Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:31 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 511 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:56 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

does it still work when you press them on the Archos itself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:19 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

SamY wrote:
ranceramos wrote:
On a side note, has anyone been able to use TVersity media server after the update? I wasn't able to do even see my UPnP tversity media server listed in the video app even when wifi was enabled (although it did identify a vista laptop on the network with file shares for some reason). I'm hoping this was due to the Parental control access and will try again today.

TVersity still works fine for me with the latest Archos firmware. However, the decrease in the 605's maximum usable streaming bandwidth that seems to have been introduced with this update has reduced TVersity's functionality a bit.

Interesting. Must be a configuration issue on my side, although nothing has really changed from my UPnP setup other than the fact that the server was not up for a week or so. I'll have to see what it is, thanks for the update (although it's a bummer to hear that it's not working as well....any chance its wifi related?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:00 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

ranceramos wrote:
Interesting. Must be a configuration issue on my side, although nothing has really changed from my UPnP setup other than the fact that the server was not up for a week or so. I'll have to see what it is, thanks for the update (although it's a bummer to hear that it's not working as well....any chance its wifi related?).

No. My 605 stutters and freezes on streamed media that my 604 Wifi handles with no problem. It looks like the 605 maxes out at under 2000 kbps whereas the 604 can handle double that easily. As an example, I have a high-quality 3 minute 720x400 .avi music video encoded with MPEG-4 video at 4015 kbps and MP3 audio at 192 kbps located on my server. The 604 streams it all the way through without a stutter or pause. On the 605, it begins stuttering and freezing at about 3 seconds in and continues that way until the end. In other words, it gets behind the bit stream early and stays that way. I wish I could try it with a 605 that has not been upgraded (infected?) with the latest firmware update so I could compare it. All I can say at this point is that I don't remember having this problem before upgrading. For now, I am specifying a maximum video bandwidth of 2000 kbps in my TVersity profiles.xml file and letting it transcode everything above 2000 kbps down to that level. So far, that is working but Archos needs to fix the 605 firmware so that it is AT LEAST as fast as the 604. Agreed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:33 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Device: 605 4GB
Function: Wifi Streaming
Bug: Screen shows "purple" coloured borders/jagged lines

How?
While streaming an avi, changing the video settings, (Gamma,brightness,contrast) frequently for about 10 seconds .....
the screen shows the above "purple" effect.
A simple power on -off .. resets the screen , and streaming works good , until you change settings again

Could be that my unit is faulty ? just received it 24 hrs ago
Anybody else can reproduce the same behaviour ?

Post subject: Streaming issues
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:16 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I used the 605 (4Gb) with previous firmware releases to stream large mpg files across my 802.11g network very nicely. I was, indeed, quite impressed by the performance, which has positively taken a huge hit in the 1.7.06 release. So it's not that the hardware can't handle it -- it's definitely a firmware problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:12 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Wow, until I get my TVersity working, I can't confirm this bug (though it seems to have been confirmed by a few already). What's odd is that the Windows Fileshare streaming still works like a charm for me. It's most likely a simple buffering bug on the archos itself, which can be fixed by a patch. The questions now are why was it broken in the first place and when do they plan to fix.....has anyone contacted Archos support about this?

Post subject: DVR remote
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:36 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I am new to the Archos, so the current firmware is the only version I have experience with. I have had difficulty with the remote - many key presses seem doubled - eg. if you press okay, the response from the unit will behave as if it were pressed twice in quick succession. This makes it very awkward to use. I have also found the cursor movement to bring up the cursor, but not move it.

Note: This now fixed in the current firmware.

Last edited by BlythS on Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

All my wmv files would not play even though they had done the day before.
Would get the error message: Cannot play file, please check.

I shut down the system, rebooted and then they worked again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

How do i delete a specific photo or a video. i cannot see any option here now... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:24 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

cheeks80 wrote:
How do i delete a specific photo or a video. i cannot see any option here now... :(

Probably the reason behind this is that the "Parental Control" Setting from the Home Screen is set to "Child (Restricted Access)". Try changing it back to Adult and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ranceramos wrote:
A605 160

Bug: Static is present when using headphones with wifi

Yup, hopefully this will be fixed by firmware.

