Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 1:13 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Size Matters?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Is there anyone out there that wishes the 405 could have been made slightly smaller?
I thought one of the major considerations on size was the 1.8" hard drive? If they are producing the 405 with memory card reader only surely they could have made it 1/2 inch less tall?

Have a 404 now and won't be upgrading and giving up 30GB for something the same size and 2GB memory.

Just a little moan, size of 404 & 405 is reasonable, just think Archos have rushed design of 05 series, if you ask me they look identicall in design to 04 series, just slightly different colour and buttons.

Post subject: i donno
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:40 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

the 405 confuses me, i can't see who it is targeted at, the 404 was just the cheaper more portable version of the 604, the 405 isn't much like the 605 wifi... it is much cheaper but...

the front is dominated by a large screen; for what? its only got 2GB. 2GB is enough for 2-3 movies. it does have an SD slot, but carrying around a few SD cards to hold your music/movies is expensive and annoying. I think the 404 line made much more sense. 2GB is (im guessing) half the size of the average person's music collection. an 8 GB SDHC card would cost another $80-100. then you would have 10 gigs of music/movies. and its not a very good $/GB ratio.

i could see where there going but relasing a 2GB video player isn't a smart move imo. im guessing that the 406 will have 16/32/64 GB options.

Post subject: Re: i donno
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:36 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ilikepandas wrote:
i could see where there going but relasing a 2GB video player isn't a smart move imo. im guessing that the 406 will have 16/32/64 GB options.

I remember when i got my first video player:first gen iriver U10:512 MB! :D Now that was annoying :lol: I agree that today a video player with only 2GB doesn't make much sense,it should at least have a 4GB option like the cowon d2.

Post subject: My two cents...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sorry, bit late to the show but I'm trying desperately to lose my novice tag.

I have the 605/30gb but I just bought a 405 (for a really good reason and not to show off) and I actually quite like it. I do find myself prodding the screen like an idiot though!

I don't want to get off topic too much but I got an e-mail from my brother yesterday asking me if I knew of a "gadget" he could buy his son for Christmas, which prompted me to run through all the pros & cons of the various models I've used. Ok, SDHC cards are currently on the expensive side but they'll get cheaper, and with higher capacities. Hopefully my battery won't die before then.

My recommendation to him was to buy the 605 flash version and a DVR station, basically because times are a little bit tough for him right now and the flash version is about 2/3 the price of the 30gb one. I was tempted to suggest the 405 but his son is into movie making and I just love using the touchscreen keyboard to effortlessly re-name recorded clips, plus he can expand it with the Opera plugin if he wants to.

Having compared the 405 to the 605 quite closely now I don't think there's really a lot to choose between them but, having recently made my first plane ride with my 605 AND THEN experienced the 405 I actually think the 405 is better for travelling with. I think the player is about the right size.

I think the 605 is a bit too cumbersome, especially with the leather case you really need to buy if you're going to be transporting it much. In retrospect I think I'd prefer to carry the 405 and a couple of SDHC cards when I go anywhere.

Also, probably not that many people are so familiar with WiFi setups and I'd guess that this is a feature which would be wasted on them.

In short I think the 405 would probably benefit from having a few more gigs of on-board memory, plus a touch screen for no other reason than the on-screen keyboard for renaming files. Now I've got used to the buttons down the side I tend to use these a lot more for simple things like navigation and volume control. However, completely new users wouldn't miss the touchscreen and, if they're not too bothered about wi-fi, then the 405 is definitely going to be a hit, in my opinion. It would be nice to be able to hard wire both the 405 & 605 to a network, to take advantage of the content portal and the TV Guide but it looks to me as if you can just go to the portal sites on a computer to download stuff and, in my case, there is no TV Guide available for where I live, nor is there likely to be in the foreseeable future, so the 405 is likely to prove a hit with people like cash-laden ex-pats who travel a lot to places outside of the civilised world.