Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:38 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 381 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 20 Next

Are You Happy With Your 605?
Yes 69%  69%  [ 540 ]
No 17%  17%  [ 132 ]
Undecided 14%  14%  [ 109 ]
Total votes: 781
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:49 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

conan78 wrote:
After 5 days of being an archos 605 owner I must say I am really disappointed buying this. At the first day I had problems with the screen every time I was working with the touch option. After installing the latest filmware and using mostly the buttons I had less problems but still the screen froze when I touched the screen for some times. Then I noticed the really crappy battery life. What kind of gadget needs 6-7 hours of charging and after 2 hours working maximum it needs to be charged again??? That was not the only issues I had though. I had almost all the small issues I read in the forum for the last days as I was trying to find solutions every time something occurred. And that was not its final word. From last night when I turn it on it says system failure code 102. After doing all 3 options (no, repair, format) it pops up the same issue but with code 104 and none of the options works (no, repair, format). Afterwards it says connect to ur pc to install an update. WHAT UPDATE??? AND HOW???
Jeez I just bought the damn thing and nothing works ok. What a waste of money after all. Oh and I was really stupid enough not to believe that could happen to me since there is a WHOLE FORUM JUST FOR PROBLEMS OF ARCHOS (no offence to the forum which is really helpful) but I think we deserve to be treated better from companies like archos.
WHY DO THEY EVEN THINK TO SELL PRODUCTS WITH A LOT OF BUGS, ISSUES AND SO POOR BATTERY LIFE???
I dont care about my money spending so much but when someone is violating my consumer rights it makes me furious. Archos will definitely hear from me

Your 605 sounds broken. If you bought it new, I should definitely ask for a replacement, or a refund. I have two 605s and neither behave like this. Battery life isn't marvellous, but it's usually long enough for a couple of movies. They charge from a dock in about two hours. I don't get crashes or other glitches.

Might just be luck, but it sounds to me as if you got one that was built on Friday afternoon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

some of the Archos errors can be easily fixed by Norton Utilities if u connect the devbice to the pc in the HD mode. Worked for me at least 4 times. Incidentally, when i described me probs to the arcos technical support ppl their only suggestion was that the Archos had to be RMAed. Sometimes the solutions can be quite straightforward! ;) Otherwise, I'm quite happy with me Archos, using it mainly as a video player, web radio and web tv.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

conan78
Just wanted to say nothing wrong with your English. Unlike a lot of posts I read from people who clearly have English as a first language and still can't proofread or use proper punctuation, grammar or even form complete sentences. After all spell check picked up 3-4 spelling/typing errors for me in this short post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:55 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

whether your happy or not, gen5 is redundant as it's no longer listed on their website :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:15 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

DeBar wrote:
conan78
Just wanted to say nothing wrong with your English. Unlike a lot of posts I read from people who clearly have English as a first language and still can't proofread or use proper punctuation, grammar or even form complete sentences. After all spell check picked up 3-4 spelling/typing errors for me in this short post.

Sadly, it didn't spot the fact that your first sentence didn't contain a verb, and your second didn't have a verb in its primary clause. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Being happy with my Archos that has no fully available browser? [-X
How's that possible?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:50 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Im realy happy! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:26 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

kb wrote:
DeBar wrote:
conan78

Sadly, it didn't spot the fact that your first sentence didn't contain a verb, and your second didn't have a verb in its primary clause. ;)

Do you even know what a verb is? Stop trying to be clever and learn some basic grammar.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:29 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I would have gone for "Yes" if it was more hackable. Stupid logic told me "it runs linux, its already a hack". WRONG. Do research before buying! Its just another locked down proprietary piece of shit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Have owned this only couple of days (30Gb).
For 150Ôé¼ it┬┤s pretty good choice.
So yes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

For the most part.
Rarely have I encountered any issues, other than formatting or lack of software. I currrently have no extra stuff purchased for my Archos.

The only 'Problem' I have is that I live in Ontario, and the content portal and any kind of internet access without the browser has been cut off for over a year now. Oh it hooks up to my home network just fine and streams from my PC. But no content portal, and I can't even purchase the browser when i choose the internet. I get a message stating that the Content Portal Clock is unavailable and to try from a different location.

