Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:43 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 381 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 20 Next

Are You Happy With Your 605?
Yes 69%  69%  [ 540 ]
No 17%  17%  [ 132 ]
Undecided 14%  14%  [ 109 ]
Total votes: 781
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

No, it's been useless. I've had to send back for repair 3 times, this time France want £93 to rplace the hard drive, not sure I want to pay anymore. Anyone want to buy a dvr station, hardly used, £50?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:37 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yes, I am very happy with my 4GB. Battery finally needed replacing and I did it myself with no trouble.
I have had no real issues with it apart from browsing being slow. I have built up quite a collection of 16GB SDHC cards and find the ruggedness of not having a delicate hard drive comforting.
I have had the operating system getting corrupted once caused by dodgy media files but was easily able to correct the issue with checkdisk from the desktop computer. I don't think that it is fair to assume that should never have any problems. How many have owned a computer that has never given any trouble? Not many is my guess.

Having said that I am not happy with Archos charging to use their browser, especially considering that it is already installed and you pay just to activate, but I do understand the reasons for locking the system down, can you imagine the problems if there was a free for all and junky programs were being installed left right and centre?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:30 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I've just contacted the extended warranty folks to arrange for the SIXTH TIME IN A YEAR AND A HALF that I've had to send my A605 160GB in to be looked at because it crashes constantly (and updates the ARC library about half the time, which takes forever and kills the battery). This is the third unit I've had - it's been replaced twice - and each one is just as buggy as the others.

Add to that the fact that Archos won't give me an updated version of the plugins I purchased (so that they'd work on the replacement one) and I'm even less happy.

The extended-warranty folks are going to assess the situation; I am probably eligible for a 'lemon' buyout which would refund my purchase price. At which point I'll look to see if Creative has a large-format music player on or near the market - I'd rather support them, as their customer service and products are actually good values. If the Ipod is the only option that would hold all of my music, well, I'll go with an Ipod.

So anyway, I guess that would count as a "No, I am really really not happy with my 605, because it's literally been in the shop a third of the time since I bought it."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Its better then I though, screen is unimaginably good, yes it could be brighter but i dont plan on watching The Dark Knight in the desert. I think anyone who has an Archos product has probably done research on it instead of getting an ipod and are happy with it because they knew what they were going to get, I know I was, hoping to get Archos 5 or the IT someday :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
Bought a 30GB refurbed 605 from newegg for 80 bucks a month or two ago. Has performed flawlessly for me so far. I like it so much, I just purchased another 30GB brand new from TigerDirect. I actually like these better than my 250GB Archos 5, in many ways. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After 2 years, a couple drops, backing up all my photos from my home pc(only to have it crash twice) One battery placement a couple dents....I can still say this thing(605 160gig) is a fantastic little machine.

I've never purchased any upgrades for it, and the content portal works...sporadically....wether the clock is set or not.

but over all...still an 8/10.

i watched LOST on it last night...just great.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:05 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Works just like I expected it to work, upgraded but was able to hack with GFT 3 thanks to multiple users. Screen is beautiful thinking about whether to get archos IMT or wait for the new generation to come out

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Worked great for almost two years and is now f*cking up with all the bugs and errors many have reported.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:50 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

first one through its hand in after one month and was replaced under guarantee, the replacement lasted one year and one week archos will not answer a question on how i go about haveing it fixed in short the answer was "out of guarantee,not interested, your problem." and finding someone to repair them is impossable. so after 14 months two 605s lots of emails and at a cost of about £10 a month the answer to your question is "NO"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:22 am 
Archos User
Archos User

hey all

bought the 4gb version a couple of weeks ago from ebay, and i must say im very pleased. sure its a little tempremental - i replaced the battery with the extended version, and can get 8hrs continuous video no problem. id say the only prob i have is that after a full charge the battery indicator only shows 5 bars rather than 6 - this doesnt seem to affect the battery life though. maybe after some weeks conditioning of the battery it might resolve, but even if not - its not really a big deal. youll not find a media device which plays vids as well as this, trust me if tried em all lol oh and for those who say the audio is weak - buy a pair of £20 bass enhancing sennheiser headfones - awesome sound. any player will sound bad with poor phones. so yeah - love it big time

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:50 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I had been enjoying using my 605 in its dvr station the evening before. The next day, while it was still in the docking station, I pressed the on button. The backlight failed to come on. Naturally I fiddled with it a bit, and I could see that the backlight was actually on, but the lcd panel was entirely black and would not let the light through. The image on my TV was completely normal however. When I turned the unit on and off a few times it would briefly flash a completely normal screen, but then go black again.

Since it was still under warranty I returned it to Archos Service in the US. Weeks later it still didn't show up on their website, so I called. They had received it but had not posted its arrival.

I was then astonished to hear them tell me that "the screen is cracked," which is not covered under warranty. I KNOW the screen was not cracked, never was cracked, and couldn't have been cracked, and still wasn't cracked after I got it back. They returned it unrepaired.

I played with it again and the screen came on, completely normal (no cracks), then went black again. This happened a few times ... now it stays black and I can't get it to come on again. It still works normally on the TV ... but I can't see the display on the unit itself.

