Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:49 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:15 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I was wondering if you anyone has the tv+ and what they think about it. its pretty tough to find any true reviews on the product online. everything seems to be based on the archos press releases about the tv+

anyone? I'd love to be able to bounce some questions off of you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:24 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi,

There are some very good reviews on the net try Archosfans.com the first page (Home page) then scroll down a little look at CES 2008, lots of reviews! seek and you shall find! :p

SDM197

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:50 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hey sdm,
Thanks for the info. I checked out the reviews and they seem to say the same thing the archos press release does.

I'm wondering if the "dvr" function of the archos functions just like tivo; in that can it play live tv or can it only play pre-recorded tv.

*because the tivo has a 30 minute of buffer type recoding so you can always pause and play live tv...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi,

The TV+ has no tuner, so it will show live TV if you are feeding it a live TV source from a satellite/cable or in the UK Freeview box. It also has loop through so when it is switched off the signal you are sending it will go straight through so you can use it as normal ( a bit like the old RF in and RF out scenario)

SDM197

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:26 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

awesome!! You answered my question perfectly! Cause i wasnt going to get it if it didnt let me watch tv on it (live tv)... so it is exactly like a standalone tivo box... ir blaster changes channels of your cable box/sat box and lets you choose through the tivo interface!

but does it have that automatic 30 minute record buffer like a tivo? (you can pause whatever your watching and continue watching it without having to actually set record).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So how do would you get a TV signal (UK Freeview) into the TV+? Do you need a Freeview box with Component out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:00 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

JoshWalking wrote:
So how do would you get a TV signal (UK Freeview) into the TV+? Do you need a Freeview box with Component out?

In an ideal world yes, but this is not an ideal World last time I looked :D

You would connect the outputs Video and Audio L+R from the Freeview box these maybe Scart/Composite Phono, to the TV+

the TV+ will accept Composite and Component i.e. RGB Red/Green/Blue

If the Freeview box only has Scart just get a scart to composite lead this will do the trick, but explain that you want the scart to be sending the signal to the phonos/composites and not the other way round,

SDM197

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

sdm197 wrote:
JoshWalking wrote:

In an ideal world yes, but this is not an ideal World last time I looked :D

You would connect the outputs Video and Audio L+R from the Freeview box these maybe Scart/Composite Phono, to the TV+

the TV+ will accept Composite and Component i.e. RGB Red/Green/Blue

If the Freeview box only has Scart just get a scart to composite lead this will do the trick, but explain that you want the scart to be sending the signal to the phonos/composites and not the other way round,

SDM197

Right I get it now :D

Thanks for all your posts, very informative. Dont suppose you know of a freeview box that will definitely work?

Post subject: I have one!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:07 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi,

I just got mine on Friday! I ordered it in the middle of November though... grumble.

It is awesome! The funny thing is the WiFi is better than my son's 605.

It doesn't support the Games Packs available for Gen 5 devices, but then when you have a Wii and a PS3, who needs Sudoku, and Texas Holdem?

The TV recording works great, except that the channel guide I downloaded for it automatically is showing the incorrect channels. Or rather it shows the channels and the shows, but when I select one for recording it records some other channel (one up or one down). Not sure why yet. I think the guide on the TV+ is incorrect. I am just using TvTv free updates which come with registration.

There must be ways to sort out your own guides from somewhere, but I haven't had the time to look into that yet.

I also have yet to try the HDMI output.

The TV+ comes with 2 component to scart cables and a power cable, and of course a remote control. But that's it. The input componenet cable goes to a scart on my Cable decoder, and the output goes to a scart socket on the TV.

So, as long as you have a scart output on your TV source, then you will be set. Else, you'll need a component to whatever cable bought extra.

Hope this helps.