Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:06 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:05 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Can anybody help please. Recently bought 705 wifi 80gb and on the second sync to WMP all the files on wmp are corrupt. The c drive is fine but in wmp tracks have been filed under different albums, they are totally mixed up. Has anyone had the same problem? I was about to try the time consuming task of manually rearranging everything (delete and regenerate does not work) but I'm afraid it will happen everytime I sync. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:21 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

What exactly is going on? Are the files unplayable? First I would try an arc library update manually that should sort it out.

When you sync with wmp in wmp mode the files from your pc are transferred to the archos and put in the music folder under separate folders for each artist. As they are on the pc. If the mp3 tags are not correct this can lead to them being difficult to find, if they work ok on the pc they should work on the archos. Each album will have a separate folder within the artist folder and the individual tracks will be in there forming a hierarchy of folders. WMP also puts the album art in a separate folder on the archos called albums - leave this alone or you may well corrupt the arc library.

Resetting the arc library will usually sort out any problems. It sometimes happens when the arc library updates automatically after being disconnected from wmp.

Some users on here prefer the hard drive mode but syncing with wmp seems to work OK for me, but the software on the archos can be a bit buggy and temperamental, just be patient with in and try the above.

If your files are corrupt and still wont play make sure they are not drm protected, if they are make sure your player is showing the correct time and date or again they wont play. Hope this helps.

Post subject: WMP11
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I wasn't very clear. My Archos is perfect. The files are not corrupted at all. But it was when I synced the Archos to my computer that it corrupted all my wmp files, it has completely mixed up all the albums, track and artist info on wmp. I have tried windows groups but I also wanted to know if it has happened to any other Archos users, and if I fix the problem (somehow!?!) is it likely to happen now every time I sync? I use wmp11 with Vista. To be honest I'm now scared to sync again as I don't want to corrupt the data on the Archos and I haven't completed the library yet. I would be really grateful for any ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:45 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Have I got this right? Your files are on the archos and you are wanting to put them back onto your pc, and when you do they get corrupted.

Have you changed your pc recently and are trying to sync with a different pc? WMp wont allow that as it needs to create a relationship with the portable device in order to sync it. Has it corrupted only the files that it transferred from the archos or existing files in your wmp library?

If its just the archos files you must be using a different pc and transferring music that is drm protected to another pc which the drm coding wont allow - you can only sync to the same machine - portable player and only so many times depending on the drm licence.

You could try just copying files from the archos to the pc - a straight copy then trying to play the files on the pc, if they still dont play then it definitely a drm problem. One thing you cant do with wmp is copy from one pc to a portable device then try and copy them back to a different pc. You can only do that when the files are non drm. WMP no longer allows you to backup your licences to play files so you will have to redownload them to your new pc or burn them to a cd using the original licence holding pc and then re rip them to the new pc.

If the files play on the pc but are just in the wrong position it could be that the mp3 tags are wrong use Mp3 tag tools to reset them

http://massid3lib.sourceforge.net/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:47 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Alternatively, don't use WMP/synching !!

Just drag and drop files with 705 in HARD DRIVE mode.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:59 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you so much for the replies. I am using the same pc, I have only ever used the 705 on the same pc. And I was just trying to put music onto the 705 from the pc, not the other way round. But at the moment the computer started syncing with the Archos all the icons on the pc started multiplying. Now all the info in WMP is wrong.
I'll give you a for instance; my first file is Abba gold (19 tracks in total) and its the only Abba album I have. Under the artists file it is showing 4 AbbaGold album art icons (so its basically assuming I have 4 abba albums in wmp, although on the c drive it only shows 1). Out of those 19 tracks 2 are actual Abba songs from that album, the details of the rest of the tracks are from variuos other albums in my collection. However if I play those tracks they are all Abba songs, it is just the written information that is incorrect.
My main worry is that this is going to affect the library on the Archos at some point. It doesn't seem to have affected any of the files this time, all the tracks are under the correct album titles, but it has erased nearly all of my personal ratings info on the 705.
I am certainly never going to use wmp/synching ever again, drag and drop is definately the way to go.
I have found one Archos user on a windows usergroup who had the same problem but no reply as yet. I was desperately hoping someone here would have had a similar experience and advise a solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:18 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Delete everything from your WMP library and then re-scan your PC.

