Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:25 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am not, by nature, prone to be in any way superstitious, but the run of good luck I have had regarding my 405 is almost enough to convince me to get a lucky rabbit's foot.

Here's the story so far:

Bought the 2GB 405 for £30, ex display - unit and charger only.

Found a brand new Proporta alu-leather case for £2.52.

Got all the plugins for £15 on ebay.

Went back to the shop about 3 months later to buy a cheap MP3 player for my son and spotted a 405 box on display. Great - a spare 405 in case mine gets damaged. Unfortunately the box proved to be missing the 405. The good news is that it did contain all the accessories for same.
I asked the manager what they would do with the box. He told me it would be thrown away. A quick chat later, he gave it to me for nothing. So now I have all the bits to go with my £30 405 (including the 405 DVR adaptor). My suspicion is that the box in question was the one they couldn't find when I bought the 405, hence the £30 price.....

Last week, I Went back to the shop I bought the 405 from and noticed a dusty DVR station box in the back of a display cabinet. Walked out of the shop with a sealed Gen 5 DVR station for £9.97.

Yesterday, my 405 was dropped from the upper landing by my youngest son. It fell 15 feet onto a wooden floor, bounced at least 2 feet up again and landed about 2 inches from a bucket of water. Not only is it completely unmarked, but it still works perfectly. It wasn't even in its protective case at the time. I somehow doubt that the 30gb model would have proved to be as forgiving......
My son will be forgiven as soon as he gets out of hospital :D .

So, I am thinking of using my new found DVR facilities to record some religious programmes. I am also going to try using the serial number of my 405 as lottery numbers.

Still haven't worked out how to get BBC iplayer files to work on the 405, but I have a feeling I'll get there sooner or later [-o<

:lol:

Martin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:37 am 

LOL you lucky sod!!!!, i know full well i would only need to drop any of my player a couple of inches and that would be it, it would cause a chain reaction that would result in the player being distroyed, my tv smashed, then finally the house burning down. :cry:

anyways bbc iplayer is dead easy, just select the file you want to download (at the bottom - select media player download). then the important bit is to run the file on your machine first for a good 10 secs or so - this is so the licences are downloaded.
then you will have to change your player from hard drive mode to wmp mode,
now connect up and select the mtp device in your computer.
just drag and drop the file to video folder. as long as your in windows mode on the player it will copy the licences over.
roy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks Roy - iplayer working like a charm!

=D> =D>

Cheers - just watched first night of the Proms. Made my day!

Martin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Excellent news..I'm always dropping stuff and need a unit that will enable me to record from a camera with burnt-in time code for interviews..Will this unit do the job without other mongery being added such as a docking station?