Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:11 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 381 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19 20 Next

Are You Happy With Your 605?
Yes 69%  69%  [ 540 ]
No 17%  17%  [ 132 ]
Undecided 14%  14%  [ 109 ]
Total votes: 781
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:57 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

meeeee soooooooooo happppppppyyyyyyyyyyyyy =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:25 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well, Hulu is working fine for me, so I am ok with that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:20 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Wow really? Sweet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am happy with my Archos over all, even though battery life is an issue for me and now I'm trying to get someone from tech support to guide me through the process of getting a battery replacement. Once I get a new battery I'm going to do all the research I can on extending battery life because trying to replace it is not fun. But the product itself is very good and I would still recommend it even for all of its faults.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just got it last week from FS on sale for $149 Cdn, can't beat that price, almost the price of a mp3 player. Been eyeing the Archos for awhile and couldn't resist the price. So far so good, only negative was to have to buy plugins for a player that should be supporting these formats as a standard. But, for this price I don't mind, if I paid full price when it first came out, it would have been another story. Only thing I carry with me on trips now, my Blackberry, Ipod Touch & Archos. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Got the 30g (605s) off ebay for $100 and although it is in rough shape, but am pleased I got the device. A very neat gadget indeed. I was contemplating between this or the Nokia internet tablet (n800), but choose the 605 due to the smaller size and GPS. I personally think stand alone GPS units are a dying breed (honestly how often do you really uses it?). Still playing around with it, love the whole opera widget thing, although do wish there are more or at least fully functional with the desktop's opera widgets. Still trying to fix the gps issue, but am loving the device at the moment.

2 grips I have on the device so far, battery life and heat generation. It might because the device I got is used, but the battery indicator shows only 1 bar left after roughly 7.5hours of continues music play back. The specification from Archos claims it has 17.7 hours of audio play back. Might have to do a battery replacement at the end of this year (does ebay seller trustable for this kind of stuff?). Although there were posts which say depends on how the device was used, the indicator might not be accurate and might need to be recalibarated.

The device gets quite hot when surfing the net or playing flash games. Maybe it's because the screen is on the whole time? Haven't try watching a movie on it...

The design is a bit dated and it's a bit on the big side. It fits into your back pocket, defintely not as pocketable as the ipod touch. I do wish there are decal for it, like I did to my Wii.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:24 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The hard drive on mine just died. And it seems like Archos has made replacing it is difficult/impossible. So, not very happy right now.
Also, this thing is an awfully designed gadget with piss-poor battery life. The HD plugin they were advertising before this thing came out has yet to materialize. Archos is a scummy company and I shall be sticking with Apple products from now on.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:31 am 
Archos User
Archos User

blargh wrote:
The hard drive on mine just died. And it seems like Archos has made replacing it is difficult/impossible. So, not very happy right now.
Also, this thing is an awfully designed gadget with piss-poor battery life. The HD plugin they were advertising before this thing came out has yet to materialize. Archos is a scummy company and I shall be sticking with Apple products from now on.

have fun converting your files! :badgrin: :badgrin: :lol: :lol: =D>

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:28 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Wow!!!!!!

Archos owners and users are OVERWHELMING SATISFIED with their Archos 605!

This is great news. It means Archos has delivered a product that is not only functional, but makes us all happy - despite any typical shortcomings (blabber about the touch screen, or the battery depleting, which is all normal after time anyway - to those few complainers out there.)

The great thing I love about my Archos 605 is how Archos continually updates it and fixes any bugs that come up. The last firmware update seemed to address quite a few issues, and I'm guessing the next scheduled firmware update should be coming out very shortly.

As their flagship product, the Archos 605 is destined to make anybody happy. You have the future in your hands!

