Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:30 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: 605 firmware bugs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

firmware 2.1.04
when i press "enable wifi" i get the error so i can't even see the wifi settings
tried the pin reset several times

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

When i want to watch photo's the 605 wifi 160 gb reboots. I deleted all the files and put them on again the same happens. I formatted the drive. Put the photo's back on and again the 605 reboots.
I use winxp sp3 and on the 605 i use usb port (pc harddisk) I update the arc library manual. but that
does not help. I have the latest version 2.1.0.4. Can somebody help me ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This is a reeli good thread, Im getting my 605 soon, but when i do, and if i experience a bug ill post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:03 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

605 WiFi
Firmware 2.1.04

Annoying TV Program Guide Nag Message.

Every time the Recorder is invoked, the message, "Your subscription will expire in XX days," appears. The message requires attention, i.e. you must click "OK" to dismiss the alert, and like many other Archos features, it invariably leads to additional user fatigue, loss of privacy, and monetary expense. Within the Windows XP application, ArchosLink, I reconfigured the Podcast Subscription, "TV Program Guide update", to set the "EPG Options" to "One day before", and then used the USB synchronization to update the Recorder. However, the nag alert was re-enabled upon eventual (typically, I experience days, weeks, and months of EPG failures) wireless Update of the Recorder TV Program Guide.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:10 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

p1ppo wrote:
When i want to watch photo's the 605 wifi 160 gb reboots. I deleted all the files and put them on again the same happens. I formatted the drive. Put the photo's back on and again the 605 reboots.
I use winxp sp3 and on the 605 i use usb port (pc harddisk) I update the arc library manual. but that
does not help. I have the latest version 2.1.0.4. Can somebody help me ?

Not sure if you have a bug or not....

But if you can verify that the crash occurs at a particular file or files and duplicate the problem of reboots, then it could be a file corruption or maybe an incompatible format that will not let the archos view it, hence the crashes.

Test via trial and error; examine the file properties.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:07 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

does anyone here know how to write a script that will enable the installation of Linux
on ÔÇ£Archos 605 wifiÔÇØ device?

I was told by Archos Tech support that they wonÔÇÖt creating anymore updates for the Archos 605 not even the flash update.
He went on to saying that I could write a script that would allow for me to install a Linux OS on the device.
So I ask if they could do it he says no.

So can anyone help me as the flash that I have on the device is flash 9 and most websites I visit are using flash 10 so guys help to change the OS to one that will updates or the latest technology.

using firmware 2.1.04

contact me at: Nathernell@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi All,
I have a question about Archos 605 WiFi (2.1.0.4 - Firmware / 4G Flash Model). Does this firmware or the device have a problem with playing a video file which is longer than 50 mins. The encoding using the video file is the same as the demo files such as using MP3 encoding for audio and for video I have tried MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 and neither one works. So if someone can assist me in solving this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

:arrow: *** Thank you in advance ***

Regards,
0_0.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:47 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
0_0 wrote:
Hi All,
I have a question about Archos 605 WiFi (2.1.0.4 - Firmware / 4G Flash Model). Does this firmware or the device have a problem with playing a video file which is longer than 50 mins. The encoding using the video file is the same as the demo files such as using MP3 encoding for audio and for video I have tried MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 and neither one works. So if someone can assist me in solving this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

:arrow: *** Thank you in advance ***

Regards,
0_0.

I don't know enough to be any help, but I am using the same firmware, and have no problem playing files longer than 50 minutes, whether on the Archos itself, or streaming from my laptop. Both of mine are the 30GB version, but I don't think that should make a difference.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:38 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi Union,
The file its ripped from a DVD to a VOB and converted to AVI (MPEG2/MP3). It plays perfectly in a VLC / Microsoft Media Player without any errors or glitches from the first till the last credits screen and when I push it to the archos 605 wifi using a usb cable it goes thru ok and then later when I select it prior to playing it shows that its length is 2'22"23 and then before the picture appears on the screen the length changes from 2'22"23 to 0'49"59... this is the part I don't understand. I have tried to play the movie using the internal space and putting it on a chip also it s the same the movie does not have any difference and also I have tried encoding it differently AVI (MPEG4/MP3) and only thing which was a difference is the file size.

0_0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have been having huge issues with my 605 wifi. Firmware version 2.1.04. It is a 160GB hard drive, and after having to have it repaired with the assistance of Archos online, and reload all of my video files, it no longer loads properly after about 80GB. It is just over 2 yrs old. The probems started just after the first year I had it.

It used to work properly, until this firmware upgrade, then some files would not play properly, had to be deleted & reloaded, then it dumped all of my files.

I also had it sent away to be repaired, but the problem isn`t evident until you reach the 80GB level, so it was returned with a few files on it to prove that the recording was working(however the storage problem was not fixed).

They are all the same files that I had been previously using, now as you reach the 80GB level, the hard drive locks up and requires a hard restart, and I have to delete those files so that my folders work. Sometimes they actually load, sometimes not. After 80GB, they don`t seem to at all.

It doesn`t matter which order or folder of files I start with, it always stops at about 80GB, so I know it is not corrupt fies....it is a hard drive issue. At this point, my files have been all dumped several times over.

It also does not record properly at this point, and locks up in both instances. It stores Arc files from videos that I have removed after updating my Arc.I have manually removed them in Hard Drive mode on my PC.

When it was completely reformatted the last time, It read that I have 152.3GB free space...is that normal for a 160 drive? I do have 3 plug-ins Cinema, Video Podcast & Web Browser.

What are the normal files stored in the Program files of the hard drive?
I`d like to check them to see if I may have a bad file that shouldn`t be in there, because it seems to not update the Arc properly all of the time, even when I manually do it in Hard Drive mode.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:30 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

niniannebast wrote:
I have been having huge issues with my 605 wifi. Firmware version 2.1.04.

I have the same firmware and model. For nearly 3 years, I have had it with very few problems with having to reset it every once in a while -- never have had to format my drive.

Quote:
It doesn`t matter which order or folder of files I start with, it always stops at about 80GB, so I know it is not corrupt fies....it is a hard drive issue. At this point, my files have been all dumped several times over. It also does not record properly at this point, and locks up in both instances. It stores Arc files from videos that I have removed after updating my Arc.I have manually removed them in Hard Drive mode on my PC.

Strange that you have this trouble when you exceed the 80 gb. Have you tried using chkdsk in windows? Have you checked the music tags on your files with a program such as MediaMonkey?

Quote:
When it was completely reformatted the last time, It read that I have 152.3GB free space...is that normal for a 160 drive? I do have 3 plug-ins Cinema, Video Podcast & Web Browser.

This is expected; once the system files are loaded on the device, you don't usually get the full disk space on a formatted drive, due to hidden partion space and normal system file storage that takes up space. Also, the drive usually has a finite,total size in bytes, with is usually expressed as an "approximate" size in Gb's.

Quote:
What are the normal files stored in the Program files of the hard drive?
I`d like to check them to see if I may have a bad file that shouldn`t be in there, because it seems to not update the Arc properly all of the time, even when I manually do it in Hard Drive mode.

The Archos doesn't use directories like Wndow's "program files". As I understand it, after you flash the Archos with the firmware update, probably done right after you had formatted your device, the system files are copied over, along with some basic directories. You would then need to download the missing stuff (such as wallpapers, pdf info files...) from the Archos website.

Is it possible the reformat and/or firmware update did not complete properly?