Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:52 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Buy one yet?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:44 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Did anyone buy one yet? I did for my shop, not a bad little player. Great for listening to music all day and not putting the wear and tear on my 604 or 605. Any feedback from anyone?

Post subject: Re: Buy one yet?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:30 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

mersh5 wrote:
Did anyone buy one yet? I did for my shop, not a bad little player. Great for listening to music all day and not putting the wear and tear on my 604 or 605. Any feedback from anyone?

Nope, not yet.

I'd really like to see the screen first in a store..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I bought one for my neice. Small screen (obviously) but the interface is pretty much the same as on the 405 & 605 (actually it's got a lot more colour customisation options than my 605). Videos need to be encoded to WMV9 at a resolution of 160 x 128 but they look ok on the screen. I think Windows Media Player 10 or 11 will correctly recode these automatically, but I've yet to try it. As with all the current crop of players the sound is pretty good but would benefit from a decent pair of phones. All of the players sounded great using my Sennheiser CX300 canal-type phones, which I can thoroughly recommend for listening in a noisy environment like a plane.

Here's a tip for batch converting a folder of photos so that they fit and look ok on the 105. I used IrfanView's batch converter.

First open IrfanView and press "B" (or choose the batch conversion option from the file menu).

Then set your output folder to wherever you want to save your files - I'd recommend using the same one all of the time and then simply move all of the files to the 105 after conversion, leaving the folder empty for the next batch, as IrfanView will remember the folder you've specified.

Decide whether you want to keep the same file names or not - you can define some sort of naming pattern to use (e.g. Xmas2007###) to avoid duplicating file names which may already be on your 105.

Set the output file type as jpeg and click on the options button to make sure you've got it set to best quality.

Click on "Set Advanced Options" and then use the settings exactly as shown below

Image.

All in all I think the 105 is a great little player at a great price - I might end up buying one for myself yet, and they make great stocking fillers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Paul wrote:
I bought one for my neice. Small screen (obviously) but the interface is pretty much the same as on the 405 & 605 (actually it's got a lot more colour customisation options than my 605). Videos need to be encoded to WMV9 at a resolution of 160 x 128 but they look ok on the screen. I think Windows Media Player 10 or 11 will correctly recode these automatically, but

I tried recording my picture/music video into some personal player format option WMV9..

I played it on my PC, and it looked/sounded like crap becuase it had gutted so much out, or else one of my players couldn't play it. (I don't remember which of the 3 I tried with).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

bas wrote:
I played it on my PC, and it looked/sounded like crap becuase it had gutted so much out, or else one of my players couldn't play it. (I don't remember which of the 3 I tried with).

It would look crap on a PC, so do the photos. But for watching on the 105 they look ok. Let's face it - it's not something you'd use for serious video or photo viewing, maybe a few of your favourite music vids to watch on the bus plus a few photos of your loved ones. Mostly it's a music player.