Post subject: 4 out of 6 possible
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Got my Archos 605 wifi about a month ago.Bought it off the net just by looking at it and reading about it.
Bought it for two reasons mainly, video playback and the WiFi. After some headache with my home network
i can now browse and stream from my main comp. The movie and music streaming is flawless all around the house.
Very pleased with this indeed! Browsing the web also good. Video playback in general is very good.
I like the touchscreen to, i find it responsive and pretty accurate.
Looks like some parts and functions on the Archos is vell developed and of high quality, and some are not.
It looks dated and has a strange hospital like finish.
I constantly keep changing the wallpaper and icon color, never satisfied with the way it looks.
It`s just plain ugly thats all.
It doesn`t play loud enough and the battery sucks.
The docking solution is ridiculous (i now have 3 docking stations!?)
Strange product indeed.. I love some parts and i hate some parts.
I had plenty of mp3 players but never a ipod, so i cant compare those two.
But i give the Archos-605 4 out of 6 possible.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:46 am 
Archos User
Archos User

bobtherr wrote:
I own and Archos 605 and an iphone 3G. The 605 is great for viewing videos. I iphone is far superior for everything else, including ease of use and functionality.

I think this is one thing every Archos 605 user can unanimously agree on - the Archos 605 is superior for viewing videos. With no conversion I can throw just about any video file at my Archos 605 and it will show it in high quality.

This is the one thing Archos has concentrated on - for years, my friend. They have the leg up on viewing videos. This may be why you notice that other device can do other things easier.

However, the Archos 605 is about to end its life cycle and become abandonware. I highly suggest looking into Archos 5 instead, or wait until September 2009 for the Next Generation of Archos. Entertainment MY way!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:19 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

randomspeedfreak wrote:
4 months in to my ownership and i have had time to decide what i think of my archos 605 30gb

now ive had ipods, irivers and iaudios, so im no mp3 hating ipod natzi, but what I cant understand is how anybody could possibly consider the 605 as a challenger to the ipod touch, let alone superior!

despite some ok features on the 605,

the touch screen is practically useless, the interface is difficult to get used to,and I would say on average mine crashes 3 times a day in light use.

It lags on almost every action, and if you don't wait for its lagging it crashes.

It organises files in difficult ways, and often just leaves files out.

I would say once or twice weekly it decides to wipe all my music and i have to clear system cache, this take about 20 minutes to do each time.

its massive, obviously i knew this when i bought it, and i wouldn't mind its size if it actually performed its function well.

the sound volume is disastrously quiet, and has very few settings.

unfortunately these features don't save the 605, i would still overall rate it as crap

Agreed. Mine crashes pretty much every day that I use it, and usually each crash takes a half-hour to reboot and reload the ARC library when it does crash, and it's a pretty lousy music player compared to even the Creative Nomad series. It's a good video player, but I rarely have the battery life to watch videos, what with it doing a full ARC update half the time I try to listen to music.

I seriously doubt that I'll buy another Archos product. I might just wait until Creative or Cowon puts out a large capacity player.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello everyone,
First of all congrats for the great forum and many thanks to the admins and mods that keep this forum on the net so that we can speak our minds.
I became an owner of an archos 605wifi 4GB pmp just yesterday but i was reading this forum for some days now. I have to say that even though i was excited and thrilled that i received it, charged it up and finally opened it i was very disappointed when it just kept crashing after some scrolling. The screen becomes unusable and in striped colours (forgive my english) and i have to restart it to get it to work again. i noticed that it would crash when i was doing quick exploring or picture scrolling with the bar. The screen quality, the sound and everything else was great but i can't understand if its manufacturing problems or if it was damaged by the deliverers. I was so excited but so disappointed to have this problem but i dont know what can i do. Please give me some advice if you know something. Again great work with the forum.

