Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 9:38 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I bought an Archos 405 30G mainly to transfer my dvd's onto in so I can use it on holiday but so far I have not been able to do anything with it except transfer photos from my laptop. I am not a particularly techy person, and I find the instructions to be no of help what so ever. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Is it possible to transfer the dvds from my laptop or do I need to play them in the DVD player.... I am totally hopless with this. Can anyone tell me the procedure on how to set it up and do it.
I also have trouble trying to record from the TV. I have a HD ready tv with built in freeview (no sky/cable) and a DVD player. I managed to download the tv programme guide and the podcast and set the archos to record a programme this morning as a trial. The Archos seems to have recorded something, but I just can't see the programme. The screen is completely blank when I press ok to play the programme... can anyone offer me advice, particularly on the dvd issue. (basic English please!!!!)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Goto the 605 forum and see the Fairuse Wizard tutorial.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

To watch DVDs on you Archos 405 you need to first make an MP4 copy of the DVD and then transfer it to the VIDEO folder on your Archos 405.

How to make an MP4 copy:

1) You need to use MP4 converter software. A good, easy to use (and free) one is DVD Catalyst (http://www.clickapps.com/moreinfo.htm?pid=18048). Choose the version for iPod v1.0. Download and install on your PC.

2) Load up DVD Catalyst on your PC and select iPod Classic/Nano/Video from the drop down menu. This is the best format for the Archos 405 using this software. It basically downsizes the DVD file to screen size 320x240 and converts into the best format for the Archos 405.

3) Insert DVD and click green arrow to start. A pop-up box will ask where to you want to save the mp4 file. The conversion process takes about 2 hours per movie.

4) Once converted the movie will be approx. 400-700mb in size. This means you could save up to 40 movies on your Archos 405 30gb.