Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:32 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This is my first post after reading lots of posts on here...I don't see a lot of talk for the 405 and didn't know if reading about the 605 is just the same.

Just bought a 405 2GB from eBay. Claimed it was new. Seemed new when it arrived, but I believe the HDD is broken. Now the bastard won't refund it as promised prior to buying. He didn't exactly pack it snuggly so maybe it got dropped too much? His name is Chris W. and works at Walgreens in Boca Raton. Don't buy from him if he sells another one. That's a whole 'nother story.

Of course Archos' Tech Support is vague. "...broken. Send it in for repairs." My Win XP machine recognizes a MTP device, and 2 drives show up...but I can't access them in the explorer. I tried formatting the drive and even ran chckdsk. Formatting it worked up til the end and then I get an error. I plugged it in to my Mac and it does not recognize it the drive as normal. It brings up Disk Utility, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do with that if anything at all. I've tried transferring files from a SD card to the HDD. No luck either. The screen freezes. I can reboot and will either the code 101 or 105 or 102. I have to keep pushing the button on the side with a paperclip to get back to the OS. I believe the firmware is a really old one. 1.3.08.

Any suggestions other than, "send it back to Archos?" I've read that people should just buy another Archos instead of paying for the hefty repair bill. Is this so? The seller also claims that it's under warranty still, but can't/won't send me the receipt to have it repaired under warranty. Does anyone know an estimated cost for Archos to repair a HDD? Can I easily change the HDD myself with the 1.3.08 firmware? I've upgraded the HDD on my XBOX before so I have a little clue about locking and unlocking, but I'm not a code reader/writer. I've also tried everything else that I've read on here: click NO several times when the white screen comes on...rebooting while holding TV button down. I don't hear any clicking...could it just be bad firmware? I can't access the HDD to d/l the a new firmware anyway.

Also I mainly want this so I can use it with my Dish PVR. I entered my Dish serial number on the Archos site to download the plugin, but it said that I don't have a compatible receiver. It's a 622! This thing has been very frustrating. Do I just call Dish or call Archos for this?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:01 pm 

first of all the 405 sd version has no hard drive, its solid state flash memory.
if you have older firmware then you need to update this, download the latest firmware from the web site and keep it on your hard drive for the time being.
then turn on your machine holding the tv/lcd button, this will bring you into the recovery consul.
select repair (option 2)
then connect your pc to the machine (dont select done yet).
when it is connected copy over the firmware to the root of the machine, only when this has completed select "done"
this will take a few mins to complete but you should find it will work ok after.
then the best thing for you to do is change the machine from wm mode to hhd mode

to do this select menu, settings, system, then change the usb prefrence to pc hard drive auto arclib.

the problems you are getting are from corrupted firmware which can occur if you havent followed the recovery correctly or not ejected sd cards correctly. the 405 2gb is a solid and reliable machine and should give you lots of hassle free use.
roy