Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:45 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Newbie questions
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I recently got an archos 405 cheap and have tried to read up as much as I can but I'm a bit confused. I pretty much plan on using as a simple video player for the kids so I'm not likely to buy all the extras. I figure after adding in the cost of the extras I would be better off buying a newer android tablet. Does that seem about right for what these are good for right now?

Some other questions that I think I know the answer to but would like conformation in case I change my mind about plugins etc.

The cinema plugin and the podcast plugin are the only two plugins available. It is unlikely I would be able unlock these for free (if I could I would need to know linux/unix).

The dvr station basically just allows and input for recording and does not include any plugins.

The battery dock basically allows output to a tv and does not include any plugins.

A used battery dock or dvr station would be fine as they do not include any plugins that can not be reused.

Is all that basically correct? Also, are the above mentioned things the only options that unlock capabilities?

My thinking was that being a couple of hundred dollar device when it was new it probably has better hardware/firmware/software than your typical 50$ cheapo no name video mp3 player or your typical sub 100$ cheapo android tablet? I'm not willing to pay a lot as these are for the kids (especially after they recently cracked the lcd screen on their flip camcorder). They have other video players but there are various issues that make it difficult to use (portable dvd players are a pain to strap up and operate in the car, celphones have terrible volume, cheap mp3 players have terrible file compatibility and playback etc).

If possible I would like to be able to throw any file I want at it so I'm on the fence about the plugins. Its mostly stuff I have converted myself over the years in various file formats. Everything I have tried either plays or gives an error that a plugin is needed (most said a plugin is needed). I could convert but I'm not fond on the idea of having a whole second set of video files just for this device.

Any help or advice of any kind would be appreciated. Thanks