Yes 69%  69%  [ 540 ]
No 17%  17%  [ 132 ]
Undecided 14%  14%  [ 109 ]
Total votes: 781
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:12 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Iam very happy with mine :D
I know there are still some teething problems with the device,but ive had no major issues with mine.
Video,music,recording and streaming all working great.
I dont have the low volume issue some ppl have been complaining about-- inbuilt speaker and earphones are giving me ample volume.
The minor niggle i have is when i lose wifi connection the unit freezes up,but hoping a firmware update will fix this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

You Damn Skippy. I Love My 605 160GB. I Have Had All Good Experiences With Mine :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:12 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i think if i ever get the plugins, i'll like it even more. i'd really like to see a sleep timer too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:54 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Helll Yeah !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:59 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Very pleased with it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:28 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Another happy customer here :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:41 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Just got my 160 GB unit yesterday. It hasn't been perfect but it's flawlessly played about 90% of what I've thrown at it without problems. And 90% of that last 10% I can just demux/mux or re-encode from source and solve the issues.

(none of the reviews mentioned that the buttons on the side are "blumpy", there's a big bump around the arrow keys. I like it a lot and it makes blind manipulation of the controls VERY VERY easy. I tried taking a picture of it but it's so subtle it doesn't show up.)

Is there any way to figure out the date of manufacture from the serial number or product key? Maybe we could start a list of units without issues and try to figure out which batches are problematic. That way people in stores could avoid bad units and if you're shipped a potentially bad unit you can exchange it unopened without restocking fees. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

im on my new 605wifi now and im very happy with it. its just what i expected. getting used to the virtual keypad at the moment.... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:13 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I am now on my 2nd 160, but i still love it. I am returning my first one because the volume UP button broke, but other than that, its a fantastic piece of machinery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:43 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Got my 605 last week. A few lock ups, but apart from that great.
Better resulution than my AV500, or 700TV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:08 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'll be happy with it once they start supporting x264 MKVs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:52 am 
Archos User
Archos User

OMG!! After weeks of reading this forum I finally got my 605/160Gb and I must say the screen in particular is amazing. I have ripped 12 or so films and they look unbelievable. And the demo photos; wow. This screen is so amazing!

Now I have to figure out the plug-ins. If I go to web and then plugins and select "buy now" it takes me to my shopping cart. However, no matter how many times I select buy now my cart stays empty. I registered fine.

I'm sure I will figure it out.

Post subject: im very happy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i love it, i had a 30GB COWON A2, it worked great until someone broke into my house and stole it just a few days before my birthday :( . So i wanted to buy something better and i bought the 30GB ARCHOS 605, which is better in almost every way 8): it loads everything faster, has a better and bigger display, the touch screen is very fun. i only have a little complain, the battery in the COWON could do like 8 hours of video the ARCHOS doesnt.

But with the battery dock the ARCHOS could do something similar. I LOVE THE ARCHOS 605 is way more better that those CRAPPY I-PODS, which are very popular in Costa Rica, my country, because no one dont brings COWON┬┤s or ARCHOS┬┤s, The ARCHOS could cost like $600 with taxes in here. LOL :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thrilled with mine - just wondering if I should have waited for the 605 WiFi with TV (which no doubt will be Archos next launch) and then I would have everything I needed.

Slight problem at the moment with background noise on recorded TV but I should be able to sort that.

Bought some films and they are brilliant, excellent picture and sound - still have not been successful in encoding my own DVD's to put on the Archos - could do with some help with this.

Locks up occasionally and loses Wifi connection occasionally, but overall = love it to bits.

Post subject: Lovin" It
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:44 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just got my 605 and after I finally got the firmware to install, I could not put it down. This PMP is amazing. The only down side is the battery takes for ever to charge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:11 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I could love the device if someone could solve the annoying static that I experience when streaming media from my PC when using headphones!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I like it but voted no because:

It's too picky about where media types have to go.
Codecs which should be part of it are paid for.
Even the web browser is an extra.
The battery charge time and life are poor.
The UI is very clunky.
Internal speaker sounds terrible.
The auto power off doesn't work

I could carry on with all the little things that annoy me about this, but I won't.

Post subject: Love it.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:30 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

No issues to speak of, newer firmware has even reduced the lockup issue with WiFi signal loss (making me even happier).

Like pretty much everything about this little beast!!!

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

chrisduffer wrote:
I like it but voted no because:
Codecs which should be part of it are paid for.
Even the web browser is an extra.
The UI is very clunky.

i have to say that i also have some issues and yes the UI could be better, especially the music player.

But to say that Codes and Webbrowser should be part of it i don't agree with that. Why is it then nobody seems to want to pay for software on these kind of products or for example for smart phones? Does your pc come with everything? I don't think so.

Why make an archos 50$ more expensive so that you could have your browser and codes? I think they do it now right. Make it cheap as possible and pay for extra software if you need it.

What is a pity compared to for examples phones is that only archos can supply software for it there is no thirth party market.
Thats why maybe if Nokia makes the N810 a little bit more a PMP (larger hd's and so on) it could be a big competitor. But i think archos should go the other way. They should make it a little bit more like a tablet gadget. They are soooo close...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:14 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Definitely happy with my 605 (160 GB version)

Plays many of the videos i already have, some i have to recode, but it's not much of a hassle, much less than with players where i have to convert just about everything.

Problems i had are few and quickly fixed, mostly a reboot solved it (video not playing in spite of supported codec), or re-tagging my mp3s so that they are sorted correctly.

Battery life is good enough for me, i also have the Battery Dock so i can charge it in a reasonable time