Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:00 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 611 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:15 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

First of all I think your way over reacting to the fact that you can't see a "secure" icon. That doesn't necessarily mean its not encrypted at all. Plus its not like around every corner there's id theives somehow putting a port logger in your DSL lines. Plus you should be using secured wifi if u really care neway. And linux isn't "unhackable" but there's no viruses designed to attack an archos, seeing as so few people have them and their processing power and connectivity is limited. You can download attachments if their in pdf or a media format. And most ID theives aren't too interested in buying archos merchandise. Do you think if someone stealls your credit card, they can't just type your name into zabasearch and get your adress age and phone number? You are sadly misinformed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Not very moderate suproach :).

I'd have to agree that the risk is not great even with wifi.
And as for such concern over someone getting your name and address - that's a little over the top - your name and address are already out there if you have a phone.

However, some of vinay's comments are legitimate. You say that the lack of a secure icon doesn't mean it's not encrypted - while that is technically true, I would say it's highly unlikely. Why write your own proprietary encryption in some scripting language for the browser which may or may not support it when you can use a standard mechanism already built into the major browsers? And one which also provides visual confirmation that encryption is taking place? And it's not exactly expensive or difficult to support https: links to protect billing and payment information - nor does it add excessive overhead if you limit its use and keep the pages simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:18 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I just did a quick test on Archos store site. I selected an accessory, entered a bogus name/address/etc. All of this was entered on a non-secure site. However, when it came to the credit card page, it did switch to a secure site (https://www.archos.com/cgi-ssl/shop/payment.cgi). Opera recognized it and displayed the lock on the toolbar as well.

So, yes, your name/address/etc. is not encrypted, but the most important data is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax wrote:
auzieblogger wrote:
BloodyIron wrote:
When trying to play a specific XViD video, it only plays the first 3 seconds or so of it when I play it on my archos. However, when I read from the archos the same file, on my computer, it plays the full length.

Happened to me yesterday with Futurama movie I tried, have to check what encoding it is when I get home

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=3828

I am having the same problem. Videos that were working before now all of a sudden stop at the 3 second or so mark. I read the topic you quoted above, but I believe that is for a diff situation. The new firmware is the only thing that is different for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:11 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

the video plays fine on my computer, if it's rated to play divx why should it fail to play in the first place? (divx and xvid go hand in hand).

Also, despite the (800x400?) resolution, I recall archos stating they scale video?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:19 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I didn't read all the posts here so sorry if this has been said already.
I have set some videos as adult content and enabled the parental control.
The problem comes when I switch on the Archos,if I sign in using the correct password it gives me access to all the adult content files on the unit which is correct.
If I then watch a video part way through and then stop it and switch the 605 off and then back on again but this time don't log in correctly I can resume the adult content video even though I didn't log in correctly.
That surely has to qualify as a bug,it kind of defeats the parental control if you can just resume the last file played.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:05 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This is essentially the same bug that was previously posted. However, I have added the exact steps necessary to reproduce the issue.

Bug: User is able to play content marked as adult while in child mode.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Start while Parental Mode is set to "Adult (unrestricted access)"
2. Set the permission on any existing video as containing Adult content. (It does not matter if the content actually contains adult material.)
3. Start playback of selected video and then halt playback before it reaches the end.
4. Set Parental Mode to "Child (restricted access)" (Set up a lock-out code if one does not already exist.)
5. Enter the video menu and note the 'restricted' video no longer appears in the selection list. This is the expected behavior and confirms that the video was marked as 'restricted'.
6. Return to the main display menu and note that the resume playback icon is present.
7. Select the icon and note that the 'restricted' video resumes playback.

Archos 605 WiFi 30GB
Firmware v1.7.06

I had also planned to report an issue with Vongo not recognizing my player after upgrading to firmware 1.7.06. However, while stepping through the reproduction process, Vongo requested that I download an update. That update corrected the problem and I am now using Vongo with my Archos. :)

Post subject: Bug -.-
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

A605, 30 GB
New firmware 1.7.06

Bug: The touchscreen isn't working anymore. Really. The Screen itself works, displays everything fine.

Tried: Rebooted and resetted about 5 times - didn't work.
I tried to fully reinitialize the unit, removed everything - didn't work.

The A605 is just a stiff piece of hardware without working touchscreen.
Once again, "never touch a running machine"...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:09 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

When you said you reset it - I assume you mean the paper clip in the hole of the bottom of the unit?

Post subject: Re: Bug -.-
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:19 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

waebi wrote:
A605, 30 GB
New firmware 1.7.06

Bug: The touchscreen isn't working anymore. Really. The Screen itself works, displays everything fine.

Tried: Rebooted and resetted about 5 times - didn't work.
I tried to fully reinitialize the unit, removed everything - didn't work.

The A605 is just a stiff piece of hardware without working touchscreen.
Once again, "never touch a running machine"...

This may sound silly, but did you attempt to recalibrate the touch screen display? I had trouble with the touch screen too, after doing a full recovery. I couldn't select anything, and if I used the hardware keys to bring up the settings, the menus would just cancel out as soon as I tapped anywhere on the display. I finally came to the realization that it was probably just a touch screen calibration issue. So using the hardware keys, to navigate the menus, I selected Settings->Display->Touch-Screen Calibration. After that, no more problems.

