Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:31 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 511 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:53 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I get errors on a few Youtube videos, but most of them work fine for me. If you give me an example of one that doesn't work for you, I'll try it on mine. I never tried streaming from Joox before the update, but I got an error on every one I tried just now using the "Download this video" link. I select "Play" from the "Download or Play" prompt, it buffers for a few seconds, and then displays the "Cannot play video! please check" error box. Is that what you're seeing? Charbax, when was the last time you tried Joox? Are you running with the latest firmware?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am testing Joox right now with the latest firmware, it works fine.. Do you have hard drive version, enough available disc space on yours? Do you clear your temp and cache files once in a while? I tried 25th Hour, Halloween and Resident Evil to be exact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:53 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Charbax wrote:
I am testing Joox right now with the latest firmware, it works fine.. Do you have hard drive version, enough available disc space on yours? Do you clear your temp and cache files once in a while? I tried 25th Hour, Halloween and Resident Evil to be exact.

I have the 4 Gb Flash version with 3.5 Gb of free flash memory, and 4 Gb free out of 8 Gb SD memory. I don't like clearing my temp and cache files because it wipes out my Favorites, login cookies, and wifi connection profiles. Anyway, I went to Joox and tried to play "25th Hour" but got the usual error message. Then I tried it again after doing a complete power off and reboot. This time the movie started and streamed fine. However, I got the error when I tried to scroll ahead 20 or 30 minutes. At least it would start and play correctly though. After that, I bit the bullet and cleared my temp and cache files and tried streaming form Joox again. It made no additional improvement, so I don't think I'll be doing that again soon, at least not until I find a way to back up and restore my favorites, cookies, and wifi connection profiles. So, as has been stated in this forum before, the first thing one should do when a problem occurs is to power off / reboot and try again. Unfortunately, there are still many problems that this doesn't resolve -- such as the three I reported to Archos earlier today (see above). Anyway, thanks for your help, Charbax. I'm going to do some more testing with a freshly-formatted SD card and see if that makes any difference. My feeling at the moment is that some of the problems I am seeing are specific to the 4 Gb Flash version, due to slow flash memory access times. I wish I had a hard drive based 605 to do comparison testing. Right now I only have a 30 Gb 604 Wifi to compare with, and it does not exhibit any of the three previously mentioned problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have a 20mbit/s download connection, perhaps such a fast Internet connection is better for streaming certain DivX videos that have higher than 1mbit/s bitrates. Does Joox work smoothly on your computer?

I can jump once in my Joox streaming, for example immediately I jump towards the middle of the movie, it'll take a few seconds and start playing just fine and synch the audio if needed after the first keyframe I suppose. Then a little later if I want to jump back or forward to some other random place, it will crash and exit the video. So I need to restart the video (such as click the Download link again), but it will then play fine once I jump forward to the place I wanted to be at in the video.

Surely this is somekind of a waste of bandwidth and it's not very user friendly, so hopefully they can better manage the Play streaming feature for DivX files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:36 am 
Archos User
Archos User

If it's any consolation or answer the home page of Joox is saying 'expect the site to unstable and/or strange for a while' (their bad grammar not mine :) ).

Unh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:33 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