I've never updated the firmware either. Been about 2 years now on that..so that might be an issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:16 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Spidey wrote:
For the most part.
Rarely have I encountered any issues, other than formatting or lack of software. I currrently have no extra stuff purchased for my Archos.

The only 'Problem' I have is that I live in Ontario, and the content portal and any kind of internet access without the browser has been cut off for over a year now. Oh it hooks up to my home network just fine and streams from my PC. But no content portal, and I can't even purchase the browser when i choose the internet. I get a message stating that the Content Portal Clock is unavailable and to try from a different location.

I've never updated the firmware either. Been about 2 years now on that..so that might be an issue.

Hello Spidey
Well that is really weird that Content Portal is out for you because these things are sold worldwide so it shouldn't matter where you are. If you already purchased your browser plugin (through a PC's internet connection, like I did) then you should try clearing your cache and temp files, then retry it again. I am using the latest firmware and my Content Portal works fine.

Wow --- That is rare! I think there are very few pople that don't ever upgrade their firmware. Except of course the Moderators and Administrators here. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Stupid me, I reset the clock. Works fine-ish. It hooks up to the portal now, but claims all the streams are damaged and can't play them.

Firmware was 2.1.0.4 or something like that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:04 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Spidey wrote:
Stupid me, I reset the clock. Works fine-ish. It hooks up to the portal now, but claims all the streams are damaged and can't play them.

Firmware was 2.1.0.4 or something like that.

Regarding the unplayable streams: This is a common occurence for me from time to time.

I have been using Playon media server with minimal problems streaming until about a week ago when Hulu stopped working on it. This Hulu outage (as reported by the playon administrator) is being worked on with diligence.

Meanwhile I continue to view streams with the Crackle plugin (among others), until they can get HULU up and running again with PlayOn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Crikey...must be bad luck, but I've had no end of probs with my 605 20gb machine. I'm on my second unit an 2nd repair under warranty!

When it works it's great !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

im not a happy person with my 605
video play back i ve tryed everything i can think of
i ve recorded of the tv put films on from my pc
the picture is fine but then the sound plays up it likes echos but if i pause it plays fine
for a min or 2 then it happens all over again so not pleased at all
i only wanted 1 so i put films on and musc videos but like i say they dont work right
and it does my head in it nearly went in the bin at one point so now i dont use it
its in the box in the back of the cupborad :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I really like mine too however I think its a joke that the big bosses up there in Archos are making people buy the software that they should have supplyed with the product in the first place. I want to start a revolution...! anyway....whats the story with cracks for the plug-ins. it seems like a lost cause yet i refuse to buy the plug-ins...!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Got a 30GB loved it, but don't like Archos way of grouching $$ for plug-ins

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Bought a 605 WiFi 160 GB last summer used for $170 with the battery dock (a bargain by my estimation).

When this thing works, it's unstoppable and untouchable. I have had countless charging issues though. I have posted here before and posters have been wonderful but the performance issues are so damn inconsistent.

About 2/3 of the time, my Archos will charge to a full battery and either blink or not blink after hours of the battery indicator 'being full'. The other 1/3 of the time, it charges to 1/2 full on the battery indicator, then I check a couple of hours later (while it's still charging and on standby) and it is down to the one thin dark blue bar!! It is supposed to go up, not down!

My solution .. use it until the battery is hosed and then ship it to the UK when I need to.

As my backup, I have had a Palm TX for years ... now that is reliable. I have had no problems with it. Of course we are talking apples and oranges here (the Archos has a slightly bigger screen and more colours) but the Palm TX is NO SLOUCH with TCPMP (freeware media player) and conversion software (unfortunate extra step with the Palm) but it runs for hours and hours too.

So when the 605 works, it's unstoppable ... problems being support and a very buggy device. I swear that the battery/batter indicator is possessed and REALLY estimates the level of the battery with some awful programming/drivers.

My two cents.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:20 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women
Got my 30GB refurb about a week ago. Love it so far. For 80 bucks, I certainly can't complain. :)

In a way, I like it better than my 250GB Archos 5.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 381 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 20 Next