Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:53 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:27 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I use Archoslink to download the TV Guide for my 160gig 605. Haven't used it for a while and when I tried downloading it a couple of months ago, I got an error message. Have been getting that ever since. Anyone been able to download the TV guide with Archoslink recently? Archos isn't very useful as a PVR if there is no TV Guide. Really hope someone answers this post and lets me know. I haven't been able to find anything about the TV Guide on the Archos website. It sure isn't very user friendly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:03 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Jennifer. Why do you tell me that? That's not an answer to my question. I don't care if you can watch TV online. I can watch TV on my computer if I want. I have a Windows Media Computer, which means I have a TV tuner in my computer and can watch anything on it like I do on my TV. Do we speak English? Why do people always answer a question with something that has nothing to do with the question asked. DUH!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:05 am 
Archos User
Archos User

This forum is totally useless. The times I have asked questions on here; I never get any response.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:49 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hey Samysam,

why so unfriendly and aggressive?? Jennifer tried to help. She gave an answer, which did not satisfy you. Maybe you had the wrong question...?

By the way, you can┬┤t judge a forum like this one as "useless". A forum lives from the input of its users, so instead of bitching around, it would be better to give some competent answers.

Rgds
arrow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:26 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi Arrow. I don't think my response was inappropriate considering my question and the response I got. I'm not usually rude, but it does get really old when I go to forums to ask a question and I get responses like this that have absolutely nothing to do with my question. Have you noticed that the response from Jennifer looks like an advertisement for some web site? Things like this are often posted on forums and I get really annoyed by this crap. I asked a legitimate question and not one person answered. Instead I get someone advertising something. You say maybe I asked the wrong question. What does that mean? I asked a legitimate question. What do you think is wrong with it? Isn't that what this forum is for? To find answers to problems they have with something Archos related. Jennifers' response certainly isn't Archos related. Jennifer tried to help? How did she try to help by posting an ad? Why I gave her the response I did. BTW: You took the trouble to post under this thread. Why didn't you answer the question? I asked a simple question. I just want to know if the problem is on my end or if others have this problem as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,

did not expect to get an answer in that short time. Looks like there is still some life in this forum...
I┬┤m an Archos newbie and still have lots of questions on my own. Otherwise I would not have found and entered this forum. Just look at my thread "Disappointing performance".
I wish I could help with your problem, but I still do not really know, what is Archoslink and what is the difference between the 605 and the TV+, which is my Archos.

I also do not know this Jennifer. Maybe "she" is Spam, but who cares? Why do you stress your nerves with such stuff? I know, it is boring to post a question in a forum and get no satisfying answer, but if you look to other posts here, it is almost the same. Many users are deeply frustrated and answer to their own thread, how disappointed they are to get no answer...

May answer to your post was only because of its bad undertone, which should not be present in a user forum, where people try to help and get helped in an objective and friendly manner.

Regards

arrow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:53 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi arrow. I didn't really expect a reply, but since you did, let me elaborate. See my response below yours.

[quote][/quote]I also do not know this Jennifer. Maybe "she" is Spam, but who cares? Why do you stress your nerves with such stuff? I know, it is boring to post a question in a forum and get no satisfying answer, but if you look to other posts here, it is almost the same. Many users are deeply frustrated and answer to their own thread, how disappointed they are to get no answer...I also do not know this Jennifer. Maybe "she" is Spam, but who cares? Why do you stress your nerves with such stuff?

I don't know how long you've been using the internet or how much experience you have with forums, but I have been around cyberspace for a long time and I do get somewhat annoyed with all the garbage and advertising that is everywhere. Especially when the majority is false advertising or scams. That's mainly what it is. They say there is no truth in advertising and that is more true today than ever before. I don't like liers and cheaters and that's what it basically all is. So you ask why I get stressed and say who cares. That's part of the problem arrow. People today don't care and that is why it is so rampant. Whatever happened to truth in advertising or giving people real value for their dollar? That is why I get annoyed.

[quote]I know, it is boring to post a question in a forum and get no satisfying answer, but if you look to other posts here, it is almost the same. Many users are deeply frustrated and answer to their own thread, how disappointed they are to get no answer...

You just answered your own question as to why I get stressed. I've been to many forums over the years and in the majority of cases, you get responses like Jennifers' that have nothing to do with the question being asked or you get no response at all. Often times, you get advertising for any number of things.

