Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:39 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:22 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have an Archos TV+ networked to a Dell 4300 XP home edition and the Archos is unable to detect any of the shared media on my desktop. I've followed the user manual instructions - the archos is listed as an 'allowed' device on WMP. I'm not sure it detects the computer at all - when I search for computers on the network, I get nothing. The archos is connected to the network, however, because I can connect to the internet via WiFi and the Linksys software detects both the archos and my home computer.

Equipment:
Dell 4300, XP Home SP2
Windows Media Player 11, newest release no updates available
Linksys WRT150N Wireless Router
Archos 80gb firmware 1.7.13 (most recent)

I have an older desktop that's been upgraded and tweaked over the years. At this point I'm not sure if the problem is related to WMP, the router, OS or the archos.

Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Have you called Archos tech support?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yes. I was told to update my firmware, which I've done and it hasn't resolved the problem.

It may be a network or other issue - which is why I posted to the forum, hoping somebody else may have run into the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:18 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Make sure the workgroup name is correct. And also that the shares are fully shared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:30 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

If you are using a software firewall i.e. mcaffe, zonealarm..adjust settings ..I did not use wm 11...just connected to shared folders via wifi and lan and had problems until i adjusted firewall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:23 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Shares are fully shared. I'm going to take a look at my firewall settings. How do I verify that the workgroup name is correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:37 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

nawalsh,

When you go to the file browser, select network what do you see? Do you see "MS Home" "Workgroup" or both? Then if you select for example MS Home, then do you see "Home" if you can see that then select it, then you should be able to see files you are sharing on your PC (However on mine I can only see the Windows "Shared Folder" and the folder I have named as "My Tunes" which I have manually shared). I cannot see what is in my WMP 11 library this way.

If I go to the "Video" icon from the home screen, then select uPnP I can then see "Home PC" which is the name of my desktop PC select it, then select "All Video" I can then see the compatible files within WMP 11 on my unit.

Hope this helps

SDM197

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

When I go to the file browser, network option I get nothing. I don't see my home computer at all. When I select the uPnP in Music or Video, it comes up completely empty.

I've verified that I'm connect to the correct home network and I can access the internet. I can also 'see' the Archos from my router's software as an active device. WMP also detected the Archos as a portable media device and I've 'shared' my music to it.

Finally, I've set up all of my media folders to share, both withing WMP and manually sharing them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:29 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

nawalsh,

Try going to Menu/Settings/System/Repair and Formatting Tools/Clear Temporary system files and cache

You will then have to enter your network key again (If Wireless) and see if that solves the problem. I had that problem too at first.

I also disabled my firewall completely, or at least I thought I had, I was running Norton Internet Security. The TV+ still would not work, so I uninstalled Norton (Extreme I know :shock: ) then it worked. So after I installed a different firewall and it is perfect now. I should add that even when it was not working I could (as you say) see it within the media sahring box on WMP11.

Give both a go try the cache remedy first,

SDM197