605 40Gb
1.7.06 firmware

there seems to be intermittent problems with the content portal when trying to buy the plug ins. spent almost 12h frustating time either trying to pay or when i did make the transaction through most of the steps via the A605 but on the last step of card online password verification even though password was correct on cliking the submit button on many occassions would end up getting a blank screen. so wasnt sure if the secure website was being hijacked to another site where i had to fill in my credit card details etc. but thankfully it just seemed to be some bug i couldnt figure out on their server (my assumption) as after multiple attempts over many hours the transaction went through and i bought the browser. or so i thought. later discovered just the payment had gone through and i got confirmation of the transaction by email but that email said i would get another email with details of how to get it working. and this email never came. so i read the manual and archos website and tried to install the browser plug in and failed to instal it inspite of just following the explained procedure. when i checked the settings and cliked on firmware and plug ins option it would say firmware 1.7.06 but no plugins. but website would say i have bought the plugins. and clicking content portal and plugins and browser would again tell me browser plug in already installed. but when i tried browser it would ask me to buy browser and when tried to buy browser again it would not allow it says already bought browser. i was ready to hand it back in and ask for refund but it was 1am by then and so kept fiddling and then it worked. dont know what did it but it worked after connecting to computer downloading the software again and using usb to copy it to 605. but just to see if 605 was faulty i later bought the other 2 plug ins via the 605 just like the 1st purchase and they downloaded and installed instantly and work without any problems without the need for the computer download and later transfer to 605. by the way i did get the transaction confirmation for this purchase as well and like the 1st purchase it said will get another mail explaining how to download etc and even this mail never came just like 1st purchase. hope they get their act together soon. the whole hassle with the browser downlad pissed me off. but the other plug nd download just took a few seconds and didnt have problems with the purchase unlike earlier in same day. happy for now since atlast got it working but doesnt look like battery life is that great and thats without playing anything as havent yet loaded anything other than widgets and accessing a few of website on content portal and my yahoo mail. but new yahoo mail does not work with archos, it only works with the older version of yahoo. will check a few days and see battery life, if still poor then have had it for a life time with archos it is going back to the store for a refund and not a exchange this time. already had to exchange it once for a new one as it conked out in less than 2 minutes after switching on even after 12-15h charging on DVR !! blasted 3-4 days to get it started and ready to go. few more days to see if the archos experience gets better. i like the archos concept but it hasnt seemed to work for me till now. if it doesnt get better in a few days i will ask for a refund and say bye to arcos for good and buy a handheld samsung or sony. more money but hopefully less frustrating.

is there any hope of an antivirus plug in?? since i will be accessing my emails and browsing and using it for online purchasing for movies etc. if there is no antivirus option then might not be worth the risk of using credit card on archos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's Linux so it should be secure and unhackable. As long as the website where you are typing in your credit card info are encrypted using https.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:17 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Charbax wrote:
It's Linux so it should be secure and unhackable. As long as the website where you are typing in your credit card info are encrypted using https.

but how do i know the archos site is a secure site. while logging in to archos i cant see any 'lock' icon and neither could i seen the 'secure' icon when making the purchases via content portal. since archos site stores our personal details, address email address etc. just worried that i cant see the secure icon while logging on to the site.
thanks for letting me know linux is unhackable. does that mean that i can use yahoo and open emails and attachments without worrying about viruses and data theft? am not a techie so havent a clue about these things

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you sure that the Archos Opera browser doesn't show somekind of icon or an alert before loading the page that it is in fact on a secured SSL https connection? I think most places that take credit cards are by requirement with the credit card companies, using SSL https connections anyways. They'd simply not be allowed to take credit card payments if they were not using https.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:37 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Charbax wrote:
Are you sure that the Archos Opera browser doesn't show somekind of icon or an alert before loading the page that it is in fact on a secured SSL https connection? I think most places that take credit cards are by requirement with the credit card companies, using SSL https connections anyways. They'd simply not be allowed to take credit card payments if they were not using https.

just check this out yourself on your archos. i checked this again just now and i do not see any https or secure icon at all. and whats pissing me off more is that on the same page it will show my address etc that archos automatically transfer when trying to make a purchase. looks like a prime target for ID theft. i will delete all my details now at archos website. will be a costly mistake if i am right and i dont delete my details from their website.

i checked this now after seeing ur mail. i cliked content portal then cliked archos store then accessories then charge & connect then car charger then clicked buy then u get store website with product code then clicked next when u get sent to step 2 of the purchase process and this goes to a 'http' site and not a 'https' site and what pissed me off is that the same page automatically loads all my personal details address etc on to this http website !!!! going immediately to archos website and deleting all my details from their website till i have something concrete that assures me that their website stores personal information on a secure website and does not transfer the information to non secure website link like seems to be happening now.

how ever i can confirm that yesterday when making the plug ins purchase in the last step where credit card details etc are used it went to https link as i saw it briefly flash on screen before my screen went blank and i wasnt sure if transaction went through but later realised it had gone through.

same risk of ID fraud applies, if A605 gets stolen and thief then clicks on archos content portal and tries to buy any product and thief will automatically get my address and other details without the need for any sort of password etc. again a glaring security flaw. anyone who has ever registered their product with archos and their wifi 605 or 705 will have the same security risk if their archos gets stolen and the thief tries to buy on archos portal and will automatically get their hands on your address and other personal details stored on archos website to add insult and further loss to you after your archos gets stolen

from what i can see when i link my A605 wifi to internet. anyone working for archos please confirm this possible security flaw for me please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:07 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

just deleted my address etc from arcos website pending confirmation of this security flaw. but cant delete email address etc as it is a mandatory field

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK this is not really a bug, so you would like it so that personal contact details and credit card number be hidden perhaps by ** unless the user types in a password.

