Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:10 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:10 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Hello guys i just sold my archos 605 and i might be getting an archos 405. (i had portability issues). Anyway, how long does it take to charge the archos 405 without any docks through the usb port?

Also, are there issues with the SD cards, such as error 102 and 104 (experienced on the archos 605 flash).
Apparently on the archos 605 flash if you have a sd card inside, and the battery runs out, you have to format it as an error comes up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:58 am 

i own both the 405 and 605, the 405 seems to be a lot better at taking sdhc cards but some problems still arise, (as you know this happens regually on the 605). the player has never been formatted unlike the 605. ive never charged solely on usb so cant answer that question, but the player does charge on standard usb cables and dosnt need the archos one. Over all the player is very very basic compaired to the 605, it will do the job of listing to music and videos, but the screen cannot touch the 605 in quality.
Ive also found the machine runs very warm in comparision to the 605 (also sd version), this seems to nuke the battery life which isnt all that great either. there are plenty of reviews on the battery life in this room so i wont go into it.
But if its portablity you need and this is the size player you want you would probally be better waiting for the 30gb version or getting 404 which has the added bonus of extra space and for my money i cant see any real difference other than the buttons being located differently, also the 404 looks a lot prettier with the brushed steel effect than the crumby white look.
just my 2pence worth
roy

edit.... just to add, the 405 also seems to be more hardy with videos, ive had movies on cards that play fine on the 405 but the same card (which works ok on the 605) then tried the video on the 605 would just crash. i have no understanding why this happens as i would have thought both machines uses the same code at the root just the 605 has more added.
roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:37 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

thanks alot for the information.!
Just would like to ask one more thing, how does the archos 405 screen compare in quality to ipod touch/iphone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:10 am 

i really cant comment, i have always hated the ipod and steered clear of them - sorry, someone else here maybe able to help though.
roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:44 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I share your feelings Roy.. but I have always thought wise to know the competitor well... (thats the point of that part of the forum in here)...

Raven2000... I cant tell why do you need to compare Itouch with 405... maybe a nano...

Anyway... screen specific...

Itouch has a 480X320 3.5" widescreen... that is 163 pixels per inch...

Archos 405 has a 320X240 3.5" screen... that is 114 pixels per inch...

Archos 605 has a 800X480 4.3" ws... that is 215 pixels per inch

I have an AV500 which is 480X272 and 4" screen.... so 137 pixels per inch... And I find it awsome while viewing pictures or watching movies... everyone who have seen my player comment of how great the resolution is....

I bought a 405 for my mother last christmas... and its a good player.. she wanted mostly for music... but I thought of the big screen for her age...

Back to the point... I find it pretty good to watch movies, or tv shows in it... I do notice pixelation near edges of figures, next to my AV500.. But its not annoying at all... Actually the colors in the 405 are more accurate...

Itouch Screen

The Good: resolution... glass screen, almost no scratches..
The Bad: Glass finish atract fingerprint and smudges...

The Good: Not glossy ar all, matte... That is almost no reflection, so good for outside viewing...
The Bad: Could get scratch easy.. I use a screen protector but it leave it glossy, so it would kill the advantage...

The 405 is a good player... I like it.. but i think its needed tohave the mini dock...
The USB charging times are long.. and it doesnt charge fully the device...

With the dock, the player is charge in 2 I think... and the battery last almost as stated...

Good Luck..

Post subject: My 2 cents
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:19 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

The 405 takes less time to charge than the 605, but it is still a few hours. Mine has charged, in the DVR station, in 3-4 hours; add an hour or so if you are charging via USB.

Music sounds pretty good and having the ability to swap out SDHC cards with various media is pretty nice. I would suggest looking for a 404 though as having a full 30gb at hand rather than various capacity SDHC is nice unless you really like swapping cards. :lol:

The Battery Dock is nice too as it really expands the play time if you watch a lot of video, if music is your thing then don't worry about anything other than a good case. The 405 is really light too. :D