service, so I'm not going to beat my head against that wall. If sending it to Archos is the only option, I'll just live with it as is. I don't care about voiding the warranty since I'll never use their customer service.

Thanks!

RobLiv

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:38 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Without using the headphones, does the sound come out of both the inbuilt speakers ?

If so, could be the headphone jack. try wiggling the headphone plug.

Otherwise could be the sound setting, balance, set to output one channel only.

Menu, Settings, Sound.....check the Balance, slider should be halfway for a balanced Left & Right output.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:52 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi Denis - Thanks much for the reply. The sound does indeed come out of both Archos speakers and the balance is set in the middle for both left and right. The problem only occurs when I use headphones (which is most of the time). I'm guessing the problem is the wiring in the headset. I tried wiggling the headset plug as vigorously as I was comfortable, but didn't make a difference. Bad idea to open the unit and see if a wire came loose or something? Any other ideas?

Thanks much, Rob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:24 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

"Any other ideas?"

Pray! i'm Serious...i have had the external sound completely stop on my 605. I was certain the speakers were shot and mysteriously...they started working again a week later. Another time, I dropped my 605 and it stopped working. I was pretty stressed out over losing my precious baby....a few days later..works perfectly fine. I once had a Palm Zire 72 go through the wash and dryer in my pants pocket. After it dried out..the Blessed thing still worked and to this day you would never know it went through all that trauma. Either I am damn lucky w/ electronics or fervent praying is the resuscitation they need.
Thankfully my 705 has not had any issues. If it does...ill be sure to do what they did back in the day to old tv's...give the sucker a whack and pray.
Do I get credit for the most un technical answer ever?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:50 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Sounds (sorry for the pun) as though you've tried everything. Next step is how confident are you in opening the unit. It may be a wire off the back of the jack plug, or a bad soldered joint if it mounts directly to a circuit board, or a faulty socket itself which may need replacing, in which case is a spare available or is it an Archos part; or returning to Archos for repair

Is it under guarantee ??, see my post about 2 year EU guarantees.

Personally, if not guaranteed, I would open the unit.

Re the other poster, Mr Bangitandsee, I'm of that school too, but its not that useful with todays technology.

Best of luck.

There is another poster who describes how to open the 705, probably stuff on Youtube too.

Just another thought, the sound does go from the speakers when you insert the headphones doesn't it, cause there is a setting that outputs the sound only to the speakers

Settings..Sound..Built in Speaker.. make sure this is set to Automatic then sound will switch from speakers to headphones when they are plugged in..

Apologies if you already know all about this.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi. My archos 5 is ok. When I plug a headset its play sounds in both speakers. But when I plug archos headset it play sound from left speaker! I test it on my computer and its like archos. I think problem is in wire... but how can fix or find part of wire that have problem? Thanx and sorry for bad english... arab....