Though I would think this is the same with a Google account, if someone steals your laptop and click on the google account URL, they can see the users personal contact data, but usually the credit card number is hidden.

This is meant so that you can buy more stuff on the Archos Content Portal by just one click. If you later don't agree with the purchase being made intentionnally, I guess Archos should get an easy to use Interface saying stuff like "I did not want to buy that" that the user could click to get the money back if he clicked the one-click buy for a movie but didn't really mean to do it. Though Archos can see from the server log, if the user has downloaded the whole movie, then that user probably did watch it. And just as with the Google services, if the user logs on with another computer and changes the password, the authenticated sessions should automatically log off on that stolen laptop computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:46 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

thanks charbax. but just playing safe for now and deleted my address on the archos website. will only enter it again if need it for purchases. i wouldnt have minded if atleast parts of the address etc was masked.

also it still doesnt explain why when making the purchases in step 2 / 3 of the purchase our address etc gets automatically loaded on to http site instead of https website. my online banking website always brings these details etc only on https website. so archos needs to take the same precautions as well. obviously the credit card companies dealing with archos dont seem to know that only step 4 of the purchase process seems to be on https website and not the steps where address etc looks like is on http site. hope the credit card companies explore this potential security flaw on archos sales website which use these credit cards or the card companies will be stuck paying bills for unauthorised purchases when it is archos websites fault. that wont affect me but what will affect me is the months it takes to get your credit rating in order if affected by fraud and also takes a while to get money back from banks as can be seen from www.moneysavingexpert.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i have the 1.7.06 firmware and it almost always shuts down when i hit the content portal, it looks for wireless signals then just says 'shutting down' before it finds any, has this happened to anyone else?

edit: lmao nps my battery was just dying

Post subject: Re: 605 firmware bugs
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:10 am 
I am using the 605 160 gig, which worked fine until I upgraded the firmware to 1.07.06. A number of video issues have arises since the upgrade, all of which cause the unit to lock up and need to be re-set with a paper clip. When I tried to connect you tube via the portal and watch Lewish armstrong's wonderful world, it lokced up. I have trnasferred a number of vob files, all of which play on my windows xp pro desktop to find tht some play fine, and others cause the unit to lock up in the same way.
I have also found that since the upgrade some of the videos recorded with the docking station no longer play, the message I receive is cannot play video, please check. Other play as fine as before. I have also found that some of the docking station recorded items which I re-named before the upgrade needed to be renamed again. (The new name would show in properties, but not in the on screen listng).
Lastly, I cannot add channels to the EPG program display. Although the channel appears in the detup dialogue, I cannot get to the option (+) that adds it to the display list. This was also the case before the upgrade.
I upgraded to be able to use the widgets, but wish I had waited until these bugs were discovered and fixed..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jmdubin, did you try to clear your temporary and cache files using that feature in the settings?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:41 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

When trying to play a specific XViD video, it only plays the first 3 seconds or so of it when I play it on my archos. However, when I read from the archos the same file, on my computer, it plays the full length.

Additionally, when I try to play another XViD series, it reports video too large (i imagine it means the image size). The dimensions are 768x576. This is the only bunch of videos to give this error to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:30 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

BloodyIron wrote:
Additionally, when I try to play another XViD series, it reports video too large (i imagine it means the image size). The dimensions are 768x576. This is the only bunch of videos to give this error to me.

Max vid resolution on the archos is 720x576 so not a bug...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:37 am 
Archos User
Archos User

BloodyIron wrote:
When trying to play a specific XViD video, it only plays the first 3 seconds or so of it when I play it on my archos. However, when I read from the archos the same file, on my computer, it plays the full length.

Happened to me yesterday with Futurama movie I tried, have to check what encoding it is when I get home

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

auzieblogger wrote:
BloodyIron wrote:

Happened to me yesterday with Futurama movie I tried, have to check what encoding it is when I get home

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=3828

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 511 Next