Forum.ArchosFans.com
http://forum.archosfans.com/

Why would you want a 405?
http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5815
Page 1 of 1

Author:  backbiter [ Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:26 am ]
Post subject:  Why would you want a 405?

Being a 404 Owner i love the size and portability compared to it's big brother.

Was all set on a 405 but now i know they've dropped the screen rez from original planned rez so it's now same as 404, only a tiny bit thinner, a little bit cheaper (£15 in UK) and 28gb less storage than 404...

Why the hell would you wan't a 405?

Author:  toadsurfer [ Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

I sold my 404 about a month ago in anticipation of getting a 405 with higher res screen. Of course now I've got a 405 I find out the screen res is the same as the 404.
I've found the picture quality to be marginally better on the 405. But this really is only a very slight improvement and is only imo.
The player is a tiny bit lighter and smaller but nowehere near as much as i'd hoped it would be considering it dropped the hard disk and brushed metal case of the 404.
All in all I'm happy with the 405 but if i still had my 404 and know what i know now i would not 'upgrade'. they are basically the same machine but with memory differences.
Obviously if you want 30gb the 404 is the better player but if you're desperate for flash so you can go running with your 405 etc then the 405 is better choice.
Both players prob serve different users but having had both I wouldn't view the 405 as an upgrade.

Author:  ETM [ Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

I think the price of the 405 will drop sharply soon, and it'll be a true contender for the flash based player market, because it has expandable memory and a large screen, coupled with the format support and added capabilities every Archos player has with accessories... Basically, I can't see a sane person going for a flash based iPod over the 405, for the same, or lower, price...

Author:  toadsurfer [ Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

I agree.
When compared to the competition the 405 is great. Things like the cowon d2 or iriver clix 2 are more expensive and have smaller screens.
I reckon the 405 has the potential to make archos more mainstream

Author:  suproach [ Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

if the price went down even farther I might buy one but I doubt it. I would still probably prefer and iPod.

Author:  toadsurfer [ Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

Why? The 405 is only about 10-15 quid more (same price in some stores) as a 2gb nano, but you get bigger and better screen, video playback, expandable memory, much better photo playback, plays music sources other than itunes, potential for video recording, non proprietary usb input etc.
When viewed against other flash mp3 players the 405 looks a very good buy.

Author:  bizzyb0t [ Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:39 am ]
Post subject: 

toadsurfer wrote:
Why? The 405 is only about 10-15 quid more (same price in some stores) as a 2gb nano, but you get bigger and better screen, video playback, expandable memory, much better photo playback, plays music sources other than itunes, potential for video recording, non proprietary usb input etc.
When viewed against other flash mp3 players the 405 looks a very good buy.


I've had the 404, and to be completely honest, if i still had my Archos 404, I wouldn't want to upgrade to a 405. The only reason, I'd get a 405, is if it would support SDHC at 32GB+ with internal drag and drop. with no improvement in screen res, there isn't much else to make you want a 405. I know it's lighter, but I like the mostly metal construction of the Archos x04 for durability as well as aesthetics.

Author:  ETM [ Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:49 am ]
Post subject: 

bizzyb0t wrote:
I've had the 404, and to be completely honest, if i still had my Archos 404, I wouldn't want to upgrade to a 405.


Well, to be fair, toadsurfer did basically say he shouldn't have upgraded, and I was talking about first time owners, not upgraders. When I saw the specs on 405, I was so glad I got the 404...

Author:  bizzyb0t [ Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:21 am ]
Post subject: 

ETM wrote:
bizzyb0t wrote:
I've had the 404, and to be completely honest, if i still had my Archos 404, I wouldn't want to upgrade to a 405.


Well, to be fair, toadsurfer did basically say he shouldn't have upgraded, and I was talking about first time owners, not upgraders. When I saw the specs on 405, I was so glad I got the 404...


As a first time owner, I'd still go for the 404 over the 405 any day. I'm almost certain that If I was a first time buyer (again) I'd have chosen the 605 over the 604 because on paper it looks like a better device. However, after seeing my 604 against my friend's 605, I'm glad that I got the 604 instead of waiting to buy a PMP and getting the 605. Of course, they say ignorance is bliss :p

Author:  ETM [ Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:24 am ]
Post subject: 

bizzyb0t wrote:
As a first time owner, I'd still go for the 404 over the 405 any day.


Well, that does largely depend on time of purchase and price... I'm not certain I'd have considered the 404 such a bargain had I not paid only 199Ôé¼ for it. As I said before, to someone who doesn't need the storage capacity, once the price drops on the 405, it becomes a dream device.

Author:  bizzyb0t [ Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:55 am ]
Post subject: 

ETM wrote:
to someone who doesn't need the storage capacity, once the price drops on the 405, it becomes a dream device.


Very good point!

Author:  backbiter [ Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

Should have named the post "Why would you want a 405?... if you have a 404" :D

Author:  Andy W [ Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:41 pm ]
Post subject:  SD slot in accessories

Maybe so you plug in gizmos like these.... if and when they became available (and if and when they would work on the 405.)

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?p=28328#28328

Author:  toadsurfer [ Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

Love the idea of the digital tv tuner! How cool would that be!!

Author:  suproach [ Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:39 am ]
Post subject: 

I would use a full size PMP (605) for advanced features. An iPod 30g is smaller, and with a simple interface.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC+01:00
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
https://www.phpbb.com/