Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:27 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Charging over mini-USB
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I see the 405 has a miniUSB port in addition to the proprietary USB connection.

Is it possible to charge the device over the miniUSB? I.e. could I use my existing mains/car mini-USB chargers I have for a GPS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:38 pm 

yep, i use my htc charger on mine all the time to save walking around with two chargers. Just make sure that the output is 5volts (should be ok as the standard is 5volts).
roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:57 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Cheers. Was pondering over a 605 vs a 405 for headcam use, but that may swing it, cos I can then charge it off my car/whatever with kit I already have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:06 am 

you can charge both using the mini usb, but on the 605 you will also need another dock as far as i know as im pretty sure the 405 is now the only one with the mini usb socket on board. The 605 is far superiour machine, if your using it for extreme sports your probally better off with the 605 4gb version, the 405 is ok but is very light on features, for the extra few quid you will spend the 605 is better value and it will support upto 32gb sd hc cards where the 405 is 16gb atm (i tend to think it will support the 32gb though as ive had no problems running sdhc cards on the device even though it only sd).
roy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello, i bought this player a couple days ago and just wanna know if i could use mini usb travel charger (Image for my archos 405, because not everywhere you could find a computer to charge it, Thanks.

EDIT: also what difference between Mains charger and Usb-mini charger? which one is better?

so i see not many people are visiting here

i've couple more questions and would be grateful if someone could ask me

1. does the mini-usb charger charges archos faster than connected to PC? because yesterday i as charging it thorugh PC, and it took about ~5,5h and i had to turn off computer, but the LED wasn't blinking, it showed like 5 bars.
2. Also what can you offer for longer video playback? i read something about battery docks as they also can charge and you can use it as a battery, so how longer i could watch videos with this batter dock?
3. and whats the difference between this mains charger Image and that usb charger at the top of this post?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Almost two years later.... better late than never?

Yes, you should be able to use a charger like that.

1) No. From what I can tell, the 405 limits itself to about 0.5 A on the USB, irrespective of how much the charger can provide.

2) Yes, there is a battery pack you can buy for the 405: http://www.newmp3technology.com/aabox405.htm . I use it and it works. The internal battery is about 2000 mAH, a good set of rechargeables is about that or a bit more, so it should double your battery life. I also found this one, have not tried it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SZ ... RSTZ97VFWW

Note that the battery charger plugs into a different slot than the USB. From what I can tell, on the 405 this plug draws more current, enough to play video via external power. If you plug something into the USB port, it does not draw enough current for playback, it's only useful for charging.

There is also this battery dock: http://www.amazon.com/Archos-Battery-Do ... B000S6PENY We have this one too (needed TV output), but it doesn't work well. It does not seem to draw enough current to support playback via external battery.

3) No idea what the mains charger is