Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:26 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

How can I transfer VOB files from original DVDs?

Should I just be able to copy them direct from the DVD to the Archos (or plugged-in SD card)? I tried this the other day, but got an error message, saying the file could not be created or overwritten. I then spent over an hour copying the VOB files to my PC, then started copying these from the PC to the SD card in the Archos, which Windows said would take 125 minutes, so I stopped (it was midnight!). I copied 2 small VOB files across successfully, but these do not play, and in fact locked up the Archos, requiring me to reset the device.

Do I need to convert/compress the VOB files as part of the process to transfer the files? I've seen lots of references on the forum about decrypting, converting, reducing file sizes. The decrypt software I used took over an hour to decrypt & copy a DVD film to my PC.

How long should the whole process take to transfer a DVD with a feature length film, or multiple short epsiodes, to the Archos ready for viewing?

I have the Cinema plug-in, so I was hoping this would be a very straight forward and relatively quick process; almost drag & drop.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

is your DVD original or copied?

VOB in original DVD is encrypted. you need to rip them out from programs file DVDshrink, DVDFabExpress, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks ecsw.

I will only be transferring from original DVDs, so it sounds like I need to decrypt/rip first. Do I need to treat the files in any other way before they can be copied to the Archos?
How long would you estimate to transfer a feature length movie from original DVD to the SD card on my Archos, including time for ripping and any other file "manipulation"?

Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:38 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

^ yes, search good for "dvd rip". easiest one is DVDShrink, but they stopped the develpment and it might not be able to rip some of the newer DVD protection. Or AnyDVD would be another good program that once installed, you can drag n drop files as normal and it works in the back ground.

No, once you ripped the vob file, simply copy it over. however, most ppl would rather conver it to AVI as it's much smaller in size yet to make sure it plays smoothly.

Ripping DVD depending on how fast your DVD drive is and how much scratches you have on your DVD.
if nothing goes wrong, 16x ripping meaning (very idea but hard to achive) 5~6 minutes for the whole thing. But in the real world, I would say 10 minutes or so for each 2 hours film.

Converting to AVI depending on the quality of your encoding. It can range from 30 minutes to 4~5 hours. :p

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:14 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I use dvd fab 5, and i have a 3 yr old laptop that does not have a duel core processor. It takes about 45 minutes for me to convert a normal movie. Then it takes another 10 minutes or so to copy it over to the archos. BUt again, i have an older laptop. You also need the plug in in order for your archos to play VOB files.