Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:16 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:37 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

More than a bit miffed at Archos. We are just outside of warranty, most recently having now sent in our 705 in for the 4th time. We bought it in March '08. Since that time, the screen has gone out on us 4 TIMES!!! We bought it for our 2 year old son to play videos while we feed him. It either sits on a countertop or is in the headrest in the backseat of the car (where else could we use it since the battery lasts all of 2 minutes if it's not plugged in). Regardless, whenever it's not in use, it's kept in it's case and out of harms way (and out of reach of our son at all times). It's well cared for to say the least, because we know how fragile it is.

After the 3rd repair, we were sent a refurb. Unfortunately Archos doesn't offer warranty extensions, which is no mystery why they don't, given the quality. They offered us a 90-day warranty on the refurb which we are trying to use for the 4th repair. Instead, they want to hit us up for $192 for the repair. They are pinning this 4th one on damage, which is not the case. The other 3 times the screen went out, there were vertical lines on the screen and the screen would go white. This time, more than half the screen went white, but the bottom right corner was still able to display a picture. The outside of the screen is still in tact.

So to recap, our options from Archos are shell out $192 to fix this hunk of junk, get a 15% discount on a new unit, or have it sent back to us. Or OUR options are: never buy another Archos product, buy a netbook for far less than the $380 plus $150 in accessories & add-on's that we bought for the unit plus $80 we've spent in shipping multiple RMA's back to Archos. Is there anywhere anyone is aware of where you can buy parts online? I'd just as soon try to fix it myself instead of letting Archos have another dime from me. Just sucks that we have so much $$$ sunk into a product that I fully expect would fail again and again.