Post subject: Red and Blue colors
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Source: generationmp3.com flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:06 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I noticed there are some pics around with 305 on them, not 405. Anyone know what the difference is? (when I can find the pic again I'll post it in here!)

NOTE: Charbax later confirmed that this was a labelling mistake!

Last edited by Andy W on Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

the 305 is just some mistake on one prototype..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:42 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

404 and 405 side by side....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:21 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

hmmm gen5 buttons look a bit dodgy compared to gen4 bcoz it looks like theres no grooving.....so good luck trying to press wat u want without using ur eyes.... :?

plus i think volume shouldve bin at the top, but thats just me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

While we're on ergonomics of all these Gen 5's I was a little disappointed to see the headphone socket bottom left. This is because I often hold the device in the palm of my left hand and interface with it with my right (since I'm R/H of course)...but I can't help thinking that the headphone/earbud lead is going to be a bit of a pain in it's new location....on my 604wifi it is top right of course. Is this me being a little too picky or does anyone else share these thoughts???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

yes yes yes yes yes

was just looking at the pics of 605 and noticed the changed headfone position.

i think this is absurd!! how are u meant to have it in ur pocket, with headfones plugged in, and use the buttons at the same time???????

there are 2 positions it can b in: 1. headfones at the top, with the buttons burried; 2. headfones at the bottom so the cable is nicely pressed on all the time so it can weaken and break and give u smiles.

with the headfones at the top, u either have to painfully reach deep down to find the buttons (then u'l hav no idea wat ur pressing) or u hav to pull the WHOLE thing out of ur pocket to get to the buttons................................. :shock:

ALSO, the cable will INEVITABLY get in the way wen it is placed at the closest corners of the device instead of the farthest corners (like with the 604wf) !!!! :!: :!: :!:

wat the }{311 were they thinking???!!!?!?!?!??!!!111!1!11

this is my take on the situation:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://img.clubic.com/photo/00520255.jpg

And the reason for the positionning of the headphones port might be to better prevent static interference for certain headphones with the WiFi which might be mostly at the top of the product, with the new high resolution touch-screen and more..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:12 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

he doesnt have any headfones plugged in, unlike in my precise technical schematics... :lol:

but seriously, he doesnt have any headfones plugged in and he's not exactly grasping it to make sure that it will never fall out of his hand. its more like resting on an open hand. the concern is greater if you use headfones with large plugs like DJ headfones

thats an interesting point tho, with the static prevention. but if they can move the socket, couldnt they move the antenna? just a thought coz i know it mite not be possible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:47 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Yeah, the headphone jack position bothers me on the 404, even though it doesn't have WiFi... I end up using it with just my right hand.

Now that I think of it, they optimized the button positions on the 405 for one handed use, because the OK is too low on the 404, I have to "break" my thumb to get to it.

Although, to be fair, Archos are moving forward with the ergonomics - the button positions on the older models and on the AV series are among the weirdest ever seen on any device.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:59 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

i think the gen4 button design (not worrying about order, position..) are perfect! you can feel exactly which button you are pressing on all thanks to the indentations. im reali sad they got rid of it in the gen5

i wouldnt trust myself using it one handed, because these things cost a lot of money and i cant afford to have them repaired or anything (i wonder if thats even possible in australia...) so i cant take any risks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The new 405 is 150$ suggested retail price, thus probably 120$ or cheaper at the cheapest online retailers, I don't find that to be expensive at all. That's like crazy cheap.

If you want to control it while it stays in the pocket there will be the new FM remote control adapter for suggested retail price 29$, thus probably 20$ at the cheapest resellers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:38 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

yep, thatd probably solve the button problem (hopefully)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Andy W wrote:
While we're on ergonomics of all these Gen 5's I was a little disappointed to see the headphone socket bottom left. This is because I often hold the device in the palm of my left hand and interface with it with my right (since I'm R/H of course)...but I can't help thinking that the headphone/earbud lead is going to be a bit of a pain in it's new location....on my 604wifi it is top right of course. Is this me being a little too picky or does anyone else share these thoughts???
I guess what is bad for one person is a plus for another. The headphone jack on the 604 always got in my way when I was carrying it in a pouch. To change tracks or pause it was always a pain to pull it out because the headphone jack would always get caught up inside the bag. Now with the fm remote though I guess that problem is solved. Imagine not having to unzip a bag in order to pause or change volume. It was also messy when using the headphone out for video having wires coming out of the top as well as below on the dock. The new position might have some getting used to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:58 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

During the June 14th Conference, we had discovered the existence of the Archos 405 in different colors. But Archos hadnÔÇÖt said anything on the subject yet. In fact, the 405 will exist in two colors. The basic grey version ; and a ÔÇ£PurpleÔÇØ one (between violet and red). The 405 should be available at the same time as the 605, i.e. during July.

The 405 is available in France :
http://www.archoslounge.net/Archos-405- ... -chez.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:28 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

honeymonkey wrote:
Andy W wrote:
I guess what is bad for one person is a plus for another. The headphone jack on the 604 always got in my way when I was carrying it in a pouch. To change tracks or pause it was always a pain to pull it out because the headphone jack would always get caught up inside the bag. Now with the fm remote though I guess that problem is solved. Imagine not having to unzip a bag in order to pause or change volume. It was also messy when using the headphone out for video having wires coming out of the top as well as below on the dock. The new position might have some getting used to.

It will never be truly solved without Wireless!