Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:51 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:39 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Why can't the tv+ hard drive be open to the home network? If you're going to let us record DRM free videos, and allow transfers manually, why not just go all the way? Let the thing be a NAS.

I was ready to buy the 250G model, but as a 604 wifi owner, I have no reason to purchase.

The only advantage to a 604wifi is playback from a network share without copying the file.

Very disappointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:17 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Probably worried about it getting hacked which would mean less/no money from the plugins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well it is a NAS isn't it. Although no FTP or HTTP server functions as far as I know. For sure it does Samba NAS and perhaps also Upnp NAS functions.

You'd probably just go in the options and activate the Server functionality, just as with any other Archos in the 5th and 4th generations.

I think it would be awesome if they added some type of HTTP server function so one could remotely access to the video recordings from the whole world. As long as your upload speed is at least 2mbit/s this would stream most DVD quality Mpeg4 recordings out in realtime.

An HTTP based control panel would be very cool, to remotely setup DVR recordings over the Internet.

So imagine these functionalities from any WiFi hotspot in the whole world with your 605 WiFi, to be able to setup DVR recordings for your TV+ at home, watch any of your recordings as well as any other files on your TV+ or your home network through other NAS or USB storage connected to the TV+, and perhaps even connect live to the TV+ to stream your home TV channels as a kind of a Slingbox live video streamer.

I expect all these features could be added to the TV+ in firmware upgrades to make it cooler and to make it integrate better with Slingbox type and competing DVR functionalities. Consider also that Echostar Dish Network who owns 20% of Archos also owns Slingbox. So they might encourage Archos to add Sling functionalities in their products through firmware updates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:52 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

It's only a NAS if you turn on the file server manually, then go to your computer to tansfer, then go back and shut off the file server. Not very robust.

I didn't see anything in the manual regarding UPnP or DLNA client capabilities.

I think the TV+ will be a success anyway, due to the recording ability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I guess you can leave the file server function on all the time if you want. There isn't really any risks since it's only open within your local network.

Those external HTTP server features I would like to see like hosting of the files on the Internet and an interface to setup more DVR recordings, perhaps download podcasts and such, those external server features should be protected by a password.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:24 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I think if the file server is running, any scheduled recordings are stopped, and no applications can be launched. If it can run in the background that would be wonderful and I would buy one right now. Can anyone comment on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK yeah, it would make most sence for the server feature to be able to run all the time in the background. Though it might not be very stable for the hard drive and for other parts of the hardware if it is accessed at the same time during the recording and by the filesharing networking function. Is that what you would like to do, transfer files while it is recording? Perhaps it could block file transfers but still make sure it is always automatically hosted on the local network as long as it is not in use for something hardware intensive.

I don't know how the file server feature works on the TV+, I haven't tested it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:53 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Making the TV+ accessible one way or another to a home network would mostly be useful only if the dvr-recorded files are not DRM'd (that is, copy protected). I seem to be getting different answers on various parts of this forum as to whether or not they are.

So: are all the files that get recorded from cable TV using the TV+ copy-protected, and thus not playable on a PC? Only some of them? Or is it all open?

Anybody have a definitive answer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If the video input is protected by a macrovision signal, Archos is obligated to copy-protect the recording.

As far as I know normal TV broadcasts through most TV tuners don't bring macrovision signal in them, none actually do or something like that.

While many commercial DVDs broadcast that macrovision signal which all legal commercial DVD players also broadcast. So if you record a commercial DVD it will be copy-protected. But you can perhaps de-macrovision your DVD player in some cases loading a different firmware on them or you can simply rip the VOB files through your computer and play the VOB files of any DVD using the Cinema plugin.