As for my negative undertone. Spend some time in this forum or try to find answers to problems from Archos and see if you don't end up that way yourself. It gets very frustrating and aggravating. The Archos web site is there only to sell their products and they do not even bother to answer your emails. Customer Support is non existent. Browse this forum and see if you don't find others like me who have had it up to here with companies who rush products to the market to make a fast dime and never offer any kind of support to their customers.

See my next post about the Archos 605.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:36 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Samysam,

I agree to nearly all of your arguments, but by the way, I did not make too much bad experiences with forums like you. The forums I have registered to (usually German ones) are really useful and the people there enjoy helping others. The only annoying things there are users, that are impatient or trying to rule and rant others, because of their, by their means, idiot questions or answers. Your answer to this "Jennifer" reminded me about such dominant and harsh users, but I guess, you are just frustrated due to the poor performance of this forum.
I understand that, even if I am here for only 1 day now.

I cannot complain about the Archos (again the German one) support. I got answers and a solution for my questions within 1 day.
Unfortunately this doesn┬┤t make the product better and every time I tried to use the TV+, it ended with frustration. Most of the time the system crashed or was so slow, that no reaction could be seen on the display.
I guess, that the only solution would be a firmware update with bugfixes for all the problems of this device. But this will not happen, as it seems to be not longer supported by the Archos engineers. They seem to focus on tablet PC┬┤s and small players now.

That┬┤s really a pity.

Rgds
arrow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:40 am 
Archos User
Archos User

[quote][/quote]I wish I could help with your problem, but I still do not really know, what is Archoslink and what is the difference between the 605 and the TV+, which is my Archos.

If Archos had some kind of customer support, forums such as this one would not be necessary. That's how a lot of companies operate today. Instead of Customer support, they start forums such as this one and let the people who use theirs products help each other. Except, that most of the time the people who do need help are the only ones who come here. Those who are more knowledgeable and who don't need help don't bother to come here and that is why there are no responses to questions or any real help.

As for your TV+, I went to the Archos web site to see if I could find any answers for you. It isn't even listed as one of their products anymore. The only place I even saw it listed was in the section to update firmware. From what I remember about it, it is not a portable media player like my 605. I'm not sure, but from I gathered about the TV+, it is more like a PVR (personal video recorder). The 605, is an older model that is a portable media player (plays video and music). It's also a PVR, if you have the base station that connects your Archos to your TV. It is wifi and is internet capable if you spend extra to buy the web browser. Basically, it is a small computer. I haven't had any problems with my 605 yet and really like it. It has great functionality and the best video resolution of any media player on the market for its size. Personally, I have not bought the web browser as I do not have wireless internet. But I have used it as a PVR a few times. That is why the TV Program Guide is so important. Now if you have wifi available, you are supposed to be able to download the TV Guide directly to your Archos. However, since I do not have wifi, I have never downloaded the TV Guide this way. That is where Archoslink comes in. Archoslink is a program that you install on your computer that allows you to download Podcasts or the TV Guide and transfers them directly to your Archos. I haven't been able to find anything about the TV Guide or Archoslink on the Archos web site. The web site is not user friendly. It is very hard to find any information related to older Archos products. Considering that most Archos Media Players are PVR's there should be information related to the TV Guide and Archoslink. I can't find any information about this anywhere on their web site. So If you wonder why I am frustrated, there is your answer. I hope this helps arrow. If I can answer any of your questions, I would be glad to help. Take care and have a nice day.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:29 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

