Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:33 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Just got my 405
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:29 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Not had much time to play with it yet except during work lunchbreak.
First impressions:
Looks quite nice. More plasticky than 404 but more mainstream cool
Screen is pretty much the same as 404. Maybe marginally better as the vertical viewing angle is very slightly better over the 404. But is same resolution and on the preloaded videos you get the same slight grainy mesh effect you had on the 404. Generally picture is colourful and smooth. No really noticeable improvement tho.
The player seems slightly thinner than 404 but only seems slightly lighter altho as have sold my 404 a month ago this may be my memory playing tricks.
Few minor design changes in the menu system but this is basically the 404 in flash memory form. So far I dont think it is worth it over the 404 unless you are obsessed with using sd cards or cant afford the extra few quid for the 404. This is only first impression tho after half an hour tinkering!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That sounds cool.. If you want to post some video or pictures, that would be cool and I will gladly post that to the archosfans.com frontpage blog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:58 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hmm. I can't at the moment. My 405 has died and gone back to the shop for a replacement.
I put camera's sd card in the 405 to view photos. Unfortunately the sd card was formatted by the camera in FAT not FAT32. The 405 got really upset and crashed. Then produced recovery error 104. It demanded to be reformatted and the firmware to be reinstalled. Alas the 405 refused to even think about installing the firmware until I attached a power socket or usb cable. Unbeknownst to the 405 a cable was attached. A stubborn standoff ensued which resulted in 405 being put in a box and being sent back to France in disgrace.
Guess the lesson is sd cards are not swappable just like that - you must check that your camera has formatted the sd card in fat32, if not...kaputt. My camera is a fairly modern canon s3.
Before the 405 and I parted ways i was actually pretty pleased with it. In my view it has slightly better video playback than the 404 and on reflection is a fair bit smaller and lighter. I like the rearrangement of buttons too - much easier to use in the dark or in a pocket. Good audio playback and in hard drive mode the arclibrary is manual not automatic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:25 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

toadsurfer wrote:
Hmm. I can't at the moment. My 405 has died and gone back to the shop for a replacement.
I put camera's sd card in the 405 to view photos. Unfortunately the sd card was formatted by the camera in FAT not FAT32. The 405 got really upset and crashed. Then produced recovery error 104. It demanded to be reformatted and the firmware to be reinstalled. Alas the 405 refused to even think about installing the firmware until I attached a power socket or usb cable. Unbeknownst to the 405 a cable was attached. A stubborn standoff ensued which resulted in 405 being put in a box and being sent back to France in disgrace.
Guess the lesson is sd cards are not swappable just like that - you must check that your camera has formatted the sd card in fat32, if not...kaputt. My camera is a fairly modern canon s3.
Before the 405 and I parted ways i was actually pretty pleased with it. In my view it has slightly better video playback than the 404 and on reflection is a fair bit smaller and lighter. I like the rearrangement of buttons too - much easier to use in the dark or in a pocket. Good audio playback and in hard drive mode the arclibrary is manual not automatic.

Even so if a device cannot support a format it should tell you, not roll over and die.

Post subject: Re: Just got my 405
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

toadsurfer wrote:
[...] More plasticky than 404 but more mainstream cool[...]

A friend of mine bought the 605 after I had shown him the 604. He really didn't give the appearance much thought when he bought it. Well, when it came in I was there as he took it out of the box.

His exact words, "Aww, crap. The gunmetal and silver looks so much cooler."

We went on to discuss how Apple has made white and black plastic the defacto standard for portable electronics. I have to say, the 605 seems a lot lighter than my 604 but in my hands, it feels cheaper to me. Also, the kickstand is off to one side. Which we both agreed was rather disappointing.

From an artistic standpoint I like the 604 and think it stands out from the "mainstream" crowd of black and white "plasticness". I think it looks futuristic and reminds me of something right out of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.

The change in the construction and design in the Archos x05 line is one of the reasons I'm not going to upgrade. I really, really like the silvery metallic looks of the x04 series. It's not that cheap silver-grey but a steel and metallic look. The x05 series has a more plastic and overall "cheap" look to it, IMHO.

As an aside, even though the Archos 605 has a higher dot-pitch than the 604, overall color and contrast representation (in a side-by-side comparison) isn't any better than the 604. I played the same DVD rip side by side and looked at the "color test" picture at the same time. I like my 604's glossy screen. It's the same type of glossiness that my Macbook's screen has. It was also one of the reasons I chose the 604 over the 604wifi. The 604wifi has an inferior screen, IMO.

Bah! I went off on a tangent, sorry! #-o

Last edited by bizzyb0t on Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:20 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The only thing I really hate on my 404, as a graphic designer, is the bloody "ARCHOS 404" in white paint on the front. It's unspeakably ugly. I've been thinking about removing it, but I'd hate to ruin the brushed metal finish. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

**Hey mods, could you move this to the 604 forums perhaps?** ;)

ETM wrote:
The only thing I really hate on my 404, as a graphic designer, is the bloody "ARCHOS 404" in white paint on the front. It's unspeakably ugly. I've been thinking about removing it, but I'd hate to ruin the brushed metal finish. :x

Aye, I've had the same thought about the writing on the front of mine. It might have been nice to have the "Archos x04" as an indented or stamped name with no enamel. That also would have added some "grip" to that bottom area below the screen.

I removed my white lettering with simple "nail polish remover" (that contains acetone). I applied it with a Q-tip to soften the lettering up, then I removed it with my fingernail. It didn't affect the brushed metal finish one bit.

Here are some photos to show you what it looks like now (you can see me typing the post in the reflection):

So, don't be afraid! Acetone nail polish remover+Q-tips+fingernails= harmless logo removal. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:38 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

^^^Awesome! I've been meaning to try that, good to hear it actually works.

EDIT: I tried it, but I guess the acetone was old... maybe later.

Last edited by ETM on Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ETM wrote:
^^^Awesome! I've been meaning to try that, good to hear it actually works.

Yeah, I was a little worried at first, so I tested it on the back of the battery just to be sure. When the "| 04 Series" came off the back of the battery fine, I figured it'd be okay.

Whatever process they use for that brushed metal finish, it's pretty durable.