Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:58 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: must wmp11 be used?
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I want to replace my tivo2 because I am cancelling my subscription since I DO NOT need to record tv shows. I've read some posts saying that you can no longer schedule tv recording because the scheduler no longer is available? Well it's not really an issue for me.

What I want to do is watch, on my tv, movies that are on my pc.

I have a wired ethernet network through a router NOT wireless. I just want to know if I can hook the device up to my pc via the network cable and either stream or transfer my videos (mpg, avi, divx, mp4) to the device and then watch them or do I have to install wmp11, add them to the library or whatever first. I'm assuming wmp11 with then transcode them and transport them? Don't want to fuss with wmp11 just want to get the movies from the pc to the archos. I'd settle for a simple copy from pc to archos via network, but I'd love to watch the movie as it transfers (probably not right).

Also, supposing this is possible what formats can I play on the device? avi, mp4, wmv, mpg (1,2) etc. I like archos devices (have a 504 and av420) so I'm happy to stick with them even for a discontinued model. I mean 250G unit in box with remote for $90 isn't too bad. The remote & network connection are the key points, otherwise I'd stick with copying files to my 504 and hooking that up to the tv.

Sorry if I don't make sense but I've been reading and searching for a simple device to do this for cheap and I'm tired lol.

TIA
Danneauxs

Post subject: Re: must wmp11 be used?
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:44 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The easiest way to watch movies from your PC to the TV+ is wireless.
or you can plug your TV+ into your PC and copy your movies across using a USB printer cable,
this can be quite time consuming.
You will find an RJ45 Ethernet connector on the back of the TV+ patch it through your router and Bobs your Auntie...
PS
I got my TV+ for £25 or $36 USD couldn't resit it at that price, you couldn't find a 250Gb stand alone hard drive for that kind of money....
Regards

Floppyjoe

Post subject: Re: must wmp11 be used?
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yes but wireless requires wireless equipment and my house is set up wired. If I was gonna spend the $ for a wireless network for that money I can buy a wireless video transmitter and have done with it.

What I'm really trying to find out is if you can browse a folder on your pc from the archos and transfer a file to the archos then watch it without have to deal with wmp11 which I do not like at all.

Well thanks for the reply!!
Danneauxs