Through normal TV-out on the DVR Station there is no static while streaming videos over WiFi, but there is some static on the headphones when using WiFi to download data.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:16 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

chuckman wrote:
All my wmv files would not play even though they had done the day before.
Would get the error message: Cannot play file, please check. I shut down the system, rebooted and then they worked again.

I've had the same problem with my mp3 files. Got the 'Cannot play file' error. However, if I tried to play the mp3 again most times it would play OK! But some mp3s played OK first time of trying...

I then tried doing an ArcLib, and a Remove Cache and Unused System files, with no improvement. A full reboot cured it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:10 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Charbax wrote:
ranceramos wrote:
A605 160

Through normal TV-out on the DVR Station there is no static while streaming videos over WiFi, but there is some static on the headphones when using WiFi to download data.

It is NOT possible to fix this in firmware. It is an artefact of the current hardware design.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I wonder why they left all these things out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

alpine wrote:
Charbax wrote:
ranceramos wrote:
A605 160

It is NOT possible to fix this in firmware. It is an artefact of the current hardware design.

Have you got definite confirmation by Archos that this is an unfixable hardware fault?

Perhaps only a specially shielded headphones jack adaptor would be the solution. Notice that if you put your hand over the headphones jack, the distortion kind of goes away.. And I guess this also goes away if you connect the headphones to the Mini or Battery Dock (which by the way also don't have a limited output volume).

Using the Archos FM remote control will probably also fix this problem if it is really a hardware issue: http://www.amazon.com/Archos-500984-ARC ... B000S6NPXA

Perhaps Archos can give us a promo code for it here in the forum once this FM remote control is released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:26 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

alpine wrote:
Charbax wrote:
ranceramos wrote:
A605 160

I'm not certain yet if it is a hardware fault (though I am leaning in that direction). However, a few facts seem to make me question this:

1. Sometimes when wearing the headphones, you can hear the static when the device is powering up after a complete shutdown. This is prior to activation of the wifi, so why is the noise present.

2. If you connect the headphones and then dock the A605 (with the headphones still in), the interference somehow gets passed through to the TV speakers which doesn't happen if you do the same exact thing without the headphones.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:23 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

605 4Gb
1.7.06 firmware

----

The 605's SPDIF output through the DVR Station does not work when connected to a wifi network. It works fine when wifi is not active. In fact, if I start playing a song with wifi active, I get no audio output until I go back to the main menu and disable wifi, at which point the audio comes on immediately. I tried it with my 604 Wifi and it works fine with wifi enabled or disabled, so this is hopefully a 605-specific firmware bug. I'm not sure if it worked prior to installing the 1.7.06 firmware, as I didn't try it until now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:35 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I just got off the phone with an Archos U.S. technical support rep. I reported the following 3 problems with the 605:

1. PDF files not displayed when clock is in 12-hr mode with firmare 1.7.06.
2. No SPDIF output from DVR station when Wifi mode is enabled.
3. Maximum bandwidth less than half that of the 604-wifi when streaming video over the network.

Regarding #1, I was happy to hear that they already had discovered it in-house and that it should be fixed in the next firmware release.

He was not aware of problem #2, but shared my optimism regarding a fix when I told him how easily reproducable it is. They have a lab at their facility (Denver?) and he will try to verify that it happens there. If so, it should be possible to resolve it via firmware (unless, of course, it is a hardware problem as some have hypothesized).

He will also try to reproduce problem #3. I told him that I have a 3-minute .avi encoded at 4015 kbps that streams flawlessly on my 604 wifi but begins stuttering and freezing after only a few seconds on my 605. I offered to send it to him so they could use it for testing. He said they will be setting up an FPT site next week for customers to upload problem documentation and he would email me with the info when the site is up and running.

Altogether, he was very professional and seemed genuinely interested in identifying and resolving the problems. Time will tell if they share his enthusiasm back at Igny (Archos HQ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Has any one had problems streaming from sites like joox and even you tube ? Every time i try and stream it will come up with a error. Is this a problem with new firmware because i have had no problems before i did the new update !! :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joox works awesome, you just have to locate the Download link, you can even fast forward or jump any place in the video, which is amazing, that is something that you cannot do with the DivX Web Player on a computer. Though it might be it does crash if you try to jump in the video a second time, perhaps a part of the video is being stored in the temporary memory and jumping a second time in the video seems to break it, but you can restart the stream and jump to the correct spot then.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 511 Next