Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:45 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Compatiblity with SKY
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:14 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I am struggling to see the point of these TV+ thingys' (Apple, Archos or whoever) if they can't interact with my SKY subscription.

I don't receive TV from anywhere other than the satellite and access all of it via my SKY HD & SKY+ box.

I guess there are many like me (if not SKY then Cable) - so - whats the point of TV+ ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

if you're only using SKY (and not a DVB-T source like Freeview), and if you already have a Sky+ and/or HD box, then the TV+ will not offer any additional features to your current set up.

Sky encrypts most of it's content and it can only be de-crypted by a Sky receiver, this means you can only record programs from one of the SKy outputs, at the moment this has to be an analogue source which will degrade the quality of picture you get, so I wouldn't bother.

This will be the same for any similar device (e.g. Apple TV)

Regards

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:53 pm 
I really like the look of this but would only get it if i could record of sky but my main box is downstairs and i have the link to a tv upstairs but am i not correct in saying that this machine will record whats on the screen like what a hdd dvd recorder does.........Fritz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:56 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Apple TV cannot record anything; it only downloads movies and TV shows from iTunes or shows Youtube stuff.

The Archos TV Plus, I'm pretty sure, will work like a Tivo, that is, it will come with an infrared device that you put on your SKY receiver/decryption box so the Archos can tell the SKY box to change channels at the appropriate time, and then record a show from the same feed that goes in to your television.

The archos is also supposed to allow internet surfing and (like the Apple TV) download programs from the internet as well.

PoBear wrote:
if you're only using SKY (and not a DVB-T source like Freeview), and if you already have a Sky+ and/or HD box, then the TV+ will not offer any additional features to your current set up.

Sky encrypts most of it's content and it can only be de-crypted by a Sky receiver, this means you can only record programs from one of the SKy outputs, at the moment this has to be an analogue source which will degrade the quality of picture you get, so I wouldn't bother.

This will be the same for any similar device (e.g. Apple TV)

Regards

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:40 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Perhaps it'll be demonstarted at the WHAT HI-FI Sound and Vision show.

The show is on in London between 2nd and 4th November 2007.