Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:37 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:51 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Its a bit confusing and but it seems that the 405 30gb (the player i have) is not compatible with accessories from other gen5 players. (like the 405 SD players)

basically, i lost my usb>weird-archos-connector cable, and i am thinking of buying a dock like the mini dock in order to use the usb host function.

1. as far as i can tell, i cant buy the cable at archos. only for 405-SD
2. i can only buy the Dvr travel adapter because the archos site tells me that it is the only dock avalible for the 405 30gb

is this correct? and am i correct that there used to be a usb-dock but they dont sell it anymore?

is buying the dvr travel adapter my ONLY option??? that would suck very much, pardon my French 8)

UPDATE:

after reading t.f. manual =D> i figured out that i needed the Docking Adaptor Gen 4 (ref:500879)

also known as the:
Archos Docking Adapter Kit for 404, 504, and 604 Series Players

and far as i know archos dont sell them anymore on they're online store (and dont even give any info on the existence of the darn thing)

only question remains, is it still possible to obtain an usb to W.A.C (Weird Archos Connector) cable?
does anyone have a Ref Nr on it? and, is it the same a the cable sold with the other Gen4 players?
(and, is the 405-30gb actually a gen4 machine ??)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:20 am 

nope your incorrect, the cables that wont fit the 30 gb is the standard usb lead with the mini a (i think) connection, the 2gb ships with this one. your player has the bigger one which is the same lead thats used on the 605. also why not just get the mini dock for the 05 generation?, the 04 dock will fit but wont give you tv out and usb host seems to be more hit and miss with the 04 dock on an o5 machine (ive tried it). the mini dock or battery dock will suit your needs, there are also many places that will sell you a 05 compatible lead (just search for 605 usb lead and it should bring them up)
hope that helps
roy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So you are telling me that normal gen5 dock work just fine on my 405-30gb? because i get the impression that its a different machine than 405-sd and 605.

all spec on the gen5 dock's say : compatible with 405-2gb and 605..

but if you tell me it will work fine. super, those gen5 docks will suit my needs beter..

b.t.w tv-out works already using a 3-way mini jack on the headphone output.

thank you for your info.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:55 pm 

you have confused me know or your confused, are you sure you have a 405 and not a 404?. tv out is built in on the 404 but not the 405. you will get audio out on both players but not tv out on the newer model. the docks will work fine if it is a 405 you have. please conferm that tv out actually works and desplays on your tv not only music.
roy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:07 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well you did it. You made me get up out of my chair and checking my 405 if its a 405..

yes its a 405, and yes, using my nokia 3-way mini jack lead (from a N95) i have composite video output at full PAL resolution.

i posted pic of my device few months back here :see last post

i thought that was common knowledge.

well im just going to order a mini dock and see what happens.. fingers crossed :)

UPDATE: i ordered a mini dock gen5 via an electro store, so i can check it out in the store.(Ôé¼28,- sounds oke, no shipping costs) hope to check it out tomorrow.

sIRwa2.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:05 pm 

errrrr, im really really really confused now, that quiet obviously says 405 on the picture, but it has the button layout of the 404, also the back plate makes it look like a 404. the 05 range has the ok button on the top where your power and hard drive lcds are. im wondering if its a hybrid lol. im gona have to do some more research on that model, i have the 405 2gb and mine looks nothing like that one.
roy

edit, damn that is strange, i finally found a picture of the player
405 30gb
405 2gb

as you can see the buttons are from an 404, this is really weird, im not sure anyone has noticed this before.
and you say you ALREADY have tv out on that machine, archos kept that quiet!!!, do you have a on board speaker as well as this isnt on the 2gb but is on the 404. it really does look like a cross breed from where im standing, im chewing over getting one just to have a look now.
the plot thickens
roy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

so, you didnt knew the 2gb model and the 30gb model where different in layout and more ?

but i agree, its wierd, the 405-30gb is compatible with all gen4 dock's AND the gen5 dvr dock :!: :?:

it feels like a gen-4› model is many ways. :arrow: so will it be compatible with the gen5 mini dock?? and why did those mad scientists ever come up with such a devious hybrid??