Plain and simple, Archos Service lied. Either that, they didn't even look at it, couldn't be bothered fixing it, or who knows what. But it was an amazingly unprofessional and dishonest experience and I vowed to never again buy any other Archos product. Stay away from this dishonest company.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:52 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i was not happy when i tried to get the plug in for the internet and couldnt get through,and the way the operating system automaticaly tries to connect to the internet even when theres no wifi and turns on byitself and ruin my battery, it happened so many times that im furious at archos for doing that to spy maybe on their customers? why does it have to turn on and scan for a internet connection for? like 3 times i found my 605 hot and drained with no power cause of the unit turning on by itself ...and you think archos gives a crap about draining your battery then not replacing it when you tell them the problem? they give a shit...so fuck archos

and yes i did turn off the settings for internet and still it does turn on byitself

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm not happy. I got the 102 error yesterday...the HDD is dead. The battery was replaced about a year ago. I have had the the 160 for almost three years. I did not use it very much. The wifi was sooo slow. The videos that I downloaded did play well. I'm not going to put anymore money into this device, nor will I ever purchase another Archos device.....It will make a nice paperweight.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:05 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

It's been a few years and I still love my lil Archos :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:42 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

No way!!

Screen has browned out and now it won't work at all. The battery voltage is 4v so it isn't that. The software was unreliable and slow. Once I had 10,000 songs in it it started to crash. Then the library would break. Not a good product. Don't buy from Archos, the quality isn't there.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:33 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've had my 605wifi 160 for 4 years since it was first a TSV on QVC. Overall I'd say I've been fairly pleased with it. I've obviously had the normal battery issues by leaving it on the dock too long, but thanks to Huestones, it was changed OK. However, now it is nearly full and the thing does lock up time and again and is very slow to react on the buttons.
I was watching QVC last weekend and saw the 500gb Archos 48 on a TSV. I thought I'd give it a go. Yes, it was cheaper than I'd pay for a couple of other products, but I wasn't expecting it to be as bad as I have found. The screen is nice but have had to recalibrate a couple of times, it loses wifi signal more than the 605 ever did and it just has a 5 channel graphic equalizer with NO bass boost. I tested the sound on an identical streamed piece of music at 320kbps with my Shure SE530 in ear earbuds, and can honestly say that the sound from the 605 is far superior to the 48's. I therefore think I shall be sending the 48 back and struggle on with my trusty old 605 for a bit longer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

NO. Disk drive died over a year ago. Too costly to fix. Purchased an ipod and Apple TV instead. ipod has a smaller screen but is a much nicer product. Will never buy another Archos product.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have been a loyal and avid Archos lover ever since I got my first AV320 when they first came out, it cost me over $ 600.00 at best buy, I have had 5 AV320's and currently own 3 Archos products, including the most disappointing of all, the 605 WIFI.
I did research the 605 WIFI, even spoke with others that had one. But nothing could prepare me for the crushing let down after traveling all the way to Texas to get a brand new 605 WIFI 30 GB, "still in the box".
To start with, it is after all call the 605 "WIFI", and yet is absolutely useless as a WIFI device, unless you spend a whopping $ 30.00 on the web browser plugin. 605 "WIFI" implies that it is WIFI ready right out of the box. You can not even use any of the hacks or mods unless the web browser is installed. Then there is the dismal charge time, nearly 16 hours, on a wall charger, right out of the box. Even right now, after a full charge last night, blinking green and all, with NO USE, just put it away last night at midnight and pluged it back in at 1400 this afternoon and still not charged. Next there is the whole thing with Archos coding the circuit boards with the hard drive serial numbers so that even a 15 year computer tech can not change the hard drive in HIS OWN PROPERTY, " WAY TO GO APPLE, I mean Archos". And yes I too have a low volume issue, not as bad as others seem to be having, but no where near the level and quality that has been an ICON of Archos quality in years past.
As a computer tech and an avid Archos lover I have HIGHLY recommended "ANY" Archos product over Apple or any other media player or tablet, BUT, as they say " ALL GOOD THINGS MUST COME TO AN END ", and Archos seems to be hell bent on proving that. I have seen the quality, functionality and features of Archos Products continue to decline, steadily, perhaps even on purpose. These are the kind of things that Apple does to control what we can do with and how we can use OUR OWN PROPERTY, like after paying over $ 600.00 for an Ipad, you cant even use it until you connect it to a computer with itunes, great, now I have to install itunes, let it screw up all of my music, activate the ipad, uninstall itunes, and the spend the week straightening out all of my music. I know, I know, there are other ways to accomplish this, the point being, The Archos slogan is, and I quote, " entertainment YOUR way ", and then they pull a double Apple stunt by FORCING me to register MY PROPERTY and then CHARGING ME an extra $ 30.00 before I can even use it for it's ADVERTISED PURPOSE, again way to go APPLE, I MEAN ARCHOS.
To sum things up in MY OPINION, my 10 year old AV320 is still the best Archos that I have ever had, I truly love my Archos 7 home tablet, but the lack of OS upgrade options is disappointing, however the hacks, mods and free apps at apkshare.com more than make up for that. The 605 however, on a scale of 1 to 5, I just can not give it more than a 3. It looks nice, great size, great screen, button layout is good, user replaceable battery is nice, but the hard drive coding and charging for the web browser sucks, that is a sleazy move that until now only Apple would pull.
One other thing, another sleazy move by Archos like this, and I will just have to scour the planet for more AV320's, or dare I think it, get an ipod, at least there are some good mods for the ipod, and I see that even Apple is going to allow third party apps.
OK, I am done venting my frustration.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:41 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
CJW293 wrote:
...but the hard drive coding and charging for the web browser sucks, that is a sleazy move that until now only Apple would pull...

FWIW, the 605 became available on September 1st of 2007. So "until now" has been going on for almost 4 and a half years. :)

But I can understand your frustration. :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:30 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am very very happy with my Archos 604-160GB. Its great. Its my very familiar and its very comfortable.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 381 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 20 Next