arrow. I did see a firmware update for the TV+ while I was looking at the web site. However, I do not know if you already have this update or not. If not, I suggest you download it. I'm sorry you are having so many problems with your TV+. That is a good example of what I was talking about in my previous post about companies rushing new products onto the market to make money. They do not even bother to make sure the product works as it should before they put it out. Then instead of fixing the problems their product has, they just stop making it and put out something new. I've had my 605 for about a year and a half; and now that I went to look at their web site again, I see nothing that looks familiar. In that short period of time, they have totally changed their product line. I would not be surprised if the TV Guide or Archoslink isn't even available any more. This is not the first company I have bought from that have done this. A few years ago, I bought a PVR that was a dream machine. It is a Phillips PVR and it has a TV Guide built right in and you can even burn what you record to DVD. The problem is, that the machine has a lot of bugs or glitches in it. It would be the best PVR on the market, if it worked as it should. But like Archos, they rushed it to market without fully testing it and a few months after I bought it, it was obsolete. And since it is obsolete, there is no firmware update for it. I am still using the machine, but it does get annoying when you spend a lot of money on a product and it doesn't always work properly. Often, the TV Guide will disappear and it takes a long time for it to load again. Often it changes channels all by itself and often it locks up and you have to shut it off and turn it back on again. Not good when you set it to record a show and come home to find that it didn't record because it had locked up. Now there are a lot of PVR's on the market, but none of them have a TV Guide built in except for the ones you get from the cable or satellite companies. And those are really hard to search through because they have 500 plus channels listed. And when you go to look at a lot of these channels, you get a message to contact your cable company to subscribe to that channel. They should make them so that you can put only the channels you get into the TV Guide, so that you don't have to look through so many. I don't know what it is like in Germany, but here we can't even get a TV Guide from our newpaper like we used to only a few years ago. Funny, but before we even had machines to record with, there were weekly TV Guides free every week with the local newspaper and now that we really do need TV Guides so we know what and when to record, there is no TV Guides anymore. Seems a bit backwards don't you think?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi Samysam,

thanks for the big amount of information. That┬┤s what I like such forums for.

You are right, the TV+ is a PVR, but also has Wifi and a built-in Opera Web browser, so you (theoretically) can open any webpage you want and display on your TV. In practise this doesn┬┤t really work.
When I try to update the firmware online, the device tells me, that there is no newer version available. So it should be the latest firmware.

I was not aware about Archoslink. It is not mentioned on the webpage or in the manual. Is there any cost for this program or service? Does it work?

I┬┤m currently not able to do any recording with the TV+. It recognises no TV channels and if I change to VCR/DVD source, it crashes. That┬┤s frustrating for me.

I think I should google for the Archoslink solution.

Thanks again!

arrow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:29 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi again arrow. I don't know how the TV+ works since I don't have one, but I am assuming since it isn't listed on the web site, that it is no longer available. That would make it obsolete and so they wouldn't put a firmware update out for it. I checked the firmware update for my 605 and it's the newest version. I'm not expecting any new updates on that. The update I saw is already 2 or 3 years old. It's sad when you buy a product and it doesn't even work. I'm sure that TV+ wasn't cheap either. Companies today don't seem to feel any kind of responsibility towards their customers. I would suggest that you keep calling Archos Support till you get some kind of satisfaction. They should either fix it or replace it or give you your money back.The Opera Web Browser is the same one my 605 is supposed to use. I have no experience with it, but from what I had read in my research, it is a very basic web browser. I have read complaints about it. As for the Archoslink, I have no Idea if that program is even meant to be used with the TV+. I do know it is for the Media players like my 605. The first year was free for the TV Guide updates, but after that there was a yearly fee. Something like $20 a year. I did use it for a few months, but haven't been able to get any downloads for it in the last few months. I did call Support once and got a message that there was a problem with the TV Guide and that it should be up and running soon. Well, it still doesn't work. Every time I try to download the TV Guide update, I get an error message. So maybe it's not available anymore. I will have to call support to find out. What galls me, is that you buy a product and it is supposed to work with certain programs and then you can't even find any information whatsoever about it on their web site. Seems to me if they include these things with a product, it should at least have some info about it on their web site. At the very least, they should tell us if something is not available anymore. It is very frustrating. Ans so people come to this forum to get some help or information and there is no one to help or even answer any questions. Even more frustrating. So you now have some idea why I am aggravated. I would think you would be aggravated yourself with the experience you have with your TV+. At least my 605 works. I feel for you arrow.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:14 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just disappointed, that the product is not, what I had expected - a solution to have (limited) internet access on the TV screen, to watch web content like videos, podcasts and things like that and a parallel recording solution for web movies to my Panasonic DVD harddisk recorder.

I guess, you can buy my TV+ on Ebay next week, if I find the time to insert it there over the weekend. No more trouble and anger with it. No more Archos product in the future.

CU
arrow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:41 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Can't say I blame you arrow. Good luck. I wish you all the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks and the same for you!

arrow