Post subject: Re: Bug -.-
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

jkgamer wrote:
This may sound silly, but did you attempt to recalibrate the touch screen display? I had trouble with the touch screen too, after doing a full recovery. I couldn't select anything, and if I used the hardware keys to bring up the settings, the menus would just cancel out as soon as I tapped anywhere on the display. I finally came to the realization that it was probably just a touch screen calibration issue. So using the hardware keys, to navigate the menus, I selected Settings->Display->Touch-Screen Calibration. After that, no more problems.

that was the first thing i tried - and it didn't work ;-)

Now i tried again and IT JUST WORKED!! OMG -.-

thx for that, i think the reinitialisation wasn't really necessary ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:55 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Looks like firmware 1.7.13 was released today. The patch is supposed to fix the PDF in 12hr mode bug as well as the Resume of protected content while in child mode, so those of you who have reported those problems should update to the latest firmware for the fix.

On a side note, it seems like Archos support is definitely listening to the bug reports and fixing them in reasonable time. Way to go Archos!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:34 am 
Archos User
Archos User

ranceramos wrote:
it seems like Archos support is definitely listening to the bug reports and fixing them in reasonable time. Way to go Archos!

Yes, good one Archos! Here's a repeat of a bug I found but reported it in the 'latest firmware' thread, so if Archos are watching just this thread they may not have seen it...

---------------

Actually, in the end, after upgrading to the latest firmware (1.7.06 - 3rd Dec 07), I did find a problem with the shuffling.

Under normal use it appears OK, when set to SHUFFLE - ALL. You can go back and forth until the cows come home and the tunes stay the same.

However, it's when using the QUEUE function when it all goes awry. Inserting a tune into the Archos-made shuffled playlist and playing it, and all seems OK. Go to the one after the newly-inserted tune and all OK. Go back across the newly-inserted tune and the one previous has changed! Play that one, then play the newly-inserted tune and the one after it has changed!

Keep rocking back and forth and the ones either side of the newly-inserted tune keep changing - you can't keep the original playlist! So your newly-inserted tune stays nicely rock solid, but all the world around it keeps changing....

Unh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:53 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

anyone have a file corrupted code 206 when trying to install the latest update on 80gb wifi?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ranceramos wrote:
A605 160
Firmware 1.7.06

Bug: Can't view PDF files while clock is in 12hr format (attempts to open but just returns to main screen)

Bug: Can't toggle subtitles on/off in movies via the touch screen until the hard buttons are first used

Good thread! Let's hope people use this to get bugs fixed and not to Archos bash/whine

Where is the hard button to toggle the subtitles??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:00 pm 
ranceramos wrote:
A605 160

Bug: Static is present when using headphones with wifi

Still present in 1.7.13 (A605 40) (very annoying :( )

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:43 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

SamY wrote:
I just got off the phone with an Archos U.S. technical support rep. I reported the following 3 problems with the 605:

1. PDF files not displayed when clock is in 12-hr mode with firmare 1.7.06.
2. No SPDIF output from DVR station when Wifi mode is enabled.
3. Maximum bandwidth less than half that of the 604-wifi when streaming video over the network.

Regarding #1, I was happy to hear that they already had discovered it in-house and that it should be fixed in the next firmware release.

He was not aware of problem #2, but shared my optimism regarding a fix when I told him how easily reproducable it is. They have a lab at their facility (Denver?) and he will try to verify that it happens there. If so, it should be possible to resolve it via firmware (unless, of course, it is a hardware problem as some have hypothesized).

He will also try to reproduce problem #3. I told him that I have a 3-minute .avi encoded at 4015 kbps that streams flawlessly on my 604 wifi but begins stuttering and freezing after only a few seconds on my 605. I offered to send it to him so they could use it for testing. He said they will be setting up an FPT site next week for customers to upload problem documentation and he would email me with the info when the site is up and running.

Altogether, he was very professional and seemed genuinely interested in identifying and resolving the problems. Time will tell if they share his enthusiasm back at Igny (Archos HQ).

A605F 4Gb

#1 is fixed in 1.7.13
#2 and #3 are still happening, and #3 seems to be worse in 1.7.13. I wish there was a way to go back to 1.3.54. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:49 am 
Archos User
Archos User

buffer underruns leading to playback stuttering
refer:

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=10678

i would have thought this would be a priority to address in firmware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:40 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Though the only buffer underrun on wifi I've experienced is with high bitrate movies (ie 3600+ kb/s, AC3, 688x384, 1200mb xvid avi was basically unplayable over wifi; plays perfectly from the HD though), the file transfer over wifi seems to be quite slower and more prone to failure. I'm wondering if they attempted to fix the wifi interference issue by simply turning down the broadcast gain of the wifi antenna (or perhaps limited the bandwidth). If that's the case, they should revert it because the static interference is exactly the same as always but now other functions are subpar....

I also get occasional stuttering on some VOBs even when they're on the HD, which can be annoying at times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:53 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

ranceramos did you run the test on the demo mpeg4 files as per the linked thread?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 611 Next