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Actually......... What are the differences between the 404 and the 405 30GB????

Beside looks....

I think Archos took the old 404 that were left cold from sales... and only made a newer (not necesarily better) case and sold them as 405 30GB...

Note that now they dont even appear in their webpage under Portable Media Player ---> 405 (they show only 2GB with SD)

So I think this player its pretty good... but the only downside (just like the 405 2GB) is the battery life.... The one I have only last 2 hours for video from the SD card... and that its horrible.... after only 1 year and a half.

My 3 y/o AV500 still last over 5 hours from the original battery

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:05 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

in the mean time, to keep the topic hot, im still waiting for the mini dock for the 405, they told me its the last they have, so it needs to go tru intern transport to get to my store.

but i do get this feeling that BUC is right, the 405-30Gb is a gen4 machine with gen5 looks and maybe firmware...

please hold..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:39 am 

its wrong if thats the case, it shouldnt be marketed as a 05 model if infact it is a 04. maybe someone who owns a 404 may have the guts to try and instal the 405 30gb firmware and see if it takes.
the one good thing is if the dock dosnt work on your player you have good and solid grounds to return the item.
did you say you had a built in speaker on the player? as the 405 2gb has none. but tv out would have been sweet built in.
my av300 still gets me around 4hrs on video playback even after all these years, but then again shes on her 3rd battery now. the 2gb im lucky for 2hrs as buc said. its just awlful on the battery life and generates too much heat for a sd based player - my 605 flash generates very little in comparison which is kinda strange as they are both basically the same machine.
roy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:15 am 

any update about the dock?
roy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

yes,but the forum was crashed or whatever.. and ive been busy last few day's

The news is: I got the gen5 dock and low and behold, my 405 is 1 mm thicker then the sd versions.. meaning that 2 little bumps on the dock prevents the connectors from fitting..

now, you can very easily take a knife and cut them off, but that still doesn't guarantee compatibility.. and buying a 25Ôé¼ dock, cutting it up and finding out that it doesn't work is not something i can afford at the moment.. so i think ill be looking for a gen4 dock second-hand somewhere..

bummer. the recorder aint more then a year old but its seems ancient when you look for accessories and stuff..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:47 am 

the dock dosnt fit???? thats really strange, my battery dock fits all my 05 models and my dads fatter (more than 2mm) 160gb 605, i would contact archos and ask them what the deal is with the 405 30gb, its really is a mix and match product from the looks and sounds of it. i really want to get my hands on one now to have a look. im sorry for you and this problem - maybe archos will assist, well they should do as its the correct dock for the model.
keep us posted
roy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:55 am 
Archos User
Archos User

roylovelock wrote:
maybe someone who owns a 404 may have the guts to try and instal the 405 30gb firmware and see if it takes.
Tempting, but mine's a 404CC, and at best I would lose the camera functions. Probably my plug-ins would go away as well. On the other hand, I might gain the ability to use the Dish Network plug-in, something that only works on gen 5 pmps.

Incidentally, I had to buy a gen 5 DVR station because I couldn't find a gen 4 model. Then I had to buy a gen 4 remote. :cry: But amazingly enough, it works just fine. The fit is snug. You sure you can't just lean on it a tad?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well,, to finish up this story, i finally found a new Gen4 docking adaptor, its the last one in holland im sure.

(if any of you out there is planning to buy gen4 or gen5 stuff, do it now, 6 months from now you wont find anything any more.)

im amazed that it can power a 2.5" usb harddrive.. although it drains the battery's like hell, and is not good for watching movies..

i like tho thank everyone that tried to help me out, think about the problem.. im pretty sure gen4 and gen5 stuff is compilable, except for some physical size issue's..

Greetzz