Make sure you don't select the "Delete from computer" option !!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:44 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Scan done, no change and nothing detected. My computer manufacture have tried a few things and ended up suggesting a system recovery. Looks like the last option. I only hope that sorts it out, and fingers crossed it doesn't affect the Archos. This has happened at least twice that I know of - hope it doesn't happen to any other users.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:17 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

PAGT wrote:
Scan done, no change and nothing detected. My computer manufacture have tried a few things and ended up suggesting a system recovery. Looks like the last option. I only hope that sorts it out, and fingers crossed it doesn't affect the Archos. This has happened at least twice that I know of - hope it doesn't happen to any other users.

Nothing Detected ??

Don't like the sound of that.

Have you checked the folders to see if the files are still on your PC ??

Have you double-checked the locations that WMP is checking against ??

Perhaps the folders you have your music in isn't in WMP as a valid folder.

Other than that :-k ](*,) :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:35 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

If music files are in two places on the pc (ie a copy of album 1 in my music and another copy in my documents) then wmp finds both of them and displays them twice. I would check in windows explorer that all you files are correctly in place and that there are no other copies anywhere else. Also check the sync settings for wmp and the archos and make sure you set it to manual sync NOT auto or the wmp will copy all your files back from the archos to the pc. I suspect this is whats been happening and why your files have got corrupted. Do let us know how you get on, your problems bugging me too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The exact same thing has also happened to me. I have tried deleting the wmp library and rescanning the library from the c drive but it is still wrong (even though the track listing in the c drive is correct)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:46 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I know I'm stating the obvious, but for those who have just entered the thread and maybe have skipped to the end, here is my diagnosis:

It appears as though the ID3 tags on the MP3 files on the PC have been altered.

If the files on your Archos do not have this problem, then you might be able to copy the files off of your Archos player back to the PC and it will likely solve the issue.

*MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR MUSIC COLLECTION BEFORE YOU DO THIS*
If you don't backup and this doesn't work, you might be SOL and have to re-download...err...re-rip/purchase your songs from IsoHunt...i mean CDs/iTunes. It might also leave you where you are now, but it's not certain.

To do this, on your Archos, open Settings and click system. change the USB mode from media device to hard drive, exit back to the main screen, and plug your Archos in. Now it will show up as a hard drive and you can find your music files and copy them back to your hard drive. Make sure you say "yes to all" if it asks about overwriting.

If this doesn't work, go to the website below and find a program that you understand that will allow you to re-work your ID3 tags and such. WMP has this option built-in but it can be slow if you don't know your way around it. right click on a song and hit properties, or select a large number of songs (IE: an album) and hit properties. Be careful with this, as you can change the title of every track on the album to the same song, and it might be a pain to undo.
http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.htm ... eSize=&ca=

EDIT: One of the programs at that URL might be able to convert the filename (listed in windows explorer) into the title from the ID3 tag. I've used a similar program before, but it's been a long time and I'm having trouble finding it. I will post a reply if I find something useful.

Post subject: WMP 11 corrupt files
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you overk1ll I think you may have just saved me an awful lot of time and trouble. I backed up the library and then deleted all my music from my pc. I then set the Archos to hard drive mode, connected it to my pc and copied some files and it seems to have done the trick. It has even copied over my personal settings which I thought were wiped as they are not on the Archos?!? Needless to say I will be nervous next time I copy anything to the Archos. Hope this works for any other users with the same problem. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Very late entry, here, but........I just wanted to say thanks to you all for having your conversation here. I was having fits trying to figure out why my 705 wifi kept saying that my music files were all corrupt.......based on your discussion, I figured out that I had to rename all the music files (long story, but I first ripped nearly 300 CD's onto my PC using a program that allowed me to choose the format for naming the files, and I tried to go with last name of the artist, then album, and that was obviously not a good thing to do, either for WMP, or for the Archos, because they got all twisted out of order in both file systems, and that is likely what corrupted the files on the Archos.) on my PC.

Ultimately, after trying to get the file names acceptable to WMP, I then deleted all music files from the Archos, while it was connected via USB. Then, I made sure to let it scan the HDD for the purpose of updating the ARCLibrary. Then, I set the WMP music files (those ripped CD's) to sync with the Archos. After that finished, I then had the Archos update yet again.

Now, my music files play the way they are supposed to and I can either shuffle all music, within genres, or by album, artist, whatever......

So, thanks again.