Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:00 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Alternative to DVR Dock
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:41 am 
When considering whether to purchase a 405 or 605, I was consistently bothered by the notion of how to record my favorite television shows (I work nights) and still be able to use my Archos at work to listen to music, etc. I couldn't understand why I should have to leave my unit behind to utilize the DVR function. Luckily, I found a great alternative to the DVR Dock.

If you have a 405 or the 4 GB 605, take a look at the Sandisk V-Mate. It works like a VCR only it records onto media cards (most notably, SD format cards) in an mp4 format. You can hook this thing up to any video source (analog/RCA connections) even a DVD player (it bypasses Macrovision encoding)!

Using its Medium Quality setting (320 X 240 resolution) it records almost 2 hours on a 1 GB card. I purchased two 2 GB cards (one for each night) and swap them in and out of my Archos. Now, I never miss a show and I always have my Archos with me. I still had to purchase the mp4 codec but $20 is nothing compared to the $100 Dock.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sounds just the job. I've just read a couple of mixed reviews on Amazon. Something about interference when playing back on some devices, and also something about widescreen recordings getting stretched. Have you experienced any problems using it? I'm thinking of getting one, my DVR's gone on the fritz and I'm not in a place I can easily return it from (cheaply).
=============================
=======================
===================
=================
=============
===========
=======
=====
===
=

==Maybe something or someone you know can help Giorgi to get better?==
encephalitis can strike anyone... anytime... anyplace... anywhere... it struck Giorgi down in July 2007

Giorgi has an Acquired Brain Injury as a result of being clean-bowled by this terrible thing, which everyone should be aware of. We're doing all we can to look after him - but we're open to suggestions on how we can do better. Maybe you hold the key to giving him his life back? Please spare a few moments of your time to find out by clicking here

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:19 pm 
I have not had any problems except with the owner's manual. It does not provide much info on how to use the device. As always, update to the latest firmware to improve any problems.

Neuros Technology makes a similar unit but that doesn't have a clock or IR Blaster.

I found mine for $65 US on sale

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

sgtmike44 wrote:
I have not had any problems except with the owner's manual. It does not provide much info on how to use the device. As always, update to the latest firmware to improve any problems.

Neuros Technology makes a similar unit but that doesn't have a clock or IR Blaster.

I found mine for $65 US on sale

I ordered one, it should reach me after Christmas. I looked at the Neuros one but I couldn't figure out if it takes SDHC cards or not.

I don't suppose the V-Mate actually outputs a video signal to let you watch movies from an SD card?

Totally agree this is a great solution to time-shifting stuff which is on when you have your Archos with you.