Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:48 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:50 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi

When I attach my (pretty new) archos 105 to my computer with the USB cable, I no longer get an option to charge or activate the USB connection - it just shows the 'Archos - Entertainment your way' logo and the battery doesn't charge. None of the buttons seem to do anything.

When it's unplugged the battery appears to be flat.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:28 am 

from experiance with the players it sounds like the battery is too exhausted to run. The players run solely off battery power, the charging circuit only charges the battery so when it too low it wont boot or will loop. Leave the player on charge and walk away, im not sure how the 105 works but i assume that the player automatically boots when being charged, you should come back with it running ok after that. Your best bet is NOT to completly discharge the player too often, the cells like partial charges and not charges from empty, this will eventually kill your cells.
good luck
roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:20 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

roylovelock wrote:
Leave the player on charge and walk away, im not sure how the 105 works but i assume that the player automatically boots when being charged,
roy

Yes, you're correct. Whenever you plug the USB cable in, it asks if you want to charge ony or not. I always answer no as I'm normally transferring files/videos to it.

The battery seems to last quite a while on these little units - 18 hours is quoted in the literature.

One problem I find with it, is that it is so small, it's very easy to lose :roll:

Still having problems converting videos to WMV9 and 160 x 128 resolution :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for your replies.

I've tried just plugging it in and leaving it for about 15-20 mins and it doesn't appear to have helped. I don't think it's charging at all and it's not recognised by the computer (i.e. no USB connection is acknowledged).

Something else I've noticed is that when the player is disconnected and I press and hold the 'menu/on' button, the screen again shows the 'Archos - Entertainment your way' logo. When I release that button, the screen goes blank again after 1-2 seconds.

Any other ideas?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:47 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Is the USB on your PC working OK ??

Does anything else worked when plugged into the USB ??

Suggest you plug your 105 into another USB socket - it should auto-switch on when you plug it in, mine does.

If not, I suggest you send it back to where you bought it from for a refund or exchange.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

USB is fine with other stuff.

Think I may have to take it back...

thanks anyway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,

the thread is a year old but since i've got exactly the same problem I'm asking here anyhow.

Does anybody found a solution to this problem?

The symptoms in my case are the same:

1) If I push the menue button there is the startscreen "Archos Entertainment your way" but it vanishes as soon as I release the button.
2) If connected to usb the startscreen stays on and button presses seems to have no effect

Here is what I have done so far:

1) tried to push the x button for 15 seconds (should reset it)
2) changed the usb cable

However ... it is not recognized by windows or linux ... I am a linux user so I dived into it and saw that the computer didn't even recognized that there should be a usb device attached (lsusb) ... I can "talk" to broken memory sticks and the like but wasn't able to "talk" to this device so upgrading the firmware is not possible.

It would be nice if someone can give feedback even if it's a "forget it and dump it" feedback,

Thanks, Ganymed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have just had the same problem. Sound like a not uncommon fault. Should anyone have sorted this out please let me know! I too am not too keen on junking a Christmas present so soon.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have the exact same problem as described in this post and have not found the solution yet. I tried the 15 second off thing. I tried multiple USB cables on different power sources. Tried contacting Archos, they won't talk to me my warranty is expired. I am wondering if the battery is at an age were it will not accept a charge? If someone has a solution, please post. Also if someone has had this happen but somehow their Archos came back life and they don't know why, post also.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

+1 Exact same problem with this piece of junk. it won't boot anymore...
What a waste of money :( Shame on you Archos !