Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:04 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: TV+ and DVR Dock?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am considering getting a 605 and was originally planning on getting a DVR Dock to go with it. But, having looked at the specs of the TV+ I am also tempted to get that as well.

The big question is is there any point or advantage to having both the DVR Dock and the TV+? Or will the TV+ do everything the Dock will and more?

It's not just about playback of files and the PVR stuff though. Will TV+ have a browser for YouTube, web, etc.? Will you need to buy all the plugins twice (once for 605, once for TV+)?

If the launch date really is October then not getting a Dock and waiting a month for getting video on the TV is not such a long wait.

Off topic: I also wonder if the component input/output can be configured to RGB or if it is only for Y/Pb/Pr?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can use the TV+ as the DVR Station, it outputs and records video the same, but your Archos simply connects on the usb to the TV+ and all files of your Archos are then accessible on the TV+ as an external harddrive, but I also think there will be some more ArchosLink-like features for example the recordings, vod and podcast contents could be automatically synched over USB2 upon connection without having to click anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I had a feeling that the TV+ would pretty much duplicate the functionality of the 605. I guess it's worth waiting to see what it's actually like when it comes out before making the decision.

What would be nice if it was possible to dock the 605 with the TV+ as a 605, rather than just an external HD. One of the benefits of this could be that the TV+ could charge the 605 at a much faster rate, using a proprietary dock connector, than over standard USB.

What would be really sweet (off into la la land now) would be for an upright docking station to be built into the top of the TV+

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yup I think a good solution would be to provide a cheap 10-20 dollar plastic dock connector which basically lets you put the portable Archos quickly in a dock that looks like the DVR Station but is smaller, and only functions as a Mini Dock for example, so you would have the charger for it also as well as USB device and usb host, maybe even usb-hub for more than one host connector which functions as usb host for the TV+ or for the portable Archos using a switch.