Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:04 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:47 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

i have a 160, and its full.. ive been looking into bigger drives, so i hope something pans out with this.

anything i can do to help , let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Garmac wrote:
kurosan, where did you get that linux image? Was it made from your 40Gb drive? If that's the case, what if we make the same kind of image but from a Archos that had 160 Gb drive, could someone with a 80gb download the image, place it on a new 160Gb drive and get it to work on his archos?

Yes it's from my 40GB drive. I think that with the method explained and images from different size disks replacing is possible...
But I'd suggest to make avaiable images only from devices without plugins: this way no damage to Archos from people looking for an easy way to obtain them for free.
A repository with different images (30, 40, 80, 120, 160) would be really nice from the time being... until someone more clever than me finds a way to hack the device 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:42 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

kurosan wrote:
But I'd suggest to make avaiable images only from devices without plugins: this way no damage to Archos from people looking for an easy way to obtain them for free.

I doubt that is possible anyways. The encrypted key file you buy to activate the plug-ins (that are already installed) is generated by using the product key and serial number unique to each unit embedded in the firmware. It would be great if I was wrong though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

jh1 wrote:
I doubt that is possible anyways. The encrypted key file you buy to activate the plug-ins (that are already installed) is generated by using the product key and serial number unique to each unit embedded in the firmware. It would be great if I was wrong though...

Yeah, I think you're right... and thinking about it, maybe there will be more problems: what if the boot process checks product key and serial number against some file in the cramfs? Just speculating here but if someone can provide me a 40GB or a 120GB image i can check this: if it boots each unit is not hard-coupled with a drive, but only checks the avaiable space as specified on the filesystem generation process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:34 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Kurosan, can you give some instruction in order to make an image of the hidden partition? I'd like to try with my 80Gb. I assume you need linux to do that

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:53 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Can someone try cloning a plugin'ed disk image and putting it on a different 605, just to see if it works?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:00 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

To change a disc it necesary to do a disc clone, not just a partition copy or clone. Use paragon partition manager and do a DISC clone, NOT a partition clone. It's the only way to cheat the machine and think it is the same disc. It works for me all the time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Does anyone has a 160 Gb 605 and could create an image of the hidden linux image?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:14 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

kurosan wrote:
From my tests you can replace the drive with one of the same size:

I've tried this with another 40GB like the original drive and with a 120GB one that is recognized correctly, but lock you to the original drive size.

If you want to try out yourself:

1) download the hidden linux image --> http://www.2xupload.to/file/589d330a982 ... g.bz2.html
2) strip out the first 512 bytes --> dd if=after_data_partition.img of=hidden_linux_partition.img bs=512 skip=1
3) Make one big FAT32 primary partition on the new drive leaving the last 25 cylinders free
4) Format the new partition and copy contests of the data partition from the original disk
5) Copy the linux hidden partition to the new disk starting with the first free block --> dd if=hidden_linux_partition.img of=/dev/xxx seek=n (where xxx is the drive as view by the linux machine and n is the 1st block after data partition)

Quote:
and n is the 1st block after data partition

How to find what this n equals to? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

alex wrote:
How to find what this n equals to? :?

If you have followed my steps you already have a working FAT32 partition and 25 free blocks. Now do:

fdisk -l

and looking at the output relative to the new disk you'll see:

Blocks:
number

the correct "n" to use in the dd command is the previous "number"+1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Garmac wrote:
Kurosan, can you give some instruction in order to make an image of the hidden partition? I'd like to try with my 80Gb. I assume you need linux to do that

Thanks!

First thing: you need an usb enclosure or a 2.5''->3.5" adapter.

1) From shell: fdisk -l
In the output relative to your archos original disk you'll see the lenght of the FAT32 Data partition in blocks. Write down this number.
2) dd if /dev/xxx skip=n of=hidden.img (where xxx is you disk and n the previous number)
3) try mounting it: mount -t ext3 hidden.img /where/you/want
4) if it doesn't mount strip out the first 512bytes:
dd if=hidden.img of=good_image.img bs=512 skip=1
Now the new image should mount properly.
5) compress and upload it somewhere so i can test it on my unit ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:01 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I will do that, thank you sir...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:07 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Kurosan,

I am having some problems.

When I do the fdisk -l, this is what I get

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 9704 77947348+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

I assume that the n number in your instructions is 77947348

I then do the command

dd if=/dev/sda1 skip=77947348 of=hidden.img

But then it takes a very long time and I did stop the process since the hidden.img was already more than 8 Gb. Anything that I am missing or doing wrong? I thought the image was going to be very small...

Please advise

Thanks a lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Is it possible to use a harddrive from an archos av400? I got had an av400 which I dropped and never tunred on again, so I took the harddrive out which I still have today. How can I get my stuff transfered to the 605??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I found a software that I think can do the same as the linux dd command but for windows. It's called Winhex and it is a forensnic software. I am not too familair with it but you can copy raw data from a disk. I can go through the sectors and see that arclib database and even read some of the data. I am hopping I could use that to make the image as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:26 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

my 160GB with every plugin and the newest newest widgets firmware has died. the harddrive is dying. so now im going to be looking into replacing it. i will try larger harddrives and let everyone know how that works out

im looking at this one

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2676

it has the same specs as oem, with more storage space. im also wondering about swapping in a 7200RPM.. but that may kill battery life faster.. if it even takes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Garmac wrote:
Kurosan,

When I do the fdisk -l, this is what I get

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 9704 77947348+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)!

It's my fault... never write a dd command half-asleep ;)
The block number received by fdisk must be multiplied by 16065.
So in your case the final command should be

dd if=/dev/sda skip=1252224145620 of=hidden.img

Notice the use of the entire drive (sda) and not the first partition (sda1)

Let me now if all goes smooth.
Bye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the update. I will try that tonight...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

keithacole wrote:
my 160GB with every plugin and the newest newest widgets firmware has died. the harddrive is dying. so now im going to be looking into replacing it. i will try larger harddrives and let everyone know how that works out

im looking at this one

it has the same specs as oem, with more storage space. im also wondering about swapping in a 7200RPM.. but that may kill battery life faster.. if it even takes

Don't, this is a SATA drive and it will never work in the Archos. Without a good drive to make an image of, you will probably need to go though Archos to get a new drive...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:28 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Garmac wrote:
keithacole wrote:

im looking at this one

Don't, this is a SATA drive and it will never work in the Archos. Without a good drive to make an image of, you will probably need to go though Archos to get a new drive...

my drive is still good(as of today, but it will probably die 100% real soon), i can still use the archos, but i have stopped because i know that i may need to make an image of it .

yea, i first thought the oem was sata, now looking back at the first post its ata/100 ide/eide

there are alot of drives with that setup at 250gb, it wont hurt to try. im gonna go local so i can return them when they dont work