Thank you

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:14 am 
Archos User
Archos User

conan78 wrote:
Hello everyone,
First of all congrats for the great forum and many thanks to the admins and mods that keep this forum on the net so that we can speak our minds.
I became an owner of an archos 605wifi 4GB pmp just yesterday but i was reading this forum for some days now. I have to say that even though i was excited and thrilled that i received it, charged it up and finally opened it i was very disappointed when it just kept crashing after some scrolling. The screen becomes unusable and in striped colours (forgive my english) and i have to restart it to get it to work again. i noticed that it would crash when i was doing quick exploring or picture scrolling with the bar. The screen quality, the sound and everything else was great but i can't understand if its manufacturing problems or if it was damaged by the deliverers. I was so excited but so disappointed to have this problem but i dont know what can i do. Please give me some advice if you know something. Again great work with the forum.

Thank you
RMA it. Did you get it from Amazon (refurb) by any chance? To fix the screen problem, let the backlight turn off, and then press a button or tap the screen, you don't need to turn it off/on to get rid of it. I would upgrade to the latest firmware to see if that fixes your problems.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:18 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i bought it from http://www.pixmania.com refurb. i thought it was updated to the latest fw but its not after i checked. I hope when i install the new fw it d be fixed [-o< . How do i rma it? do i need to do it after the update or b4? thanx for the quick reply by the way i sure appreciate it :)

p.s. i do not have the intension to prevend people from buying the archos. its an amazing pmp and its the solution i was looking for to read my ecomics.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:33 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I don't know, the site should have something about RMA policy. The latest firmware isn't going to fix that, it's a hardware issue, not software. I don't think that company is going to care if you RMA it with the firmware that came with it or a newer firmware. A good way to avoid the screen from getting the random colors is to avoid using the touchscreen and use the buttons.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:32 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After installing the latest filmware everything's ok. happened just once but it was ok after the backlight went off. tsupertronic thanks.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

conan78 wrote:
i bought it from http://www.pixmania.com refurb. i thought it was updated to the latest fw but its not after i checked. I hope when i install the new fw it d be fixed [-o< . How do i rma it? do i need to do it after the update or b4? thanx for the quick reply by the way i sure appreciate it :)

p.s. i do not have the intension to prevend people from buying the archos. its an amazing pmp and its the solution i was looking for to read my ecomics.

I also ordered it from Pixmania as a refurbished product and received it just today. The firmware on my device seems to be upgraded to the latest.

My impressions? Well, I was simply amazed when I first held it, as I've never before had a gadget with a touch screen and so many possibilities. Everything works fine for me so far, except at some point the battery heated up and the backlight didn't turn off. It was alright after I restarted the device. There's one thing that bothers me a bit, though. I noticed some minor scratches and wear on the player, which I didn't actually expect from a refurbished product.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:40 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After 5 days of being an archos 605 owner I must say I am really disappointed buying this. At the first day I had problems with the screen every time I was working with the touch option. After installing the latest filmware and using mostly the buttons I had less problems but still the screen froze when I touched the screen for some times. Then I noticed the really crappy battery life. What kind of gadget needs 6-7 hours of charging and after 2 hours working maximum it needs to be charged again??? That was not the only issues I had though. I had almost all the small issues I read in the forum for the last days as I was trying to find solutions every time something occurred. And that was not its final word. From last night when I turn it on it says system failure code 102. After doing all 3 options (no, repair, format) it pops up the same issue but with code 104 and none of the options works (no, repair, format). Afterwards it says connect to ur pc to install an update. WHAT UPDATE??? AND HOW???
Jeez I just bought the damn thing and nothing works ok. What a waste of money after all. Oh and I was really stupid enough not to believe that could happen to me since there is a WHOLE FORUM JUST FOR PROBLEMS OF ARCHOS (no offence to the forum which is really helpful) but I think we deserve to be treated better from companies like archos.
WHY DO THEY EVEN THINK TO SELL PRODUCTS WITH A LOT OF BUGS, ISSUES AND SO POOR BATTERY LIFE???
I dont care about my money spending so much but when someone is violating my consumer rights it makes me furious. Archos will definitely hear from me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So happy i have now got 2. one sits in its dock happily recording whilst i am travelling. when i get home i swap them over. The only niggle i have is the 5 series looks so cool i want one.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 381 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19 20 Next